Supra Forums banner

Lets hear it for "Captain" Alan!

3K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  ANKRacing 
#1 ·
I first met Alan in the local Supra scene, and gradually got to know him a little as the quiet but fairly serious MK3 guy clear on the other side of town - it's a 1-1.5 hour drive depending on traffic.
Fast forward to SIV 2014, and we bump into each other on the drive out, and hang out periodically through the weekend - and from that point on we became solid partners in crime. So while we don't see each other through the year very much, every Sept we start talking a lot and figure out a plan for SIV.

He's a man of few words, and absolutely zero BS. He's determined, talented, and reliable as they come. He methodically blazed the trail on the build in his '89 Turbo featuring a 600+whp GTX-powered 7MGTE, a CD009 conversion with a twin disc, and a Giken-equipped GS400 3.26 rear end, and countless other one-off details. Despite the complication of his build, it's made the trek to SIV three out of the last four years, which is a bit over 1100 miles round-trip.

The one year it didn't make it, SIV 2016, he rolled with me in my old hoopty of a SC300. I'd set it up as a tool-laden support vehicle and Alan didn't hesitate at all to pull over and help fellow Supra owners at every opportunity.
Coolant and new rad cap in a Kingman AZ parking lot, tow strapping a 1JZ MK3 at the race event, putting wrenches to a few other Supras for little details made easy by the right tools and a few helping hands. The question with him was never 'Should we stop?' it was 'What do they need? Let's fix this Supra!'

This year, he was determined to see my car at SIV as well. After several other fabricators I knew couldn't make the deadline, Alan didn't say much, he just said he might be able to help and that he would be coming over to check out what I needed.
But he'd loaded up his welder and all of his welding equipment into his daily and drove 1.5 hours to my house on one of his few days off to weld up the charge pipe and downpipe changes I needed. When my dryer turned out to have the wrong 220v plug for his welder, he figured out how to make an adapter cord out of shit at Lowe's. After the welding, he spent the rest of the day helping me get the nose of the car together, the engine bay cleaned up and dressed as best as possible. There'd never have been a prayer of my Supra making SIV 2017 if not for him.

He asked for nothing in return. Nothing!

I managed to provide a few Gatorades of his favorite flavor and I think I figured out how to pay for his meal when he wasn't looking. Needless to say, I owe him far more than that for his effort.

After 11 years of cycling between work-on-it/save for parts/work-on-it/save for more parts, I'd gotten my '95 SE with a complete USDM 2JZ-GTE V160 swap, RPS single turbo, 3 row, triple disc, Kaaz 3.26, the whole nine was finally on the road, paintwork and all. Just in time for SIV.

Then a week ago today, the worst happened. I still don't know for sure what went wrong, whether it was my crap driving or something else I'd screwed up wrenching, but the rear end felt suddenly loose, and I lost control of the car. It went sideways hard in 3rd gear despite only being part throttle, zero wheelspin, and barely into boost.
It's destroyed. It had been roadworthy for less than two days, and I'd been driving to an alignment appointment when it happened.

I was lucky to walk away, really, but the heartbreak couldn't be more real after how much effort I'd put into it.

After telling Alan, he broke his man-of-few-words tendencies for the first time since I've known him, and he set about the very difficult task of keeping my head right, helping me bounce back, and most importantly, not going deep into a bottle of liquor and hiding next to a destroyed Supra in a garage instead of going to SIV.

My girlfriend, Kayla, also stepped up and supported me to a level that can only be described as astonishing and breathtaking. She is amazing, and frankly she's out of my league. Yes, this is about Alan, but I can't discuss this part without giving her the huge credit she is due.

But Alan pulled through for me, again and again and again, not just with my Supra but with myself and doing things he didn't need to do for me, and all the while he asked for nothing in return. He somehow convinced me to get to SIV anyway, and start thinking about the next steps back into a Supra.

Alan, unsurprisingly, was right. SIV was the right place to help me bounce back. I can't thank you all enough for the love you guys showed me as a family.
It helped more than I could possibly put into words, and I've been accused a few times of being able to write some shit pretty well. I'm already looking forward to SIV 2018! Whether I'll be in a MK4 or MK3 or what has yet to be determined, but I'll be there!

I was truly flattered to get another Spirit Award this year, especially since I wasn't up to performing my usual duty of doing the dyno announcements, and especially since I further complicated an already complicated weekend for Andrew and Miguel by tapping out of that duty the morning of the dyno event!
While it is not lost on me that it took a lot to get to SIV, but I sure as hell didn't do it alone.

So before we both started the drive to back ABQ on Monday, I gave Alan my Spirit Award.

He deserves it so much more than I do.
We don't really do any of this car stuff alone, and there are no finer Supra brethren than Alan.
Yes, that is high praise indeed in a community packed to the gills with outstanding, incredible people I am proud to call a friend. Alan is among them, and those of you that have had a chance to hang out with him would likely agree.

