Supra Forums banner

Build up of 5mge engine for turbo.

8K views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  Racefiend 
G
#1 ·
I am planning to put a turbo system (e.g. a CT 26) in my 5mge. what are the different things I need to get to build up the engine to support the turbo system? Do i need the stock pistons and rods replaced with stronger aftermarket ones? Do they sell ARp studs for the 5mge block??? What else?? All recomendations welcome since I do not know where to start.

I assume that I have the low compression pistons that are the best for the turbo.I am also thinking about an intercooler.

I was surprised to hear that I would not need to sleeve my block before I put the turbo (since the block is cast iron). So dont I need anything done to the block? What about an overhaul?

Please advise.

G
#2 ·
your 82 5mge will do just fine with stock ct26 boost (0,45 bar as far as i remember) and with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.
if you want even lower compression you could put in a thicker head gasket - cheaper than low comp pistons anyway.

guess youve read around the net about what you need etc.

basically you need a 7mgte exhaust manifold, intercooler, custom intake piping and do some custom work for your downpipe.

its not that bad actually. just put turbo on my 5mge recently.

good luck man :)

G
#3 ·
ToyotaSupra.dk said:
your 82 5mge will do just fine with stock ct26 boost (0,45 bar as far as i remember) and with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.
if you want even lower compression you could put in a thicker head gasket - cheaper than low comp pistons anyway.

guess youve read around the net about what you need etc.

basically you need a 7mgte exhaust manifold, intercooler, custom intake piping and do some custom work for your downpipe.

its not that bad actually. just put turbo on my 5mge recently.

good luck man :)
Hi dk, thanks for your reply,

I know some people from Denmark that I met in Holland 2 years ago. Know that cars are pretty expensive over there due to extremely high import duties. But I heard that thats about to change. So you must be anxious for that to happen.

My 5mge has euro/jap specs from waht they told me. Mine (an 82) doesn't have a cat and egr for example. Is yours similar?

Back to the issue:

Is lowering compression the only thing you could do to make the system reliable? .45 bar how much psi is that.

I want a very reliable system that I can boost up to 10 psi on a daily basis without worrying about the risk of getting a blown engine. Can that be achieved with a stock 5mge? If not, how can one rebuild the block to achieve this?

Please advise.

G
#4 ·
Hey Sunny ... sorry for the long delay...

I know some people from Denmark that I met in Holland 2 years ago. Know that cars are pretty expensive over there due to extremely high import duties. But I heard that thats about to change. So you must be anxious for that to happen.
Well ... actually ... the import duties are really high. But what is about to change is that EU has decided that the car factories no longer can sell the cars cheaper to denmark - which they used to did, because of the high import duties, so now they get even more expensive!! ... that sux!

My 5mge has euro/jap specs from waht they told me. Mine (an 82) doesn't have a cat and egr for example. Is yours similar?
I dont know about the german mk2's, if they had cat and egr, but i know for sure that the danish models didnt have cat - wasnt required at that time. egr i dont know what is actually...

Is lowering compression the only thing you could do to make the system reliable? .45 bar how much psi is that.
Im pretty sure you can run 0,45 bar on stock 5mge, but thats about all i would dare to push it when stock! However, i dont remember the compression differences between the 82-83 5mge and the 84-85, so maybe you'll be fine with even more boost. 0,45 bar is almost 7 psi.

I want a very reliable system that I can boost up to 10 psi on a daily basis without worrying about the risk of getting a blown engine. Can that be achieved with a stock 5mge? If not, how can one rebuild the block to achieve this?
Im gonna run 10 psi (0,7 bar) when im done. but still, i have lowered compression so doubt i will have any knocking, but i cant tell for sure yet. you will need more fuel also. 6x180cc injectors are WAY too small for that amount of boost. Im installing 2x440cc injectors into the intake and a homemade MF2 (map fueler) system. I was told that with 10psi the 5mge should produce 270 hp approx. dont know how realible it will be :)

G
#5 ·
Hey Klaus thanks for the reply,

I thought that this thread dead since my last reply and I did not notice your reply the few times i visited this board the last weeks. Thanks for the great advice.

I just won a bid on a CT-26 from a 91 MKIII that is currently underway to my address. I recently dug up a Turbo-mag from a year ago that had an article about R. Matusivich running 25 psi on a 5mge running 9's at the track. What amazed me was that they only qoute him having upgraded rods (custom from AEM) and Arias low compression pistons. How is that possible?

Wont this car need upgraded retainers and valves? Is that available for the 5mge??? What else (next to pistons, rods, upgraded fuel, injectors and upgraded ignition) would one need to build up a 5mge engine that can handle such high boost????

#6 ·
You'll get about 5.5psi out of the stock setup. If you want to go 10psi, then you'll need a metal head gasket. The 82 motor (yours) has 8.8:1 comp, which is fine for 10psi. Unfortunately the stock gasket is not. You should replace it with a metal head gasket (HKS 1.2mm) or go with 2mm ifyou want even higher boost. The stock internals and valvetrain will handle 10psi. The fuel system may not. You may want to upgrade the injectors to 4age injectors to flow a little more cc's.

Christian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.