Field's SFC Hyper R Fuel Controller

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Field's SFC Hyper R Fuel Controller

ElusiveStreetRacing elusivesuprat's Avatar

Field's SFC Hyper R Fuel Controller

Alright i have never heard or this fuel controller before...does anyone have one or know if its worthy?
    ESR "Not the fastest, Simply the hardest to catch!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

BPU is so 1997
    Andi B endorses it.

I plan on getting this in a few months. Several Dallas guys have it and like it. It has 3 maps you can store so you can tune one for race gas and one for pump!
    Adam

-09 Cyber Gray Z06

BPU is so 1997
    I have one sitting in my toolbox awaiting installation as well.

SupraForums Member
    I have that Field SFC unit. I like it. IMO, in real-world use the Apex S-AFC is probably the best fuel controller, and this Field unit is perhaps the 2nd best.

Steve Hayes

Why? Erratic behavior or other? Looks like this is better: Adjustment ranges from +/- 50%. The Super AFC boasts an 8-point adjustable fuel curve with 500 RPM increment setting points. The Fields can go +/- 30% on 8 points in 1000 rpm increments.

I'm leaning towards the Fields so I can have a map without meth, with meth only, and with meth + 50 shot of NOS.

Also, I cannot get the AFR below 10.4 with the GCC at max fuel pull. I've even tried pulling out 2 clicks on the VPC and still 10.2 AFR on meth.

So, I'm hoping that the Fields unit will help me pull out more fuel on meth only plus then have another setting, presumably pulling out less fule when spraying a 50 shot on top.

TIA!

manual on MKIV

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/sfc/

Originally posted by Boost Junkie
    I have that Field SFC unit. I like it. IMO, in real-world use the Apex S-AFC is probably the best fuel controller, and this Field unit is perhaps the 2nd best.

Steve Hayes
    Last edited by Spool; 12-03-2003 at 12:09 AM.
    98 TT 6spd Black/Black BPU++'s (SOLD Sad Day :( )
    If it's got a motor, race it!

07 BMW 335i - 6 speed, 19" CSL Reps, Titanium Silver, Juice Box S2 & HOS Switch

SupraForums Member
    Spool, are you asking me why I say the S-AFC is better? I like the adjustable RPM points of the AFC, though I've had very little problem getting the curve flat enough with the fixed 1000 RPM increments of the SFC.

IME, if you start making wild swings in the adjustments -- for example, adding 15% at 4K RPM and pulling 25% at 4500 RPM -- The AFR curve may just go crazy -- it may stop responding in a linear fashion relative to the input on the fuel controller. What I'm trying to say is that it seems that the factory ECU with piggy back units doesn't like wild swings in the fuel curve.

Here's an example: Once, on the dyno, we were trying to flatten out a rich dip at 4K RPM and a lean spike in the 5K RPM range. We were pulling a bit of fuel at 4K and then adding a good bit at 5K RPM. Once we got the swing to about 20% total (say, pulling 10% at 4K and adding 10% at 5K), the AFR started going in the opposite direction we were adjusting for. By that I mean we'd add fuel at 5K RPM, and the AFR would get even leaner there. Then, we went back, zeroed everything out, and started from scratch without the wild swings, and it smoothed up nicely without pulling or adding more than a few %.

If you are having to adjust more than the 30% that the SFC will allow, there's probably something wrong with the car somewhere (though I understand in your particular case you are thinking about pulling fuel to be replaced with methanol).

FWIW, my AFR is just about dead flat at high 11s with the VPC and SFC all set flat (no boost or cut). I think I'm pulling about 1 or 2% in a place or two on the SFC, but otherwise everything is flat. It just works out that way on my car with the VPC C chip, SFC, GA head and intake, 264 cams, and 74GTR turbo.

Steve Hayes
    Originally posted by Spool
    Why? Erratic behavior or other? Looks like this is better: Adjustment ranges from +/- 50%. The Super AFC boasts an 8-point adjustable fuel curve with 500 RPM increment setting points. The Fields can go +/- 30% on 8 points in 1000 rpm increments.

I'm leaning towards the Fields so I can have a map without meth, with meth only, and with meth + 50 shot of NOS.

Also, I cannot get the AFR below 10.4 with the GCC at max fuel pull. I've even tried pulling out 2 clicks on the VPC and still 10.2 AFR on meth.

So, I'm hoping that the Fields unit will help me pull out more fuel on meth only plus then have another setting, presumably pulling out less fule when spraying a 50 shot on top.

TIA!

manual on MKIV

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/sfc/

I use it, it is beautiful in its simplicity. I have a pump gas-17 psi map, race gas map for 25 psi and the last one for 28 psi, all changed by touching one button.
    '94 Supra T

So how was the install? How does this compare to the SAFC2?
    95 Black/Black TT 6-spd
    12.07 @ 118.4

SupraForums Member
    Install is pretty simple. Just hard-wire it in to the Field's harness (or the PHR alternative to the Field's). Of course you COULD hardwire it into the factory ECU harness, but IMO you should NOT make modifications to the factory ECU harness -- you should always use a Field's type harness for adding piggy-back electronics. There just isn't enough excess wire on the factory ECU harness, and with all the screwing around, you're likely to evenually cause connection problems or something if you don't use a harness extension like the Field's.

Steve Hayes

does the safc2 let your store maps like the fields? if so, how many?

Super Big D. Moderator White_lightning's Avatar
    I have it .. and love it..

check it out..
    http://www.jadesupra.net/Supra.html
    D.
    2008 C6 BPU++
    Tuned by Sam.
    No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Just saw this as I was searching through the archives...good link

SupraForums Member ::MySTiK_[SuPRa]::'s Avatar
    Another happy Fields SFC user here.
    -Phu
    1994 White Supra 6SPD T67DBB

SupraForums Member
    It's old school but it works well. Funny this post should get dredged-up (must be a noob).

Quote Originally Posted by MtFujiSupra
    It's old school but it works well. Funny this post should get dredged-up (must be a noob).
    Actually not a noob, just thought I'd use the ol search button as opposed to starting a new thread and Mystik was nice enough to help me out.. Thanks again

SupraForums Member ::MySTiK_[SuPRa]::'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 89MKIIIT
    Actually not a noob, just thought I'd use the ol search button as opposed to starting a new thread and Mystik was nice enough to help me out.. Thanks again

Hey man,

Did you figure out what the problem was?

-Phu

Quote Originally Posted by ::MySTiK_[SuPRa]::
    Hey man,

Did you figure out what the problem was?

-Phu
    Ya sure did. I just coupled it with the VPC and its good to go. The Yellow wire from the VPC to the input of the SFC then SFC output to ECU. Works great. Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text