R154 Swap Noise

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R154 Swap Noise

SupraForums Member

R154 Swap Noise

I have a noise come from the the flywheel area when I'm idling out of gear. The noise goes away when I engage the clutch. It's a constant tone sound.

The flywheel was resurfaced with a .020" step, ARP hardware, new clutchmaster FX400 clutch with SP style disc. New master, slave, fork, throw out bearing, hub, pilot bearing. R154 was just rebuilt by DM with upgraded goodies. MT90 in it.

Any ideas what it could be? Pilot bearing? Master cylinder adjustment? I did adjust it to engage closer to the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I just put in a new clutchmasters fx400 clutch and I do not have any wired noise with it since the last week I have been driving it. I did use a small amount of grease on the input shaft before assembly.

Did you make sure your clutch disc was facing the right side as it is directional and there is a sticker that says "flywheel side"?

Did you assemble you throwout bearing assembly in the correct order with all the washers and snap rings?
    87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

2019 Updated Build Thread - https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...ore&highlight=

SupraForums Member
    Sticker that said "flywheel side" faced the flywheel and yes the hub was assembled correctly with all new washers, c clips, etc. The clutch shifts smooth and seems to operate normally.

I used grease on the input shaft, hub, and fork in the locations specified by the TRSM.

I'll post a video or audio clip later today.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member

R154 Swap Noise

Okay, so the overall swap seemed to go well. Clutch worked well and shifted smoothly. However I'm now getting some intermittent tapping/clunking noises from the bellhousing area. Doesn't matter if clutch is engaged or not.

ARP bolts were installed with red lock tight and DMs locking ring. See pic above. I'm going to to check to see if the pressure plate/flywheel are loose. Any other thoughts?

SupraForums Member

More pics

usually a bad input bearing will one, stick to the input shaft of the transmission or two, knock more when clutch is disengaged. I have also had a "Knock" from a flywheel being uneven from deposits and uneven crank face... weirdest thing i've ever seen.. the Crank to flywheel surface was uneven with metal deposits and transfer. Were the Flywheel and clutch ever balanced?
    -Parker-
    1985 MKII:-2jz/R154/AEM EMS2

SupraForums Member
    No they were never balanced together.

The symptoms weren't there for the first few runs. It now seems to get worse after everything has warmed up.

The pilot bearing did not want to go in straight and took a little bit of abuse to get it in. I used a socket to tap on the outside of the bearing, but wonder if I damaged it?

Pilot bearing doesn't look installed all the way.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    Pilot bearing doesn't look installed all the way.
    What makes you say that? How much should it be recessed?

did you use a New Toyota Throw out bearing? I only run OEM because the rest are GARBAGE...
    Getting out Boosted by Turbobozzer... for now...

SupraForums Member
    I used what came with the CM FX400. They were a Japanese bearing, but suspect it's the reason for the original post. Noisy. It has 100 miles on it tops.

SupraForums Member

R154 Swap Noise

Okay I opened up the inspection cover. I can't get any movement of the pressure plate and flywheel assembly so it doesn't appear loose. How much side to side play should the shift fork have? Mine seems pretty loose. Could the spring be worn out causing a rattle? Anything else I should check through the covers?

https://youtu.be/Ifk1RT4Mw6w

Last edited by Elibutton; 07-17-2017 at 04:03 PM.

475RWHP 449TQ and climing QWIKSTRIKE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elibutton View Post
    Okay I opened up the inspection cover. I can't get any movement of the pressure plate and flywheel assembly so it doesn't appear loose. How much side to side play should the shift fork have? Mine seems pretty loose. Could the spring be worn out causing a rattle? Anything else I should check through the covers?

https://youtu.be/Ifk1RT4Mw6w

Hub, was it replaced.... The hub that everything rides on may be worn.

SupraForums Member
    Hub is brand new.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elibutton View Post
    Sticker that said "flywheel side" faced the flywheel and yes the hub was assembled correctly with all new washers, c clips, etc. The clutch shifts smooth and seems to operate normally.

