Supra Forums banner

CHIEF ENGINEER TETSUYA TADA, on working with BMW on the A90 Supra

5K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  RRnold 
#1 ·
I know many of you are a bit upset that the A90 wasn't a direct lineage successor that many of you hoped.
But I have a personal relation with the Chief Engineer of this project who was assigned to lead this project by his superiors, namely Akio Toyoda the CEO.
And he has worked very hard to bring you with with nearly 7 years of his life.

So here's a little read, and you can understand this car better, if not like it, to know it a little better.

Humbly I present you Mr. Tada here.

http://club4ag.com/chief-engineer-t...gh-a-viewpoint-of-joint-development-with-bmw/

#2 ·
Thanks.
Still not enough detail to clarify what this car will do.

Cliff Notes:

blah..blah..

maybe a divine intervention.

blah..blah..

So that was a lot of differences there as the base of how we do things often seemed backwards to both of us

blah..blah..

“I need a Nurburgring-worthy car in our lineup”

blah..blah..

We have a different goal for the Supra and the Z4.

blah..blah..

I will elaborate that the target for this A90, was the Porsche Cayman.

blah..blah..

To keep things in check, there isn’t much formed out of anything too expensive like carbon fibers.

blah..blah..

Aerodynamics in this regard was carefully approached.
Not since the LFA have we spent so much time on the air around and under the car.

blah..blah..

we have designed the base platform and drivetrain to be at a level beyond anything we previously made at Toyota or BMW.

If the last statement proves to be true, Hurrah! Hard to see it so far.

#4 ·
Now that would be the perfect setting to let us get a closer look

#5 ·
The effort that has gone into developing the car is wasted if no one will buy it.
Toyota has a knack of not listening to their customers, sadly it seems the case with the MKV Supra.
The Supra name was pitted against the GTR in the past, this car is nowhere near that.
And collaborating with BMW just diluted the Japanese spirit, it just seems like BMW gave Toyota their sloppy seconds from the Z4.
The Mk4 Supra was bespoke in its design, this was part of creating the legend that it is.

It seems a car that was the CE's passion, that maybe all well and good, in the eyes of the customer, not deserving of the Supra name.

Of course, final judgement can only be made at launch, but it doesnt look good at the moment.

#19 ·
Aiko is related to Craig Leiberman, in that he took a beautiful thing and made it disgusting just like he did with the gt86 which is NOT a Toyota it is a s**abaru with a Toyota Badge. This will NOT be a Supra at all, mainly because the engine will not be Toyota and not developed in part with Yamaha like it should be. Mr. Tada should have quit the moment Aiko said : "we are letting BMW BUILD IT" but now the only way to restore his honor is commit seppuku which Aiko should as well because it is a capital crime and very dishonorable to the Toyota family what they have done.

#6 ·
I love the fact that there is a supra coming out.

Red Flag

No manual
BMW reliability for engine/sensors (same as subaru problems for BRZ)
Power out of factory extremely underwhemling
“I need a Nurburgring-worthy car in our lineup” stupidity, you have the BRZ, improve the breaks, engine, and you have a ring car.

#7 ·
I love the fact that there is a supra coming out.

Red Flag

No manual not confirmed
BMW reliability for engine/sensors (same as subaru problems for BRZ):rolleyes:
Power out of factory extremely underwhemling. The only claim worth taking serious is from Tada himself who stated output was on par with the Lexus F series. Hardly underwhelming.
“I need a Nurburgring-worthy car in our lineup” stupidity, you have the BRZ, improve the breaks, engine, and you have a ring car. Would you prefer a drag car? You are aware the focus on the MKIV was handling as well right?
Sounds like some of you guys would only be satisfied if the car was a dodge demon competitor lol

#9 ·
If you are actually his friend and he cares about the heritage of the Supra, tell him to do something about his company discontinuing everything for the previous generations of a car they are trying to bring to the market.

You showcase a meeting of all generations to debut your newest model but those owners had to find other ways to keep those models up and function because you, Toyota, decided to discontinue everything one parts at a time.

How about you all pull a Nissan on us, deliver a car that compete with others, two times the price and start reproduction for parts for your iconic models like the MKIV Supra. We cannot even buy parts to rebuild a transmission anymore.

It is a simple recipe, strong inline six, manual gearbox and a FT-1 resemblance. Stop trying to kill previous models by discontinuing parts and saying you love the heritage.

Please forward this message to him, as I am sure many Supra enthusiasts around the world feel this way.

