Single Turbo for Stock Stall Auto GTE With Cast manifold - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Single Turbo for Stock Stall Auto GTE With Cast manifold

SupraForums Member
    Following up on this - had a blast all summer long on this setup. I took the car on multiple road trips across the rockies, plenty of hard pulls. After fitting an AEM TRU-Boost the car's been even better. The boost comes on so hard and fast, way more fun than stock twins, lag is not an issue IMO on the factory auto, and I put the entire thing together with decent parts - cast mani, turbosmart wastegate, fabricated downpipe, etc. for just under $2K CAD. This turbo size works perfectly for me with the factory trans and stock stall - I notice very little additional lag driving this on the street. Low RPMs and partial throttle feel a bit lazier, but lean into it a bit more and it builds boost and wakes up ASAP.

Zero issues, and I've driven it on cruises, road trips, and beat on it as well - not a single issue. Boost is controlled fine as far as I can see on the TRU-Boost with the cast manifold and 38mm gate. Full boost is coming in around 3100-3200rpm and I can hear the wastegate crack with my open dump.

Looking into which engine management to go with over this winter (AEM V2 came up cheap locally), and how to best control the factory trans. I'll be upping the fuelling - pump and injectors and want to properly tune the car. I was thinking MAPECU 3 but locally people are advising against it. What has been recommended is running a standalone in parallel with the stock trans ECU. Standalone controls the engine, but the factory ECU is there to run the trans. I'll update with what I go with. Goals are remaining at sub 600HP (realistically a solid 500HP is great with me).

I also have a transformer shift kit to install over the winter to help preserve the trans, I already installed a trans cooler when I first got the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    You should consider the PRO EFI for controlling the stock auto, or if you are not running E85 blending use aem V2 with old frimware to control the auto. I'm shocked no one talked about the gt3076 turbo. Anyways great to hear you are happy and met your goals!
    Eric W
    87 TT E85
    91 T 60k miles
    98 SC 300

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhav View Post

Stock JDM 2JZGTE, + Holset HX35 twin scroll T3 .70, specs would make it 5660 by precision sizing. ($200 craigslist)
    17.5 psi came on boost with the open wastegate at 3100-3200rpm

Tune was crap but power and response was great fun.
    The HE351 can hit your goal of 600+ but E85 or meth will likely be needed. It's an upgraded HX35 with a super 40 compressor wheel (60/60). The turbine AR is almost the same but just not twin scroll. It should be a similar graph to Madhav's with more power up top of you ever get it dynoed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Got back from the first dyno tuning session, made 362 HP/376 lbft at the wheels at 13psi and very conservative timing, we weren't able to go higher as the injectors were maxed out so this is not a final number at all. Car is amazing to drive at this power level on the AEM V2 (controlling the Auto).

I'm putting in some 850cc injectors this week. Scheduling the time to adjust the tune accordingly and dyno it again to see how easily it'll make the power we want. keeping it sub 500 to preserve the trans at this point. Very fun setup for modest power goals.

SupraForums Member
    Results:
    2100ft elevation
    17psi
    91 octane

426HP / 415 ftlb at the wheels

200 ft lbs at 2600rpm
    280 @ 3000rpm
    [email protected] 3400rpm
    400 @ 4250RPM

One very drivable car.

Quote Originally Posted by GMonster View Post
    Results:
    2100ft elevation
    17psi
    91 octane

426HP / 415 ftlb at the wheels

200 ft lbs at 2600rpm
    280 @ 3000rpm
    [email protected] 3400rpm
    400 @ 4250RPM

One very drivable car.
    Fuckin A right it's driveable with that kind of powerband! Nicely done!
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

SupraForums Member
    Untitled.jpg
    Will post a video of the dyno run once uploaded. Boost and power could be brought up with more aggressive timing etc. but I wanted this setup extremely safe for pump fuel.

Yeah, she's fun! Tuner tidied up the low rpm/low load fuelling etc. today and it's a blast to drive. May make some minor tweaks after some more seat time - trans, may up boost to 18, change cuts, also getting an AEM IAT as the factory Toyota IAT heat soaks so badly.
    Last edited by GMonster; 05-16-2019 at 10:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in