I used grease on the input shaft, hub, and fork in the locations specified by the TRSM.

I'll post a video or audio clip later today.

In the first Picture you have posted here you can clearly see the Pilot bearing, and it does not appear to be seated all the way. It looks like you are at lease .100" too far out. The front face of the bearing should be in line with the bottom of the chamfer.

Whether or not this is your problem, I don't know. But from my experience that looks to not be seated properly.

SupraForums Member

R154 Swap Noise

It does appear that way. Here's a closer shot. I set the bearing with a socket and it initially went in cock eyed and then straightened out. Once I felt it stop I gave it 3 or 4 more whacks and it didn't move. I didn't have a great feeling about the whole process. That's why I took the pics.

Last edited by Elibutton; 07-18-2017 at 06:09 AM.

SupraForums Member
    To me it still looks like it is too far out, I could be mistaken though. Maybe others will chime in on this, I don't know how that small amount could be causing your problem.

Mine have always looked like the below image

http://i27.tinypic.com/2u90cvo.jpg

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsballer View Post
    To me it still looks like it is too far out, I could be mistaken though. Maybe others will chime in on this, I don't know how that small amount could be causing your problem.

Mine have always looked like the below image

http://i27.tinypic.com/2u90cvo.jpg
    You could very well be right. I'm gonna pull it and find out. I ordered new OEM bearings last night. I'll post what I find.

I ordered a OEM pilot bearing through Driftmotion and it was the same part number that came with the FX400 clutch. The clutch release bearing also had the same OEM part number as well that came with the clutch.

I would think that the pilot bearing and release bearing would be the same for all fx400 clutch set's sold. I bought mine through THMotorsports.

SupraForums Member

R154 Swap Noise

Quote Originally Posted by plaaya69 View Post
    I ordered a OEM pilot bearing through Driftmotion and it was the same part number that came with the FX400 clutch. The clutch release bearing also had the same OEM part number as well that came with the clutch.

I would think that the pilot bearing and release bearing would be the same for all fx400 clutch set's sold. I bought mine through THMotorsports.
    I bought mine through Sound Performance, but it was drop shipped from CM, so I believed. The bearings I received are Nachi bearings. Are these OEM? Are these what you have?

Edit: just spoke with CM - they use OEM bearings. Well crap, there goes that theory. CM saw the video and says it's normal gear rattle.

Last edited by Elibutton; 07-18-2017 at 12:39 PM.

SupraForums Member
    Alright before I pull the trans I'm going to try and verify the sound is coming from the clutch assembly and not the transmission. It did seem to get louder when I pulled the inspection cover.

Is there anything else I can investigate before I pull it? I.e. Hub assembly, etc?

SupraForums Member

R154 Swap Noise

Okay, how much metal is normal after a complete DM rebuild?

Edit: Got a quick response from Aaron at DM who assured me that this is normal for a 1-2 fork break in. It appears to be aluminum. Some trans have different clearance than others.

Last edited by Elibutton; 07-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.

SupraForums Member

R154 Swap Noise

Okay trans will be out today to further inspect. But, I found that one of the bolts on the shift fork holder was loose and slightly backed out ( not as much as in the pic). I'm thinking the vibrations along with the bellhousing acting like the speaker may be the culprit. You can see the damn bolt moving in my video.

Last edited by Elibutton; 07-23-2017 at 11:03 AM.

SupraForums Member
    Okay, I verified that the hub was assembled correctly. But, take a look at this:

https://youtu.be/t61EZ7V0hFs

Bad bearing? Bad hub?

My new one was a bit on the loose end like yours in your video. Even once assembled to the clutch it did have some movement in that whole assembly and that was with a brand new OEM hub, snap ring and washers that go with it.

It looks like you bolt was your problem. As long as your 100% sure the clutch hub assembly is correct and make sure your pilot bearing is fully seated inside the crankshaft, there is not too much else going on in there that should cause that noise. I would also make sure your metal clip where that loose bolt was is not bent or anything like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in