Alan, you are the fucking man - Thank you so much for your friendship and support. Here's to SIV 2018, and the friends that have become family because of this kick-ass event!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Glad you made it out too!

With or without a Supra, its always good to have members come to this event. Definitely sad to see the state the car is in and even worse to understand you were just on your way to an alignment too. But its good to have friends pull you from the lowest of times and show you how great this community is. I too encountered some help when i was stuck at the hoover damn with a leaking rack and even worse when i shortly there after blew every seal on my rack and pinion draining the system completely and still had supra owners stop to help and make sure they followed me back to the hotel safely. I've been going to these Vegas events since 2002 and only missed 2 the entire time. This one solidified the strong comradery and family feel that gets me all warm and fuzzy inside looking at pictures throughout the event.

The car is one thing, but the people who have made this event and this forum as great as it is, is what really keeps me a supra owner. Here is to many years to come and to seeing you with or without a car next year! :bigok:

#23 ·
The car is one thing, but the people who have made this event and this forum as great as it is, is what really keeps me a supra owner.
That´s what I said after our German Supra meet this year. Without this strong community around the world, I maybe would´ve sold the Supra at some point to try something different. But it´s impossible. What Jeff described is the best example for that. As I told you, it broke my heart, when I heard the story about your car. It´s nice to read, that you have such a strong friendship even in the worst times for a carguy. I´m not sure, if I talked to Alan this year, maybe I am unable again to combine a face and a nickname/name. :D But well, if not, it´s on my list for 2019!

I am sure, you, Jeff, will be back in a MKIV one day. If you need help from across the pond, let me know.

#5 ·
Damn.... I'm glad you made it out and are staying positive. Hopefully Insurance helps out.

I have a friend like Alan, but he is a man of too many words ha. Car friends are the shit! Glad you made it to SIV, I hope to also make it someday.

Keep your head up man!

#6 ·
Wow, that's awesome Jeff (your description of Alan)....you're clearly very lucky to have a friend like Alan in your life. As we all likely know, in some capacity already, friends that solid are very few and very far between. And, I'm also very happy for you for making it to SIV, despite the sour mood you deserved to be in...happy that you showed and seemingly had just as great a time here in Vegas as I've witnessed you having in recent years past.
Now, go grab whatever insurance money you can manage and come back harder than ever, ASAP! With you and Alan's car knowledge and heart, I know that's completely possible! :)

#7 ·
Ever met someone for the first time and knew you loved them before even meeting them? That's how I feel about Alan. Last year, we were around each other, but didn't get to talk much at all. I only knew him as Captain, his SF SN. This year, we fixed that, and I'm a better man for it. Jeff said it all in his OP, so I'm just piling on a bit because Alan, really and truly, is the man.

Jeff, you and I have to long, detailed conversations to conduct, so text me when you have an hour or two and we'll figure things out. Love you, man.

Ken.

#9 ·
Jeff,
When you told me about your car, I was in disbelief until you showed me pictures. I could only imagine the emotions that went through at that time of the accident. I hope that you bounce back up from this, and like I said everything happens for a reason, there might be something better coming down the road that you are not aware of yet. Stay positive and good things will come. I also hope along with everyone else that you will get some relief with the insurance, remember everything is negotiable, you just need to state your case and show them all the parts and money invested in your car. until then I will see you next year.

#10 ·
Jeff, really good meeting you finally. I am sorry for your accident, sounds like a really punch to the gut, especially as you were just getting to the "enjoy it for a bit" phase. Thankfully you have your health, and can hopefully you will find another car worthy of jumping into.

I met Alan as well, he's a quiet guy with a giant beard, and he proved to be good company to keep. I spotted his clean MKIII my first night in the parking lot and intentionally parked next to him figuring I had nothing to worry about based on the car being that clean.

You New Mexico guys were great.

#12 ·
I met Alan as well, he's a quiet guy with a giant beard, and he proved to be good company to keep. I spotted his clean MKIII my first night in the parking lot and intentionally parked next to him figuring I had nothing to worry about based on the car being that clean.

You New Mexico guys were great.
Great call on that Brazilian place for some good grub Mike ! Even though Alan tapped out after the 2nd serving of bone in Sirloin Lol. I kept on shoveling down the gullet ..

#11 ·
Alan was my right hand man and rolled pretty much together all throughout the SIV event. Met him last year what Jeff said, is RIGHT ON and then some. Sir Alan, you have built a more than awesome rig and I was even getting folks to look under the car! Super mild mannered and you wouldn't even have guessed it was his ride even standing next to it. Thanks for the lift as well but truth be told, I secretly wanted a ride in that thing prior to event (brought back a very fond memory). Alan, the Krispy Kreme Ripper ! As we went a couple of times.