#12 ·
In 1993, the Mustang Cobra came with 235 BHP, and would run mid 14s in the 1/4-mile. Today can buy a 460 hp Mustang GT today with a 10 speed automatic that will damn near run a high 11 from the factory for $40k. In 25 years Mustangs have doubled their engine output and knocked 2.5 seconds off the 1/4 mile. They still offer a T56 option.

Based on a reported 335 BHP of the A90 (320 BHP A80), in 25 years the Supra will increasing output by 4.7% (rounded up). Toyota will not be offering a manual transmission.

Cliff Notes: Mustang 100% more horsepower, Supra 4.7% more horsepower, fail....

#15 ·
Reported numbers or not, Tada-san has not said any numbers either.
He said their benchmark was/is the Cayman.
I also take his remarks not only as the chief engineer, but as the head cheerleader for this car and the BRZ/FR-S, i.e., with a grain of salt.
Even a 400 hp, 31xx lb car is not much improvement over 25 years.

I have not seen anyone post that they hope the car fails, or has poor performance, or anything like that. What I have seen is a group of people that have been awaiting something worthy - making a considerable leap - if it is to be called Supra.
As a matter of fact, the first response to this thread said:
we have designed the base platform and drivetrain to be at a level beyond anything we previously made at Toyota or BMW.

If the last statement proves to be true, Hurrah! Hard to see it so far.
I "hope" it has 450+ rwhp, 3100- lb, great suspension, etc., and can beat my car around a road course. Soundly.

#17 ·
I know many of you are a bit upset that the A90 wasn't a direct lineage successor that many of you hoped.
But I have a personal relation with the Chief Engineer of this project who was assigned to lead this project by his superiors, namely Akio Toyoda the CEO.
And he has worked very hard to bring you with with nearly 7 years of his life.

So here's a little read, and you can understand this car better, if not like it, to know it a little better.

Humbly I present you Mr. Tada here.

http://club4ag.com/chief-engineer-t...gh-a-viewpoint-of-joint-development-with-bmw/
Since Tada-san is your close friend, can you ask him how he feels about people being upset about the A90 outcome?

#18 · (Edited)
I see this being a more nimble version of my IS-F. I sold that car because it had no personality. Who releases a sprots car without an LSD?

Anyways, besides that, it's the manual option that turns me off. I don't care if it's faster or faster around a track it's a fun thing to me with a manual transmission.

#29 ·
Can you ask him why he decided to call it supra rather than, well, anything else? Seems to me like they would leave the supra name with the mkiv out of respect. This creation is not deserving of that name by any stretch of the imagination. How difficult is it to come up with another name? Smells like $greed$ to me. Such a shame.

#30 ·
Just throwing ice in the fire. A 425-450 hp mk5 I could live with that’s about 390-400 whp, not fast but quick. I simply will not buy a car without a manual which is meant to be a fun car. I know they are hiring this could come... shame I’m looking at the alpha gulia quadofologio and the model 3 performance. Make me change my mind and I’ll be Happy!. There’s a lot of choices out there right now, I beg that this car is good and more importantly is fitted with a manual gearbox.

#31 ·
Yep, and don't forget the 4A-GE/GZE, 2T-G, 18R-G, 1G-GE/GTE/GZE. 3M~7M-GE/GTE, 1JZ-GE/GTE, 2JZ-GE/GTE, 3S-GE/GTE were all In-House Toyota assigned engine development under Yamaha, as well as almost all racing engines up until recent Hybrids. THey are no longer labeled Yamaha however, since they became Toyota's own internal R&D operations.

#33 ·
Years ago, I spent a lot of time on your old Club4AG site, and I learned a great deal about engine tuning from all of the experienced folks there. :beer:
I'm glad to see you here on Supraforums, and I am grateful for your continued efforts on behalf of all Toyota performance enthusiasts.

I am skeptical, but I sincerely hope the MK5 Supra pleasantly surprises us all.

#35 ·
You weren't disappointed when you found out it was being made by BMW?!?

#36 ·
the second it went from FT-1 to Turbo FR-S I axed it.

Reactions: SupraApe
#37 ·
Toyota's marketing group has been working diligently to convince the public that this car is the real deal; nice attempt on trying to bullshit the consumer. It's definitely not like the old Toyota commercials where they were funny, carefree and let their products do the talking.

From what I keep reading on majority of the media outlets, the MKV doesn't seem to be fully accepted by Toyota purists and overall car enthusiasts, including myself. It's a sad situation...

Reactions: SupraApe
#40 ·
on the day of purchase

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.