Supra Forums banner

EPIC BUILD!!! - Top Mount PT6262 Turbo Z3 M Coupe

28K views 151 replies 81 participants last post by  ZaZZn 
#1 ·
...well, it may not be epic by Supra standards, but it is by BMW standards. as the title suggests, my brother Brian has been performing surgery on his 1999 Z3 M Coupe for the past month or so with the help of our good friend and fabricator Shawn of Fifteen52 (1552v2.com). i originally wanted to start this thread back when Brian first started the project, but i just didn't have the time until now. at this point, the build part of the project is essentially done and is just awaiting a tune. however i will do my best to "cut and paste" the pictures and updates from another forum so that you can all see any and all previous progress and ask questions. i'm sure some of you are members on one or more of the boards we posted a build thread on (such as bimmerforums.com), and may already be familiar with this particular build. nevertheless, i thought this would be a good place to post it as well, since we're all boost junkies here too :D . currently i don't believe either Brian or Shawn are members here, but i will get them to create accounts so they can converse and field questions as well. by the way, this isn't an engine build, just a turbo build, and so this is being done on a stock S52B32 block and head. so without further ado, on to the build...

Parts List:
Precision PT6262, Billet Wheel, 4” Inlet, 3” V-band exhaust, .81 a/r
Tubular Top Mount Manifold
Tial 44 Wastegate
Aluminum Intake manifold w/ front mounted throttle body (Supra style)
MLS .140 head spacer
ARP head studs
Precision 750hp FMIC
3” Intercooler plumbing
Tial 50mm BOV
3” SS Turboback Exhaust
Mocal Oil Cooler with Ireland Engineering Filter cap
Dehrale Power Steering Cooler
AEM Truboost EBC
AEM Uego Wideband
AEM water/meth
MaximumPSI Fuel Rail with 6an feed and return
Aeromotive FPR
Aeromotive 6an inline filter

custom tune by Nick G. :cool: (for those unfamiliar with Nick, he is THE man to go to for your BMW turbo build tuning needs...he is revered as a god in the BMW world)

power goal: 500whp on 93 octane, 600+whp on 100 octane & meth

...and on to some pictures:

rough turbo placement (notice the sheet metal that was hammered to make the exhaust side of the turbo fit):

See less See more
#6 ·
there are definitely no if's about it - its just a matter of when at this point. as i said in my original post, the build portion of the project is already done. the ECU has been sent to Nick G., and we're just waiting for him to return it with the same software tweaks that Technique Tuning (Nick's company) uses with their stage 3 turbo e36 M3 kits. mind you, this is just a base map that'll make the car drivable so that Brian can drive it right back to Nick G. on the east coast of FL for a true custom tune.

MORE! :bigthumb:
ask and ye shall receive...

Shawn begins fabrication of the exhaust manifold:

...and meth tank fabrication:

#15 ·
it is definitely a diffcult challenge. space is a HUGE constraint on this project...so much in fact that you'll note later in the thread (when i get to those pictures) that the manifold cannot be installed or removed without taking off the head (i.e. the head must be removed, then the manifold bolted to the head, and then reinstalled on the block as one piece). people on other forums have also asked what we're doing about a charge pipe or intake filter...well, the answer is quite simply "nothing"...just a screen is going to cover the turbo inlet b/c there is no room between the turbo and the back of the front right headlight for a filter or velocity stack (horn).

people often don't realize that, even if the motors are identical, the spaces and clearances under the hood of an e36 M3 and a Z3 M Coupe are VERY different. so naturally we've gotten quite a few responses on some of the BMW forums telling us that there are easier ways to do this or that simply b/c they've done it on their M3s...but the truth is many of them don't know their folly b/c they've never actually tried the same thing on an M Coupe.

also, another giveaway is the mainfold design - if we weren't so tight for space on the exhaust side, the manifold would look and flow better than it probably does. but no worries - it will flow more than enough to easily reach the power goal, and then some.

#17 ·
I agree, the mani configuration may not be ideal, but it should more than get the job done! Cool build man. Would you guys be able to mod this filter to work? It's under 3 inches tall, and maybe you could mod the base to fit directly over the turbo. Maybe even machine down the inlet on the turbo so it's not as long. I know you guys probably aren't worried about it, but maybe it'll work.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RE-0380

If you guys ever find a spare headlight you can make it into your intake. :D I don't know if they use projectors or not, but maybe you can keep it as a functional headlight as well.

Alex

#19 ·
If you guys ever find a spare headlight you can make it into your intake. :D I don't know if they use projectors or not, but maybe you can keep it as a functional headlight as well.

Alex
LOL that would be badass - a Supra style headlight intake. unfortunately they don't come w/ projectors, but that just means a little more custom fabrication to make it work. if they do something like that though, it will be an after thought.

#18 ·
exhaust manifold completely tacked and ready for welding :)...by the way, one of the most amazing things about this build is the fact that, while Shawn has been working on cars for quite some time now, this project is the first in which he handled all of the fabrication himself...he basically taught himself to TIG weld on this project, and you'd never know he's that new to welding judging by the welds you'll see shortly:

#34 ·
Nick G. of Technique Tuning is going to do a custom tune on the stock ECU.

I'll keep the passenger side shock tower in my prayers.
not to worry - i haven't gotten to those pics yet, but you'll see our solution to protect the shock tower shortly.

Do you know what tires is he planning to run?

Is he planning to run a dump off the external wastegate or to plumb it back in to the downpipe?
i believe he plans on running Mickey E.T. Streets...the exact size i don't know. the wastegate will vent to atmosphere - take a look back at the pics of the exhaust manifold beginning fabrication and you'll see it with the wastegate attached and in the engine bay as a mock-up.

#28 ·
Yeah, hi.

subscribed.

#29 ·
Nice build ... subscribed.

#30 ·
THis is going to be VERY interesting. Subscribed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.