Jeff, once again, deeply sorry for your mishap. When I first saw you, I immediately saw some pain behind the eyes prior to arm embrace. With a friend like Alan around, meshed with our fraternity, I'm glad you were able to attend. It offered some therapy IMHO

#14 ·
Thank you all for the kind words. A lot of you expressed them to me in person at SIV, and believe me, each and every moment was appreciated.

But it wasn't my intent so much to call attention to the accident, as it was my intent to tell the whole story of Alan's kick-ass support and friendship through both the hard and the easy. He stood out in a big way, and his support leading up to SIV, post accident, and through the SIV weekend is a damn big chunk of what helped me keep it together when I needed it most, and he asked for absolutely nothing in return for any of it. He's that kind of dude. I'll spend the next 6 months trying to find ways to help him with his MK4 build or additional MK3 stuff to return the favor, and I genuinely look forward to it!

I've said it many times that when it comes to the friendship of good people, I'm probably the wealthiest man alive. Alan, Ricky, Ken, Sean M, Steve O, Chris W, Darian, Patrick, all of you guys went out of your way to show me some love and bring me along for the partying. I'd been talking to Justus about getting out to a proper club since Kayla had never been to Vegas, and he and Steve Ishii did all the leg work putting that whole night together for us, and she and I both had a great time - though we both probably drank a little too much a little too quickly, but that's an occupational hazard when one's partying in Vegas with Ishii and Justus! I owe them both quite a few rounds!
Clint, Brad + Megan, Dave T, The one and only Zazzn, great to see you guys too! Nick S, damnit, I wanted to catch you next to your car to rap a bit about it - maybe next year! Hopefully I kept all of my drool off of your beautiful engine bay, though.

Countless other good dudes pulled me aside to thank me for the help I'd been for their builds here on SF, or express some sympathy, or both. It's so far beyond humbling. Honestly, I felt like a celebrity and that's in a good way.

More than anything, though, I'm looking forward to being a participant with a Supra there, maybe doing the dyno and drag events, and spending more time simply enjoying the whole experience the way it should be - when it's all good vibes and none of the crazy ups and downs. I've seen a lot of big group pictures from the refill tour, and other groups of us that went up and down the strip, and I can't help but think that every single person in that picture is a noteworthy, kick-ass human being and that's exactly what keeps this event so amazing, despite the imperfections and despite the times when 'life happens'

So until 2018, party on my friends! Give Alan a nod, he deserves it, and hopefully you'll see us both finally in our own Supras come SIV 2018! :love: :beer:

#15 ·
SIV is my favorite car event not only for the Supras but for the people that attend as well. Never a bad vibe and always a good time, Alan's MK3 is one bad ass MK3, one of my favorites actually, but he has also made a name for himself with great character. Same to Jeff who I've known for a while now and he has come through huge for me when it comes to Supras as I'm sure a lot of people can say the same. Cheers to Alan and Jeff on the Spirit Award, Certainly well deserved.

#16 ·
Alan sounds like a great guy, I hope to one day meet him. I really feel for you on the Supra. Man, that's a tough break after all the time and effort. You'll come back, though, better than ever.

#17 ·
Since this thread is about Alan I’ll keep it on topic. Many have said he is a man of few words but when he does talk no BS comes out. I enjoyed the time I spent hanging out with the Captain at SIV, he really is an asset to the Supra community and one hell of a friend to have. It must not have been easy to convince someone who just hit rock bottom in the car world to put on a different face and head to Vegas but Alan was able to do it and I could tell both the Captain and Wreckless had a great time. I look forward to hanging out with Alan again at SIV2018.

We missed the Gate Keeper at the dyno this year!

SIV2017 Parking Lot-26

SIV2017 ShowNShine-6

Fun game…who can spot Alan?

SIV2017 ShowNShine-159

#19 ·
Jeff,

Both you and Alan are class acts; we are extremely fortunate to have the family like this in the community. Sharing the tremendous support he provided is telling of the character as I'm sure he would never take credit for any of it. Definitely the quiet professional.
I couldn't say it enough that how saddened I was to hear your story, but to have walked away from that without any broken bones or serious injury is very fortunate. I don't know how you mustered the strength to make it to SIV after that roller coaster of emotion, I don't think I would have been able to pull it together myself. So huge props to both Alan and your girl for being the great friends they are and getting you through that.
I'm glad we were able to get out and have some fun too! I definitely had a long day on Sunday getting back LOL...

#20 ·
Wow, great story. Alan sounds alot like my father... always helping me out :lol:

Terrible to see that happen to you after so much hard work. But the fact that you can talk about it and keep your head up is a good reminder to us all: Shit happens. Glad you're okay. Now it gives you an excuse to start it all over again

#21 ·
Just realized something Jeff... you and Alan are the Billy and Albert of New Mexico. :)

...it's kinda an Arizona joke haha. Meant in the best way possible, of course.

Glad to have folks like Alan and yourself in the family man. Having a spirit of service like Alan's is such a respectable character trait, one not found enough in this day and age.

To Alan! :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.