Supra Forums banner

What are thoes things that hold up your hood and where can i get them

15K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  kbprice 
#1 ·
What are thoes things that hold up your hood and where can i get them

here is a picture of what i am talking about minus the person

See less See more
#7 ·
I usually use my arms to pull the latch then open the hood, i might try to feet sometime if I really want to spice it up. After the hood is up the hood damper keeps it open.

#17 · (Edited)
Do not recall, if I were to do it over I would go with the Prosport carbon fiber one and Kbprice bracket, I’ll sell you my full polish one if you want so I can get the carbon fiber one.
Here are a few more pictures of my setup

Got the brackets from kbprice and the struts from Prosport.
Very nice setup sir, this is what I would recommend in term of price and overall quality.

I was going to put a set on with my old CF hood that I have sold... and when I took down the weights of everything ... the OEM set up was fas less weight so I stayed stock lol... and I am being serious...
This is true for most performance cars with aluminum hood, my BMW and the supra hood both weight about the same or less that an aftermarket fiberglass/carbon fiber hood. I only reason I would choose a wet carbon hood is for the looks and vents or if it was stupid cheap.

#11 ·
Here is a picture of my "things":

Got the brackets from kbprice and the struts from Prosport.

#13 ·
How do you know what length struts to get? The reason I ask is I'd like to adapt some Tein hood struts from a different vehicle because they don't make bolt on ones for the supra.

#14 ·
If you would like, I can measure mine tomorrow.

Is your Car running?
No........ so while I wait on parts I just keep punishing it with carbon fiber. I will post about it in the projects section when I get it running.

#16 ·
I was going to put a set on with my old CF hood that I have sold... and when I took down the weights of everything ... the OEM set up was fas less weight so I stayed stock lol... and I am being serious...

#20 ·
I have a cf hood and the instructions say do not use on cf hoods is it really gonna be a problem
I would be a little hesitant to use them on a cf hood with the single mounting point brackets provided. But with the brackets that allow you to bolt it on in two places (therefore theoretically distributing the pressure more evenly) I think it will be ok. I have a cf hood and I'm not worried about it. Just take it easy the first couple of times you are compressing the struts, they do sort of need breaking in and you might have problems if you try to slam it down the first time.

And regarding weight... I'm not sure I'd say the stock one weighs "far less" than cf... it most likely varies depending on which style, brand and generation cf hood you pick. I guess if you picked the one that looks like a velociraptor mated with a supra... the one that has crazy scoops and fins, that might be heavy. But my stock style Seibon is pretty damn light. Haven't actually weighed it, but it is light enough in my opinion.

#21 · (Edited)
I got mine from redlinetuning.com, 70$ + shipping and INMO, better design than the one that bolt to the hinge. The lever effect of the redlinetuning one work the same as oem hood lifter (like my father XC70) instead of again the hinge like most after market kits do.

For me that design is better as it give more space to work inside the hood, lift faster (only need to lift the hood about 6-8 inch before it start lifting by itself), need smaller gaz lifter shocks, look better and doesn't work again the oem hinge wearing them as the pivot press again the plate.

My friend went for the standard one on his MR2 engine panel and the hinge was worn so bad for forcing again the gaz lifter after 8 years that he had to replace one of the 2 hinge, the one holding the gaz lifter (had a single lifter as the panel is small comapred to a steel hood)...

Here is the kit I bough: http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-TOY-SUPRA-9398.html

I replacing the hood steel rivets they include by aluminum rivets and the engine bay rivets by small zinc plated metal screws., they include color step by step detailed instructions, with easy to measure tips, really well designed product ! Their brackets can accept most replacement gaz shocks in case they stop selling the kit in 2-3 years. Took me 45 minutes to install, because I wanted to measure to get the hood to lift a couple of inch higher to the max....

#33 ·
Yes I did. And I am scratching my head as to how I ever missed this item you make. It is unbelievable the difference these brackets make. My hood opens at least 8" higher now. It also appears or feels like there are 2 points where it opens too. One a bit lower and one fully open. I am using a standard 19-1/2" strut and it works great. The 20" ones were too long.

I painted the brackets and bolts so the looked more OEM. Pictures do show justice becasue it looks rear good and wouldnt know that these were aftermarket.

Great product...and thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.