Supra Forums banner

One last Bondo shell off the road: Project Resurrection

6K views 72 replies 43 participants last post by  CalgarySupra 
#1 ·
It was Terrible!! I have purchess a 86.5 Toyota Supra from a driveway in southern Ontario back in september 08 . The previous owner says that he has spent over 30 grand into this car himself. Rebuild head, new metal head gasket, ported/polished, 2 1/2 inch full stainless exaust costum, race headers w/heat wrap, body kit, paint, Enkei Etoria wheels, oil spray and montly maintenance. All of this was proven with the original receipts that he gave me.

I bought the car for 3 grand... very steap for this car. But the real story about what the car is really all about lingers within the walls of some fucking stupid body shop.

Estimated 180 pounds of bondo was found all over this car. ONE body trim was found still on the drivers door rusting under bondo. Steel front bumper were choped on each end to fit the Mustang front bumper on. Trailer signal lights to replace OEM ones. All three Emblem bumper mounts were twisted way out of place. Found the original rear bumper under the aftermarket rear bumper under bondo, fiberglass and pop rivets. Both front lower fenders were missing. Rear lower plastic quarters were also under the side skirts. They were both grinded down (with a grinder), bondo'ed and held by pop rivets. Rear lisence plate body trim was also ginded down to a quarter of an inch thick then bondo'ed. The paint job was terrible. Over spray, orange peel all over the car, some fish eyes, overlaped paint edges.. ect ect... Anyways.

See less See more
#4 ·
Car has bin Primered with Acrylic Primer Putty, new stuff. Diffrence is, you can apply this stuff upto a Centemeter thick insted of a paper thine coat that you can sand thru easy. This stuff you can sand all day long without the worrie of sanding thru. Another benefit, sutch as Bondo, the thick layer can also protect the metal from the elements better then normal Primer like Mike has mentioned about Bondo.

The body guy also corrected the body lines of the front passenger side fenders. Found out that my drivers side key hole light still works! The previous paint job has painted the key hole light to a point were you cannot see the light even at night. He is planning on stripping the ring around the key hole itself to restore the light and the gasket around the door handle back to original.

As he is going thru the car hes is also correcting the previous paint job. Great paint/body/collision guy. He would have bin done all of this within 2 weeks if I never told him to take it slow for payments.

Passenger rear fender has a HUGE smodge from the body guy falling against the wet putty. But he didnt go thru the layer he has just applyed. Shows just you how thick you can go. He will run over it after the car sits for another few days for the Putty to shrink more before anything, to avoid any future cracks comming tru finished product.

#6 ·
202 black FTW!

Looking good man, glad to see it get restored to a proper state instead of ending up in some ricers garage with that body atrocity it was wearing :) Keep it up!

#17 ·
^ thanks, i would have to agree with you on that one as my favorite picture would be the 3rd photo in my sig. since then its bin a comfortable project.

i hated that look. i choped the front bumper free from the fenders with a grinder then sold the front bumper for $50. the guy who bought it, got me to hold it upto the car for a visual... i have no idea if he is installing it on a supra of his or whatever, i didnt want to ask!

#10 ·
u deserve a medal of honor....That car was hideous..thank god it went to a good home!!

#14 ·
^ 180 pounds of it is a big ass to drag lol

thanks for the compliments guys. today the cars rear trunk door jambs and engine bay has bin painted black. im going to the shop on wednesday to see the body painted and possibly buffed out. photos of the shell painted will be up soon. soon after the misc parts and assembly. :)

#16 ·
i gotta say when i saw the before and now what you are having done i agree.....
u deserve a medal of honor....That car was hideous..thank god it went to a good home!!
already i mean even before the primer i think the car looked SO much better soon as you got some stock parts, the 89+ tails, better wheels, etc...

SUBSCRIBED!!!

#20 ·
UPDATE!

engine bay job, just as much as the gun can reach.

some misc parts, also these first photos are from a lower quality camera that doesnt pick up much on reflextion mostly on the 202 black itself.

the pics that are shown under are from the higher quality camera. this is what you see in person, its insane. but i forgot to turn the anti blur off..

this thursday im meeting up with the guy to install the painted bumpers. updates soon.

#21 ·
:D NICE... LOVEN it. you should TOTALLY post the before and after pics up on degree's thread when you get the body back together.

#22 ·
hahaha will do. should be soon. i have found a working scanner at my parents house and i will post three pictures on degree's thread. one of the car at its original form before the previous owner brought it to the wrong body shop, one after the wrong body shop and one after assembly. :D

i would also delete my old post to correct an take down a few pics.

#25 · (Edited)
^Thank you for noticing. Even the guy who painted my car said that he has never seen a project like this. All the peices needed to complete this giant puzzle and the history about all the diffrent parts. He seen what it use to be in person, and knowing that it was a mint chassy under that bondo? It was lucky to find something in this condition in Canada with long salty dry winters. Original quarters, wheel well lips still perfect, original floors, ect. He said it was a good idea to paint the car with a factory paint code to bring back the appraisal value back to the top. This was comming from a guy who restores muscle cars.

Assembly update.

In these photos, the top of the nose on the front bumper was not in all the way. Because of the fact that this front end was part of a JDM front clip imported into Canada ten years ago with the way the fork lift drivers treated it, and the accident the previous owner had in his driveway, the proccess of putthing everything together has always bin a challange.

The body trim, im currently looking for part number 90339-06012 witch are the rubber cups that the body trim plastic clips sit inside of. This part keeps moisture out of the car I need 13 of theses and 2 plastic clips that belongs on the front lower fenders/mud flaps. If someone has these and would like to make a paypal/shipping deal PM me. Also looking for a full set of windshield trim clips.

Still looking for a windshield, got quoted $160+$80 to install???? really?

Updates when the car is fully assembled with better full framed photos with the car out of the garage walls. :)

#26 ·
YAY... updates :) its fun to see this thing come together. i'm sure it's taking a while to get everything together right. so just take your time and keep us updated. looking great.

#27 · (Edited)
more updates! almost done to crisp. waiting on toyota to call my numba regarding the list of crap i ordered. sutch as the final plastic clips i need for the front lower fenders, windshield plastic clips for trim, rear lower hatch hardwear, few rubber cups for the body trim clips to go into keeping the moisture out of the car thing thing...

photos.

other things i will be getting is lowering springs, front lip, windshield, maybe wheel spacers, going to raise the exaust. maybe a turbo swap a year or two from now. still not sure witch kind of motor swap i will be doing yet, still. more photos to come whe nthe car is fully assembled hopefully lowered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.