Supra Forums banner

OBX LSD for the ma70

25K views 186 replies 59 participants last post by  sixpack 
#1 · (Edited)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-...043776433QQcategoryZ33731QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't seen anything regarding it yet.

Can't say I'd trust one, but our market continues to expand. Someone have at it and let us know how long till it breaks or not.

Wonder what the gear ratio is....

READ!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to all donate $10 via paypal to Adam H. (drjones) for a OBX LSD. I'll keep updating this list and as long as we have enough people to make it worth-while, we'll all forward the $$$$. Adam's job will then be to beat the shit out of it and try to break it which we all know he is capable of. (along with a write-up regarding qualitt/fit/finish/etc)

OBX claims a lifetime warrenty against manuf defects, I'm not sure if that covers high hp mk3's but I guess we'll try to find out.

1) NJsupraA70
2) KevinM
3) Krister
4) spinningheadboy
5) ckanderson
6) tekdeus
7) ???

See less See more
#3 ·
KevinM said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-...043776433QQcategoryZ33731QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't seen anything regarding it yet.

Can't say I'd trust one, but our market continues to expand. Someone have at it and let us know how long till it breaks or not.

Wonder what the gear ratio is....
By gear ratio do you mean torque bias? Because I don't think it comes with a R&P set.

As far as OBX, I know some Honda guys have had fitment issues with theirs, never know for the A70, best to try it, but I would think it would probably be best on a lower powered car that's meant for auto-x, not a drag car.

#4 ·
That's a torsen diff EW!. Buy a real Diff, Cusco, TRD. For the amount of money that it take to put that thing in the car it will be best to buy something that will last. The Gears are installed from your factory diff, so you keep what ever ratio you have now.

#6 ·
Intresting I was in the market for a diff, but I highly doubt if a OBX would be up to the task.

Anyone want to donate for me to try it?

Say 20 people giving 15 bucks each that should be good enough... I wouldn't be scared to loose 150 on that if it did break... but 450 + labour and stuff, no way especially if they have not been tested.

#7 ·
ZaZZn said:
Intresting I was in the market for a diff, but I highly doubt if a OBX would be up to the task.

Anyone want to donate for me to try it?

Say 20 people giving 15 bucks each that should be good enough... I wouldn't be scared to loose 150 on that if it did break... but 450 + labour and stuff, no way especially if they have not been tested.
heh. good idea.

#9 · (Edited)
SlimFastSupra said:
man OBX is just going nuts with the copying of things!

I expect that you won't see problems because those who have the power ability to break one, would not buy one.

I can get one and post pictures that's about it.
any idea who they're copying? there aren't any other helical LSDs for the A70 other than the JZA70 T-1 torsen.....that i know of. nor does it look like any of detroit locker's offerings for the 8" truck diffs (which won't work BTW...). what the heck is it?

do they have any sort of guarantee?

#11 ·
drjonez said:
any idea who they're copying? there aren't any other helical LSDs for the A70 other than the JZA70 T-1 torsen.....that i know of. nor does it look like any of detroit locker's offerings for the 8" truck diffs (which won't work BTW...). what the heck is it?

do they have any sort of guarantee?

OBX has lifetime a gurantee from defects on their LSD in question.

#13 ·
chevydude said:
OBX has lifetime a gurantee from defects on their LSD in question.
Thats what I read (and know) .

A friend of mine was an OBX authorized "dealer" so to speak about a year ago. He had a whole catalog filled with their stuff. They make a Silicone hose kit for our MA70 *7mgte supra's instead of the Samco 1jz kit and retrofitting it. I found that out about a month too late.

but their products are very nice now. Not cheapo like 4 years ago.

I am "thinking" of buying it.

-Jonathan

#15 ·
yea and thats what im worried about... will it handle tons of torque? i guess im fine.. since the 1j has no torque but what about a 7m?

#17 · (Edited)
drjonez said:
great. but what about withstanding XXXXX rwt?

Unknown, but I suspect you could plead your case with the company by saying the product didn't hold up due to poor manufacturing, which I believe would fall into the mfgtr defect. FYI, this product isn't listed on the OBX website, pretty skimpy on anything though for their site, but then again I see a lot of dates on the site from 2k2. :faint: FWIW, I gave up my search online, all links redirect you to eBay.

#21 ·
Zach90Turbo said:
OBX is also making a front facing intake manifold for the 7m if the newest catalog is correct.
where did you hear that?

#25 ·
If I had the $, I'd personally drop one into my N/A, because as far as I know, it wouldn't crap out due to too much power, etc. I might get this in about a year or so if they're around, but until then, I'd love to see someone have at it and give us a review. Also as far as OBX is concerned, I've heard nothing but good things about them as of late, take into consideration the N/A header they made, it DID have to be customized just a bit, but you can't beat the gains for the price.

-Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.