Supra Forums banner

High Powered 5MGE

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Kingsoup 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I dunno how I would search for this so.... Here it goes.
I am planning on rebuilding my 5MGE while my car gets painted. As I was looking on celicasupra.com I saw some nice upgrades I can do for better performance. Here is a list of what I am doing. I have some questions though so please bare with me.

Port, polish, 3-angle valve job w/ stronger valves and springs for cylinder head
More aggressive cams
Bore out cylinders w/ bigger pistons and crank
Thinner head gasket to raise compression
Retune AFM and/or increase fuel pressure
Adjustable cam gears
Bore out throttle body w/ larger intake pipe and a ram air setup
Nitrous. 50

Really its everything they were saying people can do with the 5MGE. But here comes the questions.
--What type of valves and valve springs should I get and where to get them? What are the specs on them so I know exactly what I need?
--What cams should I use? I hear AEM are nice cam gears.
--OK a big question. When I walk into the shop to get my cylinders, what should I request? What pistons and what crank should I get and use? Size and specs? What should I ask them to bore it out to?
--Adjustable cam gears. again, no clue what I should get. I have read that the adjustable cams with three screws and not good to use. They are not as reliable I have heard.

Lastly I am thinking of going with rabidchimps Performance Throttle Body.

I am sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn and this is a new experience for me.

BTW - I have an 83 P-Type.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
The first question is how much power you wont? there are many ways of going about it. first, is the 5m going to meet the goals of the power and the money you're puting in?
there are 6m, 7m, 1jz, 2jz, ect.. engines to think about to lower your cost and the big question is parts. Parts on a 5m and 6m are not ez to find and can cost more. just somethang to think about.

villerat

#4 ·
I am looking for just enough power to play with. I am getting a 3rd gen in a few months so I don't see a need for a swap. I cannot even get my tires spinning in water atm. My car is acting SLOW. BTW what do these run stock in the 1/4 mile? Thanks

#7 ·
Meh, a shop that bores and builds a 5MGE would be quite expensive. If you want too bore it out, just buy the 6MGE, its a pre-built stroker.

Really, you could spend thousands and thousands on it, and end up with lesser a motor then a 1JZ. I wouldn't bother with turbo 5M or 6M, avoid the 7MGTE as its a piece of crap motor. You could spend 10k and still end up with less a motor then the 1JZ is from the factory.

Your only route is 6MGE or 1JZ-GTE, I wouldn't even consider anything else, too costly, or too troublesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.