Supra Forums banner

Changing Valve Springs and Retainers without removing head?

25K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  FastTurbo 
#1 ·
I was wondering if its possible to change valve springs and retainers without removing the head and having the valves fall down.

I've seen someone do it but Im not sure what are the steps on doing this.

#6 ·
Sweet!

Thanks guys. Putting those damn valve locks on upgrade springs is what I think would suck the most. I have the motor out but didnt want to pull the head to install the springs and retainers.

#7 ·
I'm getting ready to do this with the motor in the car... not really looking forward to it.
You can also use compressed air in the cylinders to keep the valves from dropping, in fact my machinist recommended this vs. rope since its guaranteed to put even pressure on the valves and not damage them in any way.
I should have done this when I had the motor stripped down to a bare longblock last year! Could have just pulled the head and checked out what things looked like inside. Oh well... you know what they say about hindsight...

#9 ·
I've read on here about someone who intentionally let go of a valve stem when he was working on his to grab a dropped keeper, and with his piston at TDC the valve didnt drop all the way in, the valve was sitting on the piston and the stem was still sticking through and he just pulled it up. Do I want to test this intentionally? Not really... but that gave me a little bit of confidence with this route. Any compressor with an automatic pressure regulator on it should be fine though.

#36 · (Edited)
That would be me :)

Use air, its easiest and works the best. I did my valve springs/retainers/keepers twice this way with no issues. I did let a valve slide down during my install the first time to retrieve a dropped keeper, the piston near tdc, it slid maybe 1/2" or less.

I made an extention using a 6" piece of pipe installed onto the fitting off my compression tester. Then used the hose from my compression tester off the top of the extension along with an adjustable regulator hooked up to a steady air supply. Just make sure your compressor is filled and your good to go, even if your electricity goes out.

Best advice, take your time on this. Do every single cylinder the same way.

The toyo tools will not make this job any easier than making the homemade tools.

-Matt

#10 ·
I had the worst experience doing springs and retainers on my Supra with the head still in. Maybe it was because I didn't have the right spring compressor, but the Crower springs I installed were stiff as shit and I ended up pulling the head in order to get them in. I did my valve seals using the rope trick and it worked great though.

Reactions: okinawa-supra
#11 ·
What valve spring compressor were you using? I don't have one yet but am planning to use the one that bolts to the head and uses leverage to compress them... from what I'm told thats the only reasonable way to install aftermarket stiffer springs.

#12 ·
That's the one I used, but you can't position the spring compressor on the head in the right position unless you pull the head. Or maybe I just suck and wasted three months of my time for nothing?

#13 ·
With the head off the car I can get the springs off in 10-15 seconds; its getting the new springs installed that takes the most time. I use a compression tester adapter to fill the cylinder with compressed air, it has a valve on it so I don't even have to leave it hooked to the compressor since it only takes a few mins.

#14 ·
you were right about it going to be a pain in the ass with upgraded springs / retainers as far as getting the keepers back on....def get a toyotool and make a T handle for that extra pressure needed to compress the springs for the keeper to fall in....ask me how i know!

#15 ·
very interesting, i've always known of using compressed air, but the rope trick is a first for me.

#17 ·
with what spring compressor though? that is the question...

if anyone has done this successfully and had a half decent experience with it, please list all of the essentials! specific tools used, tips, tricks, things to expect, etc.

#18 ·
Toyo tool with a crafts man jack handle slipped over it, and use a lot of elbow grease. It actually went pretty quick my dad helped, and we did the first cyclinder first day to see what its about and 2nd day did 3 more and last day did the remainging two. Number six is not as bad as you think remove the engine hook and get good leverage and let it rock, only trick I can say is to give it one quick hard shove, going slow don't help much and usually only locks one of the keepers so you have to pop it out and try it again.

#19 ·
it requires the head to be removed and placed on a bench, but i built a universal valve spring compressor

it works alot like a giant gear puller, i made it big so it could work on any head i happen to come accross...i havent tryed it on aftermarket springs yet, but i think it would do it with ease

#21 ·
No ropes

I just wanted to chime in a few thoughts here. I usually use the air method but that is not foolproof the keepers are usually stuck and take a little tap when the cpmpressor is pushing down to get them to release, this will usually push the valve in and release the air so just be a little careful.

I did have 1 horrible experience with the rope trick years and years ago on a taurus SHO. Because the valve moved when releaseing the keepers the rope slipped around the valve itself and was stuck. Several hours later we finally jiggled it out but we were all but sure the head was going to come off to get it out. Not fun at all. I will never use rope again. As mentioned just bring the cylinder/piston being worked on up to TDC as a safety margin. If the valve drops it isn't going very far this way and can just be pulled back up no biggie.

I say no ropes!

#22 ·
www.toyotool.com

Compressed air does the trick. I used to just leave the piston at TDC and let the friction from the valve seal hold it in place, but then you have to compress the spring that much further for the locks to pop into place. With compressed air and the toyotool it's pretty easy, even with upgraded single springs. Haven't done double springs in-car yet, don't know that I want to.

#23 ·
Watched the toyotool vid... they sure make it look easy.

First question is... can you use that method to install aftermarket stiffer valve springs? From what I've read it seems like its not quite that easy. If it isn't that simple, then what do you recommend?

Second question is... what all needs to be purchased from toyotool? Looks like the 6mm Valve Tool is what they use in the vid, and the Valve Seal Pliers. Whats the Complete Fixture Set all about, and are any other tools necessary?

Thanks...

#29 ·
Watched the toyotool vid... they sure make it look easy.

First question is... can you use that method to install aftermarket stiffer valve springs? From what I've read it seems like its not quite that easy. If it isn't that simple, then what do you recommend?

It can be done if you make a Tee using schedule 40 pipe. Using the GA317 or Toyotool.

Second question is... what all needs to be purchased from toyotool? Looks like the 6mm Valve Tool is what they use in the vid, and the Valve Seal Pliers. Whats the Complete Fixture Set all about, and are any other tools necessary?

If you're doing it off the car you might as well hand a machine shop 50 bucks and let them install the seals, springs, and retainers. If it's on the car you won't need the fixture.

Thanks...
Hope this helps.

#24 ·
I gave up on the ToyoTool after two hours of trying to get the first spring in. Of course, I'm a pretty skinny guy, so some of you muscly guys may have a better experience with it, but it's way easy slip it and have the keepers shoot out, and the upgraded springs are SOOOOO much stiffer than stock. I'd just pull the head, use the spring compressor that attaches to the head, and save yourself a lot of headache. Good idea to replace the head gasket after that huge build you just went through too Tavo.

#26 ·
It can be done with the head on no issues. We have put on Ferrea dual springs, retainers, and keepers with no issue. We use the tool that bolts down to the head and it has plenty of leverage to compress the spring and pull the keeper out with a magnet. We used the air compressor method, but yes to be safe turn the piston TDC depending on what cylinder you are working on just incase air gets around the valve when you compress the spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.