+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Single Turbo for Stock Stall Auto GTE With Cast manifold

SupraForums Member

Single Turbo for Stock Stall Auto GTE With Cast manifold

Goals:
    <500hp
    Full chat @ ~3k with stock-like response/lag
    Street car which will see occasional street legal drag use.
    Running pump gas 91-94

Current plan:
    Cast T4 manifold
    Precision 5862? 60-1? 6262?
    AR? ~0.68? or lower?

Car:
    JDM 93TT auto

Lots of searching doesn't have many people running newer turbos that are currently available - lots of threads from a few years back. Has turbo efficiency and design significantly improved? I saw dyne charts of the 5862 vs the 6262 and the 5862 spooled faster and gave virtually identical power on the 2J.

Essentially I want a very strong, reliable <500hp street car with twin-like response, large power band, and lag that works well with the factory stall converter. I want to have the simplicity of a single that is a lot of fun to drive on the street and I'm not waiting around for the thing to spool. I'd really appreciate any input from guys running smaller turbos maybe road course cars? I've also poked around aristo pages.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Skip the 60-1, it doesn't have any advantages over most modern offerings.

A 5862 would work well, I'd stick with a .68 or similar for the hotside.

I'm working through a few other project ideas for next year that will likely involve a 2JZ-GTE on a stock stall stock auto, and I was considering a cast manifold and a Boostlab BL5855 DBB. I'd figure that should do mid-high 400's at pump gas friendly boost levels with fantastic response.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

SupraForums Member
    5862 or 6062. smaller would choke and blow hot air up top. You'd be limited to low boost once you're out of the efficiency island. Also the older 60-1 is outdated like he said. This is a compressor map with GT35 dark green overlayed by the 60-1 dark blue. You can see at each RPM that it's not as efficient
    https://www.google.com/search?q=http...zeQsID-GGaeHM:

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Any other turbo manufacturers I should consider? Was leaning towards precision.

SupraForums Member
    Precision 5558, 5858, and 5862 all seem to fall within the range I?m looking for. No more than 500whp. I?m really not looking to go over that at all. I?m thinking I?ll give them a call and see what they recommend for my goals.

SupraForums Member
    Those are all fine. Just don't waste money on a BB setup and also check Turbo by Garrett.com or a Borg Warner site. There are plenty of options but the cost varies

SupraForums Member
    EFR7163 which is 57mm billet ball bearing 600HP turbo with gamma-ti lightweight exhaust wheel which is 50% lighter than that of precision or garret GTX for maximum spool/transient response, do that with a cast manifold and quick spool valve and you will easily crush your goal.
    1994 6spd Targa
    Big Twins / Twin QSVs / 3.4L / VVTi / 10:1
    SRT8 Brembo 6pot front / 4pot rear with ISF 14" rotors Big Brake Kit Creator
    Instagram: @pkop2jz

Stock JDM 2JZGTE, + Holset HX35 twin scroll T3 .70, specs would make it 5660 by precision sizing. ($200 craigslist)
    17.5 psi came on boost with the open wastegate at 3100-3200rpm

Tune was crap but power and response was great fun.
    Last edited by Madhav; 08-22-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Nissan Cefiro + 2JZGTE.
    Holset HX35 single turbo + E85, RWD, manual, 3000lbs = fun

SupraForums Member
    Talked ot precision and they recommended a T4 5862 0.58 AR for my goals.

I'm also looking at a BW s256 unsure of what AR, there's a cheap 1.0AR for sale but I'm afraid I'd hate the spool. Couldn't find info on a similar setup on a 2jz.

The holists all seem to have huge turbine housings, maybe I'll look more into finding one with a smaller AR.

I personally would go with a .68 or .70 over a .58 on a 2JZ.

Any updates on this?
    1996 Toyota Supra Turbo

Banned
    any idea why the hp and tq on that graph do night intersect at the proper place?
    Last edited by RRsupra7; 01-31-2018 at 03:28 PM.

SupraForums Member
    I ended up getting a remanufactured Holset HE351CW for free. It has a 9cm turbine housing (~0.65AR), and the compressor flows ~67lbs/min. Should be fantastic for the street with lots of torque on my cast manifold, pretty ideal setup for what I want. Hopefully I will be posting up install photos and results this spring, we'll see how much free time I have to install everything.

Quote Originally Posted by GMonster View Post
    I ended up getting a remanufactured Holset HE351CW for free. It has a 9cm turbine housing (~0.65AR), and the compressor flows ~67lbs/min. Should be fantastic for the street with lots of torque on my cast manifold, pretty ideal setup for what I want. Hopefully I will be posting up install photos and results this spring, we'll see how much free time I have to install everything.
    Awesome! Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to the results.
    And please post a video driving the car. I like the idea of a small single with the stock stall.

