Lift Depot Rear Hatch Struts for the MKIV. - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Lift Depot Rear Hatch Struts for the MKIV.

Thanks for the tips...

I tried to take this route but my trim is very snug and I'd rather take the time to avoid breaking it. That said, is there any sticky or video on how to remove the rear trim pieces in order to replace the struts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SF Contributing Member bitshftr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nwcn98 View Post
    is there any sticky or video on how to remove the rear trim pieces in order to replace the struts?
    Not that I know of. The short answer is "disassemble the rear half of the car's interior". The longer answer, in broad strokes, from memory, is:
    1. Remove hatch privacy cover, carpet, and spare tire cover
    2. Remove rearmost hatch plastic trim (screws along the top, two push-fasteners at the bottom which are hard to see)
    3. Remove left and right rear shock tower trim (screws)
    4. Remove left and right hatch plastic trim (screws)
    5. Remove rear seat (yes, I'm serious)...both lower and upper halves
    6. Remove rear speaker cloth grills (left and right)
    7. Disconnect rear seat belts at the lower anchor point (one bolt each)
    8. Remove left and right rear speaker trim (the big piece) (screws and pressure clips)
    9. Remove left and right rear quarter window trim (screws and pressure clips)

Now you have easy access to the nuts that hold the leading end of the hatch lift supports. It may look like a lot, but if you own a Supra, you better get used to taking this thing apart and putting it back together.
    1995 Supra NA, Baltic Blue, targa, TRD LSD, Recaro Sport seats, Cusco carbon fiber front/rear strut tower bars, 97+ front turns
    Passport hardwired, w/ amped remote speakers in seat harness slots
    Hidden/hardwired garage door opener w/ custom Supra dash button

1995 Supra TT, BPU+, Baltic Blue, targa, TRD front/Cusco rear strut tower bars, 98 headlights w/ 6k HIDs, 97+ front turns, BNR turbos, Tial BOV, HKS Super Drager exhaust, SSR Professor SP1 wheels, Racelogic TC, VPC/GCC
    Passport hardwired
    Hidden/hardwired garage door opener w/ custom Supra dash button
    Subtle white LED dash backlights

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitshftr View Post
    Not that I know of. The short answer is "disassemble the rear half of the car's interior". The longer answer, in broad strokes, from memory, is:
    1. Remove hatch privacy cover, carpet, and spare tire cover
    2. Remove rearmost hatch plastic trim (screws along the top, two push-fasteners at the bottom which are hard to see)
    3. Remove left and right rear shock tower trim (screws)
    4. Remove left and right hatch plastic trim (screws)
    5. Remove rear seat (yes, I'm serious)...both lower and upper halves
    6. Remove rear speaker cloth grills (left and right)
    7. Disconnect rear seat belts at the lower anchor point (one bolt each)
    8. Remove left and right rear speaker trim (the big piece) (screws and pressure clips)
    9. Remove left and right rear quarter window trim (screws and pressure clips)

Now you have easy access to the nuts that hold the leading end of the hatch lift supports. It may look like a lot, but if you own a Supra, you better get used to taking this thing apart and putting it back together.

Thanks, Shawn. I need to go back in and find my lost hardware and replace some plastic clips while im at it This will be very helpful

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!

I just installed the winged supports today. I'm lazy, I pulled the two top screws from each panel, popped them loose and used an Allen key set (the kind where it's a plastic handle that they swing out from each end) to hold the panel while I used a combination wrench (the box end) to loosen the nuts enough to remove by hand. Only dropped one new nut, used an old one on each side so they would match... don't be like me... lol.

At any rate, it was a quick swap, like a half hour to 45 minutes total. They stutter a bit going down, but it's also like 40 degrees out so that might have something to do with it. They hold really well though, super happy so far.

Wheel Guru
    Looking forward to doing this!

Just completed my installation, but wanted to share this tip that should help reduce the number of dropped nuts in the chassis while installing these. That said, I used a strong magnet on the head of each bolt going in the chassis (see pics) and this helped keep the nuts from dropping. Essentially it held them in place while I was able to start threading them, which many of you indicated can be difficult. I did not do this when removing them but it probably would have helped too.

While I will admit I did not remove the trim (I did loosen around it) to install these, this little hint would have never came to me had I not read all that was written here first - thanks!

IMG_4832.jpgIMG_4833.jpg

SupraForums Member
    i finally got a chance to dedicate 3 hours to install these. i took the long route because i didn't want to take the chance of cracking any of the plastic. with my luck i probably would have. in any case, i removed all the screws from the plastic paneling and removed all the way to the back seat. no, i didn't remove the back seats. i did remove the speaker grill, remove the 2 screws from there. i removed the hanger hook and the screw next to it. after you do that you can pull the plastic piece where the speaker is away from the one that has the seat belt. that loosens it enough so that you can get a regular wrench and remove the 10mm nuts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in