Supra Forums banner

350z 6speed transmission

88K views 58 replies 37 participants last post by  rzmnco 
#1 ·
I was looking on ebay and these trans go for 500 and 1000$. Anyone already thought about if it can replace our getrag. I'm pretty sure there will be a way to fit these trans in our 2jz. we already have the th400 for the auto guys. I dont want to start a debate that the getrag is better then the 350z just curious what you guys think...or problably someone already did it.

#3 ·
I have a few friends that have 350Z's and the tranny's don't hold up that well. One friend broke his when his car was stock the 3rd gear was shrapnel'd with only a few months of hard pulls.

#4 ·
As other's have said...tranny's are good for most of thousands of 350's out there. You start to put it to the test and they just don't hold up, between synchro issues, clutch issues, slave cylinders....need we go on. Leave it in a Nissan (bumps up my paycheck to boot) haha.

#6 ·
I am not a Z car guy at all... never liked any of them, but thats just me. I have seen and heard bad things about that 6 speed... stay away... it can not hold any hp at all... They are a great swap trans for a KA34DE or a SR motor but anything pushing about 450 and most of the time less HP will kill that trans. There is a reason they sell so cheap... they are built cheap and do not last.

If you can not get the 3500 or so for a used Getrag v160 or v161 look into the T56 6speed. There are differnt T56's out there... go on google and learn about them.

From your sig you are also one of the auto guys... And there are way more trans options out there for the auto guys than just the TH400. Hell look at the new Titan I can only assume built auto trans... I am waiting to see some figures on that. If you want to make your auto TT faster buy the Titan Stall converter...

#11 ·
Two local 350Z guys with bigger hp have grenaded their 6-spds without even launching the car or running aggressive clutches. One was a built engine ~600whp TT car and another was a ~450whp Vortech blower car at the time it's tranny let go.

I don't know exactly what failed in both cases, but I know that a whole new gearbox had to be sourced. I wonder what went wrong if SP has punished theirs with 1200whp!

#12 ·
If I remember correctly 03-05 6 speed trannies on the 350z had a lot of issues with the syncros. Apparently issue was fixed in 2006... Other then that I don't see anything wrong with there trannies.

#15 ·
I was told some of the early model 6speed had some syncro issues but for the most part they are solid transmissions..
-Sam

#16 ·
My friend had three trans's in his stock 03 Z...

The first two grenaded pretty bigtime, the third he sold the car with. They guy that bought it is on his second trans now.

#23 ·
How about the Aisin Pontiac solstice trans? Its a newer version of the R154 and has an extended shifter on it already.... It holds good power and has much better syncros than the MKIII trans...

The 1jz bellhousing bolts on also...

#28 ·
Sorry to bump such an old topic. Were the people that were having trouble with their transmissions on these, early model transmissions? SP, what year is your 350z? I'm planning on going this route with my sc. I don't expect to make no more than 450hp so we'll see.

#29 ·
just put in the R154 with marlin crawler internals.

pretty much just as good as V160 and only cost 2 cents as compared.

AND can be used with 100% toyota parts and compatibility.

#31 ·
The people on allfordmustangs lol'd at me when I told them about my idea of putting a v160 into a new 5.0 when my garbage ass mt-82 was slowly grenading on a 100% stock 2012 gt. They said it would be impossible. I told them they were fools for overlooking the v160 because it came out of a import.

I went auto this time around because the stock 6r80 auto is rated at 800lbft from ford. Off topic I know but I'm bored.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.