Supra Forums banner

NA - Aristo TT swap

24K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  badfish 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a list of what I have done on my 2jzgte Aristo swap
I had a 1997 Toyota Supra NA auto
Bought an Aristo 2jzgte Auto
It came with Igniter and Aristo ECU and Aristo harness
Swapped oil pans (Front sump to mid sump) Chrome upper and lower pans; )
Bought the oil return pipe to fit the upper oil pan return since Aristos is angled differently
Took off Aristo engine brackets. Bought chrome 93-96 Engine brackets :)
Bought TRD engine mounts
Kept Ariso Alternator
Swapped Aristo a/c pump with NA a/c pump
Took off NA p/s pump resivoir, swapped p/s pumps, and bought TT resivoir
Bought a polished usdm TT water pump
Bought USDM 95 Auto Harness
Swapped harness, everything fit except injector clips and fuse box connector
Soldered aristo injector clips on along w/ Intake air temperature clip to harness
Soldered NA fuse box clip from NA harness
EGR Gas Temp Sensor left unplugged *No EGR on JDMs or Aristos
EGR VSV sensor left unplugged right under coolant temp sesnor by water pump *No EGR on JDMs or Aristos
Don't have an O2 sensor yet (Have to find a way to bolt usdm dp to jdm bolt pattern)
No resistor pack since the Aristo injectors are high impedance
Checked crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensors
Would my car originally being a 97 w/ obdII cause problems since it is a 95 engine harness and 93-95 aristo ecu?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Currently swapping A340E parts from NA to the TT tranny. Swapping valve bodies, shimming accumulators 1-2 2-3 shifts, adding kickdown cable.
Since I swapped valve bodies I had to swap the harnesses for them. The TT plug is a 6 wire and the NA is a 2 or 3 wire. Been looking for a way to wire the old NA plug onto the TT harness. I have found nothing. Anybody done this or know someone that can help?

See less See more
#2 ·
Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Currently A340E parts from NA to the TT tranny. Swapping valve bodies, shimming accumulators 1-2 2-3 shifts, adding kickdown cable.
Since I swapped valve bodies I had to swap the harnesses for them. The TT plug is a 6 wire and the NA is a 2 or 3 wire. Been looking for a way to wire the old NA plug onto the TT harness. I have found nothing. Anybody done this or know someone that can help?
ur swaping part between trannys ???? Ur putting NA parts into the TT trans can u explain why ?

#7 ·
I know someone who has a front sump pan (pm me).

Also the Aristo ECU will be able to control the turbo transmission. Or am I reading it wrong.

Jeff

#10 ·
yeah you forgot to compensate for the MAF on the USDM harness as opposed to the MAP based setup for the Aristo.

Aristo Intake air temperature is mounted on the intake manifold.
Air temp sensor on the USDM harness is part of the MAF setup I believe. (Someone correct me if Im wrong )

This means some pins will have to move and some plugs rewired to use the Aristo ecu.

#11 · (Edited)
So I....swapped some injector clips while wiring them onto the usdm harness.. :stupid: Fixed that..Now my car turns over from the ignition. Just need to figure out if I get fuel and fire.

OK so I can take the wire for air temp sensor and wire it into where my IAT sensor is. No repinning at the ECU?

#12 ·
I am having the swap done for me. I have helped my buddy put a JDM B16 in his EG but that was easy everything was just plug and play, I would not attempt this swap on my own, I am not that electronically inclined.
The Aristo transmission works fine.

The only issue so far, is the Tach and A/C not working I found info on bypassing the signal to the tach not sure how to get the A/C to work any help would be appreciated

#13 ·
hmmm. When I extended my harness, the A/C worked just fine. The plug for the A/C is in the Aristo harness. I guess just make sure it's plugged up, and not missing, etc?

Jeff

#14 ·
Wait, i just had to re-read that. I have a true Aristo swap (2JZ-GTE into a Lexus GS300). I think the Supra's A/C system would be different, and controlled by a seperate box, the Aristo's A/C just runs through the Aristo harness.

Jeff

#17 ·
Ok. Lets see if I can explain this better:

1) the Aristo ECU needs to use the Aristo J3 series transmission.
The stock cable actuated transmission has a different output shaft, and the solenoids work differently (one needs power for line pressure, or something, the other grounds to get line pressure).

