Supra Forums banner

How fast are stock turbo supra?

16K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  soup 
#1 ·
I was wonder how fast are stock turbo supra? What if you have the usualy things such as intake, exhause, timer? How much can stock engine take on boost?

#2 ·
in stock form, the MKIII is a slow pig. 1/4 somewhere in the 15s, 0-60 in like 7 sec......boooorrrriiinng.

the best you'll manage on the stock turbo will be low 13s.....that's w/a load of supporting mods....

as for your "how much boost" question, it doesn't work. its not how much boost, its how much power. X psi on Y turbo DOES NOT = X psi on Z turbo.....FWIW i am running a stock bottom end, hovering around the 500rwhp mark....

G
#4 ·
w/ a great driver, on a cold night.. at sea level they can bust high 14's stock ...

Most will see 15's ....

Totally lame small restrictive exhaust, and other parts, low boost = crappy 1/4 mile times...

For example, I put on an HKS Downpipe (which is crappy ... not a good one) .. and was still running a CAT- and I knocked off a half second on my 1/4 time.... They have a good deal of potential, and respond well to mods (turbos are great :) )

..... Thats about all I can think off right now ...

Oh, the stock engine can take a shitload of power... as long as you have supporting bolt ones.. the motor itself can probably take 600 HP reliably, maybe more ??! ... its a tough SOB ...

G
#5 ·
Best way to get power....

New Downpipe and Turbo Elbow... should run you like $300+ .... (or less if you have custom built)

Other exhaust parts $100-200 .... (Custom)

... Intake ($100 or less if you shop ebay) ...

.... and a $20 Manual Boost controller will make tons of power...

With a setup like that, you can get up around 275 or more HP ... and run 13's ....

The only problem with the MKIII Supra is the Head Gasket... Stock, it was not torque enough, and they often blow ... HKS, Greddy and others make Metal Head Gaskets that will correct this problem and allow for big HP ..... (The stocker needs to atleast be torqued down) ...

G
#11 ·
Those are pretty respectable numbers, but no where near what this beast is capable of. Just let the car breath and it will snap ur head back with a quickness...also if you flow more fuel (i.e. 550s, Lex AFM, Fuel Rail, Fuel Pump) your gonna get close to 350 hp easily. As for how much boost it can take........thats an open ended question, the stock headgasket will blow up anywhere above 9psi...that happend to my car before i owned it, but now with the 1.2mm MHG I can handle well over 20 psi ( i cant wait). when you decide on an exhaust system, get it, as long as its custom built at a muffler shop because they make it better and it costs a WHOLE lot less. As of right now i have HKS ( <--SHIT!) dp, but its alot better then the garden hose that the stocker was. Well good luck!
:sai:

#13 ·
G
#14 ·
im bout to start adding some shit to my supra soon, like a custom 3 in mandrel bent exhaust, and prolly an intake, and a turbo elbow and downpipe if i can find a place or someone that can help me so i dont fuck my car up with things i dont need

G
#15 ·
A full exhaust system is prolly the best mod you can do. After you do a MHG, GET AN EXHAUST. With a stock exhaust you wont feel much at all. Slap some 3 inch pipeing on there and you will feel much more power faster spool and the turbo will boost harder. Get your self a boost controler and take the boost up to right under fuel cut. You will have your self a pretty sick street machine then, compared to stock. I can pull on alot of V8s fairly easily (LS1s slaugter me as expected) Of course my turbo is a tad bit larger than the stocker :D

G
#17 ·
-=Supra=-PhoBoi said:
Those are pretty respectable numbers, but no where near what this beast is capable of. Just let the car breath and it will snap ur head back with a quickness...also if you flow more fuel (i.e. 550s, Lex AFM, Fuel Rail, Fuel Pump) your gonna get close to 350 hp easily.
:sai:
Are you talking rwhp? Cause with those mods you will have well over 400 at the crank. Please specify when talking hp if it's rwhp or crank cause a lot of people might be confused.:)

G
#18 ·
drjonez said:
in stock form, the MKIII is a slow pig. 1/4 somewhere in the 15s, 0-60 in like 7 sec......boooorrrriiinng.

the best you'll manage on the stock turbo will be low 13s.....that's w/a load of supporting mods....

as for your "how much boost" question, it doesn't work. its not how much boost, its how much power. X psi on Y turbo DOES NOT = X psi on Z turbo.....FWIW i am running a stock bottom end, hovering around the 500rwhp mark....
one of my boys ran a 13.3 @104 on street tires. this was on 15psi,3inch exhaust no cats, downpipe,hard piping,fuzo ic, act clutch, vpc and a filter. this was on the stock fuel system and there was no weight reduction done. the car weighed at 3750 with him in it. soo a 12 can be done with ease with a good driver and some radials or slicks. a jig saw and some time to rip sh#! apart is all you need.

G
#19 ·
On that mhg, which is a good brand to buy? I heard HKS had a good one, what do you use? And can you put it on yourself with out extreme amounts of trouble? I like to do my own work and was just wondering if it was worth it.

#20 ·
Yeah right, I'd like to see a normal person drive a stock turbo to a 14 second 1/4 mile. Only a secretly modified turbo or an expert drag racer could do that. Stock turbo's are dog slow, you will get waxed by a Maxima :p

HKS and GReddy both make good head gaskets. HKS is cheaper, GReddy is slightly preferred - slightly better construction.

#21 ·
Bishop92T said:
Yeah right, I'd like to see a normal person drive a stock turbo to a 14 second 1/4 mile. Only a secretly modified turbo or an expert drag racer could do that. Stock turbo's are dog slow, you will get waxed by a Maxima :p
true that. i consider myself a pretty decent driver, and no way in hell can i pull high 14's on a stock MKIII turbo. Best I did stock was 15.17 @ 92mph and that was after letting my car cool down a bit. with drag radials i can see it, but not with stock sized 225/50/16 street rubber.

#22 ·
I just got my engine rebuilt... i ended up using the felpro headgasket. I am broke as hell and this job already ended up costing my around 2 grand. How good are these compared to the 87 stock head gaskets? Will I be able to boost any higher, or should i just wait and get a mhg in a while? I will be waiting a while to do mods because i am broke as sin.

#23 ·
mk37mge said:

one of my boys ran a 13.3 @104 on street tires. this was on 15psi,3inch exhaust no cats, downpipe,hard piping,fuzo ic, act clutch, vpc and a filter. this was on the stock fuel system and there was no weight reduction done. the car weighed at 3750 with him in it. soo a 12 can be done with ease with a good driver and some radials or slicks. a jig saw and some time to rip sh#! apart is all you need.
i ran 13.3 @ 106 w/roughly the same mods back in the day.....see my site for actual timeslips/mods.....

#24 ·
Bishop92T said:

HKS and GReddy both make good head gaskets. HKS is cheaper, GReddy is slightly preferred - slightly better construction.
I for one can say that is true. My parents own a 2000 maxima. Even though it is automatic it is fasssst. You can just tell it is faster. It feels WAY lighter and it revs much quicker. On the other hand tho i'm sure my 87 T could beat it at speeds higher than 120 kph.

Derek

G
#26 ·
Derk, No offense, but it just feels faster?!? I know the maxima's are fast, my friend has a brand spanking new one and it still could barely break into 15's. Sounds like something a true ricer would say. Yeah, a dumptruck FEELS fast going downhill!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.