Who Has The Quickest Spooling 500-600RWHP Single Supra On Pump Gas? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who Has The Quickest Spooling 500-600RWHP Single Supra On Pump Gas?

[QUOTE=Ben_R;13853867 Boost Wang - Any videos or further spec?[/QUOTE]

https://flic.kr/p/R6JwRG

Dyno video of the pump gas run.

Quote Originally Posted by CDSaints View Post
    What kind of racing are you planning on doing with a Supra that you're concerned with power output below 4k? I understand the desire not to have a peaky lag monster turbo on a street car, but something like a 6466 up to a 6870 should come on around 4-4.5k, and with valvetrain upgrades you can rev it out to 7.5-8k. That's a nice broad powerband, just select the appropriate gear.
    The benefit of having a wider powerband is being able to stay in a higher gear, which could be useful in saving you a shift time/boost drop, if you ever find yourself running out of gear because of a narrow powerband situation. Mostly beneficial in road racing.

Quote Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
    Now that's weird. All the images are hosted (you can see one of them here: http://benchraces.com/img/z4build/20160709_201114.jpg), and I have another forum using the [img] tags with no issues. I wonder if Supraforums restricts linking images from certain sites

Sorry... don' t know how to fix that one. The were working fine not too long ago!

Now speaking of power before 4k, my peak torque of 500wheel is right about 4k-ish, and it's too much. Corner exits with that power require good large sticky tire. I actually leave it one gear higher so I can hit it below peak torque to allow the power to ease on. Something to consider... a bit lag isn't too bad of a thing sometimes with a huge power increase.
    This is also my situation near WOT around 4k with street tires. But at least the power is available vs not being available if you wanted to? You also have good top end power. Have you ever thought about setting up traction control with your infinity, with something like an R-comp?
    -Sam

1993.5 White turbo hardtop. 1 of 26

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I understand the benefits of a wide powerband, which is why I made that point and why I posed the question to the OP. Barring autocross, I don't see any reason to get overly concerned with how much torque you can get out of a 2JZ below 4k rpm. It's a (relatively) small displacement, high revving, turbocharged engine. It has a certain character, and off-idle grunt ain't it. If that's what the OP is after, he'd be better suited with an AMG Merc or...god forbid...a Corvette.

93 Supra TT Sportroof - BPU | HKS Hipermax IV GT, TRD Sway Bars, CCW Classics + Toyo R888r | T56 Magnum Swap
    17 4runner TRD Offroad
    14 Audi SQ5
    IG: @cdsaints427

SupraForums Member
    What kind of racing are you planning on doing with a Supra that you're concerned with power output below 4k? I understand the desire not to have a peaky lag monster turbo on a street car, but something like a 6466 up to a 6870 should come on around 4-4.5k, and with valvetrain upgrades you can rev it out to 7.5-8k. That's a nice broad powerband, just select the appropriate gear.
    It’s for the street but I don’t have the luxury of decent long straight roads anywhere near me so top end isn’t that much of a necessity to me. My BPU TT gives me 414 TQ at 2900 rpm and 369 RWHP 5730 rpm. I understand going single will change this but I’m trying to figure how much I will need to compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
    Now that's weird. All the images are hosted (you can see one of them here: http://benchraces.com/img/z4build/20160709_201114.jpg), and I have another forum using the [img] tags with no issues. I wonder if Supraforums restricts linking images from certain sites

Sorry... don' t know how to fix that one. The were working fine not too long ago!

Now speaking of power before 4k, my peak torque of 500wheel is right about 4k-ish, and it's too much. Corner exits with that power require good large sticky tire. I actually leave it one gear higher so I can hit it below peak torque to allow the power to ease on. Something to consider... a bit lag isn't too bad of a thing sometimes with a huge power increase.
    What size are your tyres? I’m currently running a 265/40/18 on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by garetcurry View Post
    Relevant?

All I know is what I see.

Oh, and Trevor from MotionAutoTv

-gc
    Both of those sound great although I think the first is running more than pump fuel.

Yes, I understand the benefits of a wide powerband, which is why I made that point and why I posed the question to the OP. Barring autocross, I don't see any reason to get overly concerned with how much torque you can get out of a 2JZ below 4k rpm. It's a (relatively) small displacement, high revving, turbocharged engine. It has a certain character, and off-idle grunt ain't it. If that's what the OP is after, he'd be better suited with an AMG Merc or...god forbid...a Corvette.
    Nope, sticking with the Supra. Just weighing up pros and cons and trying to figure out how much I will need to compromise.
    Last edited by Ben_R; 12-02-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    All the feedback and information so far has been great. What would a modern slightly larger equivalent of the old 60-1 turbo be?
    Last edited by Ben_R; 11-30-2018 at 03:11 PM.