The best thing to do is use the Aristo J3 Transmission with the Aristo ECU. Everything will be happy, you just need to make the driveshaft work. The J3 series A340 transmission has a "J3" on the top of the bellhousing. the N/A version has J2 (I THINK!)

The J3 is stronger internally, and is electronically controlled. But has the same physical external dimention, but uses a different output flange than the Supra Transmission.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

#16 ·
If you have the Aristo ECU and wiring harness, almost EVERYTHING works through the Aristo harness

Use ALL Aristo sensors, TPS, throttle body, etc. The _ONLY_ thing I don't know about is the A/C system. I know it worked on MY gs300, but that's not a Supra, and my A/C Stuff is in the GS300 body with only two plugs on the harness. So mine just bolted right up and worked like a champ first time.

Since you're doing it in a Supra, the differences are:
Motor mounts (you need 2JZ supra mounts) (Stock N/A mounts would work fine)
oil pan (supra N/A oil pan would work fine, but you have to modify for oil return for turbos)
water pump (full back housing) from a 2JZ-GTE MKIV TT. (But I believe the N/A stuff would work, but you would lose the ability to water cool a turbo)
power steering pump, as you would need a TT resivoir, the N/A version is where the throttle body wishes to be :cool:.

you also need a TT throttle cable (or one from a 90's camry out of a junkyard for $10)

um, the transmission output shaft is a 6 bolt isolated flange (three per side). so you need to figure out driveshaft if using the Aristo's stock Auto transmission. The Aristo ECU cannot control the N/A transmission without modification, the 5/6speeds works just fine just need the correct sfats for them.

That's all I can think of right now. If you want PM me your phone number and you're free to ask questions all ya want.

Jeff

#18 · (Edited)
thanks, I have all the rest of the swap stuff down except the aristo tt transmission. I'm using every single aristo sensor, etc. dr tweak is merging my na/aristo harnesses, so it's supposed to be just plug n play. I'm confident I don't have any downshift issues, etc if I utilize the aristo ecu, but I just wanted to double-check. Ive read somewhere that I just need an sc400's front driveshaft, and that it will bolt right up to the tailshaft. correct me please if i am wrong.

#20 ·
no, everything from the Aristo will work with everything from an Aristo, no problem.

is when you try to use N/A Stuff, with the Aristo ECU that it would have a problem.

If you're using the stock Aristo ECU, and Stock Aristo transmission, everything will be just fine.

I don't know what the SC400 driveshaft looks like, so I don't know if it would work or not. I've only done this on my GS300, and I had to swap my N/A output flange onto my TT transmission, took me all of about 3 minutes, and everything bolted right up after that.

Jeff

Jeff

#22 ·
The Aristo has a 3-bolt flange. Its EASY to unbolt, and stick in a different flange. The MKIV supras have a small 4-bolt flange, the GS300s have a 3-bolt. I'm sure the sc300/400 has a similar flange, easy enough to change over.

Jeff

#24 ·
no, but I'll explain it, super easy.

1) find a socket that fits on the nut that holds the flange to the back of the transmission (32mm is a guess).

2) use an impact gun to pop nut off (leave transmission on "PARK")

3) tap the flange with a hammer gently, and watch it fall off.

4) grab the new flange, put it on, and re-torque it down with the impact gun (about 65ft-lbs I think).

5) done.

You're done.

#26 ·
Yes, the one on the left. You're just swapping that out for the one you need :cool:.

Jeff

#27 ·
The one on the left I'm going to assume is the sc400 (since I don't recognize it), the one on the right is either an Aristo part, or a GS300 part depending on spacing (which I cannot tell off the top of my head as they are nearly the same).

Jeff

#29 ·
I just took my supra drive shaft to a driveshaft shop, cost $350. I have heard different things on the SC400 drive shaft, I thought I remember reading they dont line up exactly.

Jeff,
I thought all A340 were the same?, how much HP can the Aristo TT tranny take?
Also I have notived the shift characteristics are different with the Aritso transmission, it seemed my old MKIV NA tranny held on to the gears longer and down shifted better. Could be all in my head though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.