Supra Forums banner

2JZ in an MKIII?

150K views 297 replies 101 participants last post by  suprahajimoto 
G
#1 ·
I am sorry for posting this if it is a big question. I haven't been on this board forever and i am almost SURE i posted this exact same thign before, but when i went to search for it, it was gone? :confused:
Anywyas, has anyone ever done that? Does it work good? how much could i get a 2JZ for? new? used? where from? All advice WILL be appreciated!! Thanks!

#7 · (Edited)
Kinda lays to waste all the 1jzgte upgrades eh?
Why go 1JZ when the 2JZ fits just fine, has more power, is parts friendly for the US market and Damn, just is AWESOME!!! :)
Since you have to go single to really make them fit right, and to make the most power (otherwise, why bother?) I'm thinking a nice used 2jzge with the VVTi from the new IS300's (etc) would be the best. Have you seen the dyno sheets from these motors? They have a flat torque curve that must be very fun to drive. I'd imagine they have power anywhere from 1500 to 5500, no peak, just a nice flat 400 ft lbs to motivate your car.
There are also lots of new piggyback mods being developed for the late model 2jzge, so with a complete ECU, Engine swap into a MK3 and the developed piggybacks, single turbo, and modded to our 3" exhaust, they would be a very good mod here very soon.
Any thoughts anyone?
(PS: I understand these are NA motors with a turbo on them. They still run nice 450hp, 400tq numbers, and due to the higher compression, you can run a smaller turbo with quick spool, and still get good numbers. Just think about when you upgrade the NA to lower compression pistons, mild rebuild and more boost? Whoo YA! Upgrades into 800hp territory are not out of the question. Wonder if the new AEM will support VVTi? )
:rice: :burn:

#8 ·
Well all this talking about fitting the V160 is such a major job - after doing the measurements and such, the biggest problem will be making the speedo work off it - if at all.

I've recently aquired a 95 2jz-gte front cut complete with that ever so lush V160 that should be going into my 89 supra in the next few weeks.

As for the Diff being a problem, even with the 3.73 gears the gearbox has more than usuable ratios and if not, Toyota sells 3.22 diff gears for the G series diff.

The firewall modifications being mentioned are only a problem for left hand drive supras, right hand drive supras don't have this problem, probably because the motor was designed for a right hand drive car to begin with ;)

#11 ·
Clutch Question

Ok I have a 2JZ conversion. Im runing the Mk4 N/A flywheel with 7M pressure plate and clutch disk. I need to know if there is a clutch that would support 700-800 HP and it is not $1000+ or multi-plate.

The car is not driven in the city too much...

#15 ·
Re: Clutch Question

2JZ_MA70 said:
Ok I have a 2JZ conversion. Im runing the Mk4 N/A flywheel with 7M pressure plate and clutch disk. I need to know if there is a clutch that would support 700-800 HP and it is not $1000+ or multi-plate.

The car is not driven in the city too much...
id go with the wotm one from http://store.yahoo.net/wotmstore/wotmcomclutch.html 800 bucks cant beat that and proven already for alot of hps

#17 ·
I OWN AN 87 TURBO 5-SPEED.... i really would like to do the 2jz swap on my supra.... i've seen 88's and up... i haven't seen the 87 with this 2jz engine... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO THIS CONVERSION ON MY 87 SUPRA???.... thanks in advance

#19 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd share a few pictures of the R154 compared to the V160 - side by side. This is a no if's or buts, but pure proof that the V160 is no 'monsterous' box that alot of people say it is.

It should also shut those up who say it's a major task in fitting the V160 in a MA7x transmission tunnel due to the amount of hammering, cutting and modifying of the tunnel- which I've read on a few well known sites - this is false information and written without the facts behind it.

Enjoy the pictures.....

G
#27 ·
could i drop a 2jz in my 90 nz supra dats auto?? an where can i find a 2jz dat doesnt have high miles...it doesnt matter if its na or a tt.........an how much would i be lookin at in total for the engine? an approx for all the work to b done by a professional?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.