If you’re not in a hurry, I’ve got a PHR street torque kit on order with a 6266 JB. I’ll post up some boost vs RPM curves once I get it all installed.

SupraForums Member
    If you’re not in a hurry, I’ve got a PHR street torque kit on order with a 6266 JB. I’ll post up some boost vs RPM curves once I get it all installed.
    That would be good to see, what is your spec going to be?

Stock fuel and ECU, ETS intercooler, and catless downpipe. I’ll surely be limited on boost I can safely run, so I’ll just have to keep an eye on the AFR and see how she goes. Ill update when everything arrives.

SupraForums Member
    Just out of interest, why the JB and not the BB ? I know it's more $$$ but I thought it was way worth it ?

Purely cost, didn’t feel like paying the extra money for dbb as I am assuming this setup will spool plenty fast. Can’t wait to find out!

Personally, I found my setup that can be fully spooled before 4k, that has decent power available by 4k, is very controllable, because I would have full control of how that power is delivered by the throttle. I wouldn't have to worry about having everything delivered like a on/off switch crossing that 4,500 mark, or worry about how that delivery upsets traction, other than sheer power. I realize this will not be a concern with most, who caters their build to freeway runs, or drag racing. But IMO, it is easy to drive

Holding peak power past 7,500rpm in a 2jz-gte, would need either a larger turbine, or a series of supporting mods that support that top end with a smaller turbo. The 2jz-gte came with a long-runner intake manifold, with sequential twins, and produces tons of mid-range TQ when you start BPU. Mechanically, you can build them to rev high, but isn't a high revving engine out of the box either, so this is subjective. The oil pump may have to be modified somewhere past 8k, because there are those who has logged the oil pump's oil pressure peak, somewhere early 8k as well. Not to mention FMS issues either.

As far as low end TQ, sure you would never be able to setup a 2jz-gte to have peak TQ delivered as early as a big V8, but you CAN have great driveability, and off-boost torque, with the right combination, such as compression, VVT-i, stroker, ect.

Have you finished up the\is installation? I'm curious as to how this worked out for you. Right now I'm in between getting this kit or piecing together a BW and other parts from different sources, my options right now are this PHR kit or BW S366SX-E with a CX racing manifold intercooler etc, but from what I've been reading I'm better off with a log style header which the PHR kit comes with.

I've read all sorts and I keep wondering which way is the best way to go, I'm not after mad power 450 to 500 on stock ECU is fine, strictly for street driving, it will never be tracked. A system that's not too laggy is also important since I will be using it on the street, so I'm also considering a setup with a QSV.

With what I have listed above, I'd appreciate some advise from some of you guys running on stock and pump fuel, most especially dealing with lag and having a car quicker and still as fun as to drive as running the sequential turbos, fyi my sequential is busted, tried working on them, way too much plumbing, I gave up!

I haven't finished unfortunately. I have to sneak in wrench time when I can b/c of a new born in the house.

Also my build plans have changed a bit....instead of stock fuel/ecu I ended up going with a 6766 BB, a full fuel system, ID1050s, GSC S1 cams, and a full stand alone (motec M1) .

I'm currently building up the fuel system and afterwards I'll tackle the ECU, then I need to replace the steering rack before putting the engine back in b/c it's leaking and it'll be 10x harder to do with the motor in the car.

OK i'm going to stop typing because I am getting depressed thinking about how long it will be before I can drive my car again

SupraForums Member okinawa-supra's Avatar
    Stock fuel and ECU, ETS intercooler, and catless downpipe. I’ll surely be limited on boost I can safely run, so I’ll just have to keep an eye on the AFR and see how she goes. Ill update when everything arrives.
    You went from a quick remove and replace maintenance to a project...
    1994 6spd Targa Ren Red named "Paris" she has a history.
    1994 6spd Hardtop Baltic Blue.
    1993 Auto TT Ren Red (sold)
    1993 Auto TT white JDM (wrecking yard)
    1993 5spd NA yellow (sold)

You're telling me! I decided to pull the motor when I ordered the kit and that was all she wrote. No regrets though, I'll have it wrapped up in a few months and it'll be much better situated to make a safe 500ish whp, with plenty of room to grow up to the limits of the stock bottom end on e85.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in