Supra Forums banner

Cloudy Coolant

19K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Luke94 
#1 ·
Guys,

not really stressing here, but i noticed my coolant was kind of 'cloudy'. Did a search, and only found people yelling BHG. So, i checked the oil filler cap, looked good, same for the dipstick. Took a sample from the oil drain plug; clean blacked oil, no contamination. Fired the car up, no smoke out of exhaust.

just wondering if it's just the cooling system on my old old car. (150.000 miles)

any thoughts?

#4 ·
i pulled the radiator some time last year, flushed that out and refilled from there, so a semi-flush yeah. Like i said, doesn't really appear to be anything wrong.

I figure i'll pull the sparkplugs this weekend and get a look into the engine, eventhough the oil already told me nothing is wrong.

I'll have to plan a flush some time soon and go from there.

Thanks so far, any other thoughts?

#5 · (Edited)
I had one of the few MKIV's that lost a HG, and at a mere 63k miles while breaking in a clutch (no boost), nonetheless. Built on a Friday or a Monday I suppose. I managed to catch it instantly after parking the car, so I had zero engine damage, and went on to go single/fuel/etc etc.

Rather than ask a bunch of questions, here's a pic for your reference. Oil on the left, coolant on the right. Samples taken first, then confirmed blow-by on 4 of 6 cylinders.

You have to imagine the oil w/o the flash. It was actually a little tough to tell if anything is wrong with the oil, so the coolant should be your tattletale.

HTH
Mike

#6 ·
Thanks for posting up Mike, Can't say my coolant is looking that bad yet, but i sure don't hope it's the HG, had it replaced and the head decked when i got the car 3 years ago. Like i suggested earlier, i'll pull the plugs to check inside the cylinders and i'll see if i can pickup a compression tester as well.

i'm still in disbelief as i would think of it to be impossible to blow a HG on a 2jz, especially at only 450 crank horsepower.

#7 ·
Well, false alarm. Don't know why the coolant appears to be cloudy when i shine my flashlight into the radiator (or why i think it is cloudy), but a sample pulled from it shows watery red coolant, no prob. Nothing like the milky brounish as seen in Dego's picture.

Pulled the plugs, looks clean, insides of the cylinders looked clean and the compression test yielded good results.

Cylinder 1: 155
Cylinder 2: 155
Cylinder 3: 155
Cylinder 4: 149
Cylinder 5: 158
Cylinder 6: 160

guess i'm just paranoid from time to time :S, did learn something from this so it's all good.

Thanks again everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.