GSC S1 cams problem

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GSC S1 cams problem

SupraForums Member

GSC S1 cams problem

Well i finally started my car today after doing a complete rebuild. Built bottom end, with built head. started right up and everything was going very smooth. As the car was about to get up to operating temp i saw some oil on the timing belt. Great!!! so i turned the car off and started to look for the problem. First thing that came to mind was front main seal. So i start to tear down the front of the engine. I get the balancer off and the front cover and its clean, no oil anywhere. So i proceed to take the cam gears off and there lies the problem. Im guessing where the cams are machined they installed a hex plug behind where the cam bolt threads in. Oil is pushing past the plug and out on the the cam gear then getting thrown on the belt.

My question is has anyone else ran into this problem and if so what did GSC say to do about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

New Billet cams or old cast? Btw change your timing belt
    1994 Toyota Supra Renaissance Red Built 3.0
    2008 Lexus IS-F Ultra Sonic Blue Full Bolt On
    fullsizeoutput_f09 by Tuan Nguyen, on Flickr
    fullsizeoutput_f07 by Tuan Nguyen, on Flickr

SupraForums Member
    Its the new billet cams. Have you seen issues with the timing belts stretching or breaking after getting oil on them?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    just sounds like cam seals.
    94 Black TT 6spd car. (GODZIRA)
    Motec M1 DBW/ Built high comp. 3.0L. Built head. big turbo. Nitrous. Suspension mods

Blog Entries
    Sounds like cam seal to me as well.

Steve

1993.5 Anthracite 6 SPD//PRO EFI//PTE6766//3-Row//E-85Fuel Sys//PHR I/M//GSC//IP 10/1 motor//Manley//RPS C/C//CCW C14//Brembo BBK//TRD LSD//930WHP/38PSI
    2009 BMW 535i Sport FBO
    2011 Land Cruiser

SupraForums Member
    I figured it out. The oil is actually leaking past the plugs that GSC put in the cams. They are right behind the threads for the cam gear bolts. I called them and they gave me the sealant they use to put on the threads of the plugs. So im going to have to remove them cams and clean them well, pull the little hex plugs out and clean and re coat them. There is no oil coming from the cam seals. It is deff coming from the plugs. i watch it drain out once i had the cam bolts removed lol. Anyway i guess it comes with the territory.

Blog Entries
    Crazy. Good luck!

Steve

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1A1 View Post
    Crazy. Good luck!

Steve
    deff crazy, But thanks for the input

SF Contributing Member mkivmatt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 94whitesuprah View Post
    I figured it out. The oil is actually leaking past the plugs that GSC put in the cams. They are right behind the threads for the cam gear bolts. I called them and they gave me the sealant they use to put on the threads of the plugs. So im going to have to remove them cams and clean them well, pull the little hex plugs out and clean and re coat them. There is no oil coming from the cam seals. It is deff coming from the plugs. i watch it drain out once i had the cam bolts removed lol. Anyway i guess it comes with the territory.
    This has been somewhat common on their new billet cams. We make sure to inspect and reseal each set we install for this reason.

The Turd -- Stock Block Six Speed -- 9.90 at 151 mph

* ProEFI * MoTec * AEM * Haltech * GSC Power Division * Brian Crower * AMS/Alpha Performance
    * CP/Carrillo * ARP * Pro-Gram * Injector Dynamics * Fuel Injector Clinic * HKS * GReddy * Precision Turbo
    * Garrett * Extreme Turbo Systems * Driveshaft Shop * Kelford * Clutch Masters * Manley and many more product lines in stock!

Contact us directly for the best pricing and service!
    [email protected]
    (813) 443-5064 ext. 104
    www.inductionperformance.com

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkivmatt View Post
    This has been somewhat common on their new billet cams. We make sure to inspect and reseal each set we install for this reason.
    Dang really, thats not good to hear. I am going to use the same thread sealer they use. Is that what you guys have been using or are you going a different route. ANything else i should be looking for or doing to make sure i dont have this problem again

What should I use to reseal? Also how does one remove these camshaft end plugs? What purpose do they serve?

QUOTE=mkivmatt;13417561]
    Quote Originally Posted by 94whitesuprah View Post
    This has been somewhat common on their new billet cams. We make sure to inspect and reseal each set we install for this reason.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by mkivmatt View Post
    Well fuck me running. I just got done installing a set. Is this something that can be done with them still in the head, or do they need to be removed?

From the description it sounds like it could be done without removing them....

93 Supra TT Sportroof | HKS Hipermax IV GT, TRD Sway Bars, CCW Classics + Toyo R888r | T56 Magnum Swap | Currently under the knife for: PHR Street Torque Single kit (6766BB), GSC S1s, ETS Front Mount, Motec M1, Full Radium fuel system w/ ID 1050s
    17 4runner TRD Offroad
    14 Audi SQ5
    IG: @cdsaints427

I am about to install a set. Is this an issue on every S1? Or is this been addressed and I should only check this out prior to install

I have GSC S2's for about 3 years now, everything was fine until i swapped in new cam gears. Intake side bolt was wet with oil after few drives, glad i have my clear cam gear cover, noticed this right away. Cam gear bolt threads have to be fully covered with thread sealer i suppose, not just the first 3rd like i did.

94 6MT, GTX4088R, AEM v2, GSC S2, Stage 3 Head, 10:1 3.4L,
    RPS CC Twin, ID2000, E85. 968WHP-883WTQ, ALPHA Tuned.
    Subscribe:https://www.youtube.com/user/FZSMonty Instagram: SupraLife_3.4

So is it the hex plug at the end of the GSC cams or the cam gear bolt that needs the thread sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by SMTSPCL View Post
    I have GSC S2's for about 3 years now, everything was fine until i swapped in new cam gears. Intake side bolt was wet with oil after few drives, glad i have my clear cam gear cover, noticed this right away. Cam gear bolt threads have to be fully covered with thread sealer i suppose, not just the first 3rd like i did.

Quote Originally Posted by rallly View Post
    So is it the hex plug at the end of the GSC cams or the cam gear bolt that needs the thread sealant?
    The distance of the thread in the cam shaft to the hex plug is just the length of the bolt to go in. Last night i took it out, cleaned everything, coated inside of the cam shaft and the entirety of the bolt with thread sealer and slowly torqued it to 60 ft/lbs. Should be fine, starting the car tonight.

Pics would be appreciated

Hmm i had my machine shop install my cams into my head. Hope I dont have this issue

95 hardtop, freed r154, pte6766,gsc s1 in the works ,bl manifold, bl exhaust, emu black ,wheel specs (18.8.5 +25) (18.10+25) 521s

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in