Casper

SupraForums Member
    That's a great 60mm turbo you chose. The turbine AR is small but that'll help give you a ton of tq. How are you able to mate it up to your T4? Did you get the bolts to line up?

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOutterbridge View Post
    That's a great 60mm turbo you chose. The turbine AR is small but that'll help give you a ton of tq. How are you able to mate it up to your T4? Did you get the bolts to line up?
    T4/T3 adapter plate.

Banned
    Id reallylike to see results myself...... I have a small 61 on cast mani it is t4 and old tech one of first dbb available so not the best wheel designs etc compared to newer ones but my set up has always done very good and am just now seeing other cars with the 6466 do the numbers I am on pump gas and spool levels.

I know this is not a good measurement for spool as the way most people compare but for drivability it is important metric imo. On the interstate in 6th gear have full boost between 3000-3100 rpms which means i do not need to drop gears at all for passing while cruising. I had a sti I past think i was racing him just a day or two ago I bet he thinks he did really good. On some level I would like to get a newer similarly sized turbo but i feel my results are not bc the car is special but the turbo it is not one typically pocked it was a company that i think may have spawned compturbo not really sure. It is a innovative ITS61GT DBB with either .68 or .7 a/r can not remember thinking 7 actually bc i was considering a .58 and i doubt they would have 58 and 68 anyway also i remember being considered a p trim 68 lb/min turbo.... It makes 515whp at 17.4lbs 442wtq in lower gears like 3rd full boost is around 3800.Anyway anxious to see results as I love cast manifolds and small turbos have been wanting to see more newer turbo tech used in this fashion i was excited about the efr line but never saw to much about it particularly in small sizes but i just started using forums again after not being active with tuning car etc for a few years.

I wouldn't run anything with a stock stall, unless you have stock twins in sequential mode. At least get a 3200.

Al
    94TT Auto, 6466
    [email protected] 27 psi 4/16/16
    Previous setup: HKS Twin 2835's
    [email protected] 32 psi, 10/29/06

Previous car: 90 Talon AWD, 5 spd, FP Red (60-1)
    [email protected] built motor, 28 psi, Sept 2000

SupraForums Member
    Been piecing together the final bits for this swap, got a 1.5mm M12x1.5 oil feed restrictor from boost monkey (after reading numerous posts about 1jz setups, apparently holists were designed for ~45-60psi oil pressure at WOT vs ~80psi on a JZ at ~4K RPM).

Also have to shorten the studs for my countersunk T3/T4 adapter as the threads on the cast log style mani are not deep enough.

Lastly, ordered misc. piping from silicone intakes.com to mate it up to my FMIC. Will post photos once I have it all done... looking forward to pulling the factory twins.

Quote Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
    I wouldn't run anything with a stock stall, unless you have stock twins in sequential mode. At least get a 3200.

Al
    Exactly what Al said.
    Milo Whitson

94 Supra TT
    upgraded twins, HKS 264's, G Force/VPC/GCC, BL trans and PI3800 stall

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDawg View Post
    Exactly what Al said.
    Interesting, I haven't come across any threads of aristo guys or auto MKIVs complaining with single setups on their stock stall. Came across a thread where a guy was running a 1.0x GT35 on his auto and was fine with it, I'd think that would be much less responsive than my setup.

SupraForums Member
    Well, have my HE351 installed on a cast manifold with a CNC T3 to T4 adapter - barely clears the strut area and the hood but it fit without hammering. Waiting on the welder to fab up the stainless downpipe and dump pipe.

Post some pics please! Curious to see how your JDM TT auto turns out... I am itching to go single
    Aren't you a little worried about the trans at all? I've heard anything close to 500hp is pushing it
    WTB: Black on Black 6 Speed LHD - Closer to Canada the better.

Past: 93 GZ Aerotop, 89 Built 7M, 87 Hardtop 7M, 82 P-Type

Quote Originally Posted by KenHenderson View Post
    There can only be one that was first and that one is God's chariot, the almighty MKIV Supra.

SupraForums Member
    I will post some clips to my youtube account. It comes on hard and fast. will have to record to see when exactly peak boost is hit, but it feels much sooner than stock twins. Amazing drivability on the street, even with the stock stall. I definitely exceeded my spool goals.

SupraForums Member

Need to have in intercooler pipe fabbed up - using a few silicone 45s for the time being but will make it one piece and much better looking in the near future.

Really quick video of the first drive:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4bW...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by GMonster; 06-09-2018 at 01:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in