Supra Forums banner

Supra is Back with Starting MSRP of $49,990 (Press Release)

16K views 65 replies 24 participants last post by  ThatMKVGuy 
#1 ·
https://pressroom.toyota.com/releas...+starting+msrp+of+49+thousand+990+dollars.htm

January 14, 2019
DETROIT (Jan. 14, 2019) – Sports car enthusiasts have been waiting more than 20 years for the return of Supra and will soon be able to purchase the 2020 Toyota GR Supra for a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $49,990.

For those fans and collectors anxious to be among the first owners of this iconic sports car, the initial 1,500 production Supras for the U.S. will be Launch Edition models starting at $55,250. Each will be uniquely numbered and have distinctive features signifying the exclusivity and excitement of Supra’s return. Toyota dealers will be handling all orders and the Launch Edition models go on sale in Summer 2019 starting at $55,250.

The Supra Launch Edition will be available in exterior colors of Absolute Zero White, Nocturnal Black or Renaissance Red 2.0, each featuring high-contrast red mirror caps and 19-inch forged matte black alloy wheels.

The Absolute Zero White and Nocturnal Black Supra Launch Editions will have a red interior. Each of the racing-inspired seats will be wrapped in red leather, with red leather steering wheel grips, and a red center console with carbon-fiber accents.

The Renaissance Red 2.0 Supra Launch Edition will feature a black leather-trimmed interior, with black seats, a black steering wheel, and black center console. The black interior will also feature carbon-fiber accents.

The first 1,500 Supras will feature an individually numbered carbon-fiber badge on the passenger-side dashboard complete with a graphic of Toyota Motor Corporation President and Master Driver Akio Toyoda’s signature.

Different Grades, Same Power
The 2020 Supra will be available in two grades: 3.0 and 3.0 Premium. Both will be powered by a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine that produces 335 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque and is mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission with racing-style paddle shifters. Both grades will also come standard with serious performance features including adaptive suspension, an active rear differential and launch control.
The 3.0 grade has a 6.5-inch display with Bluetooth and iPod capability, as well as Alcantara seats. Navigation and JBL Audio will be an available option for an additional $2,460.

The 3.0 Premium grade will feature an upgraded 8.8-inch wide-format touchscreen display with Navigation, Supra Connect telematics services, wireless Apple CarPlay, a premium 12-speaker JBL audio system, wireless phone charging and a color Head-Up Display. The 3.0 Premium grade will also feature heated, leather-trimmed seats.

The Supra Launch Edition will be based on the 3.0 Premium grade.

Standard safety features on both grades, as well as the Launch Edition, include forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, lane departure warning, road sign assist and automatic high beams.

The Driver Assist Package is an additional suite of safety features that will be optional on both grades for an additional $1,195. It includes full speed adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, parking sonar and rear collision warning.

Model # Grade MSRP* 20MY
2372 3.0 $49,990
2374 3.0 Premium $53,990
2375 Launch Edition $55,250 *Does not include the delivery, processing, and handling (DPH) fee of $930

Option Grade 3.0 3.0 Premium Launch Edition
Model # 2372 2374 2375
Driver Assist Package $1,195 $1,195 $1,195
Navigation and JBL Audio $2,460 - -
Get the Very First One
The first 2020 Supra off the production line will go to the highest bidder at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona, Saturday, January 19.

This one-of-a-kind Supra will be the very first new Supra available in the U.S. in more than 20 years. It will feature a Phantom Matte Gray exterior with the red mirror caps, red leather-trimmed interior, matte black wheels, and will carry VIN number 20201. The carbon-fiber badge on the passenger dash will be numbered 1 of 1,500 with a graphic of Akio Toyoda’s signature. The top bidder also will receive an engine cover with Akio Toyoda’s personal signature that can be framed or installed on the car.

All proceeds of the sale will be shared by the American Heart Association and the Bob Woodruff Foundation. The Supra prototype on display at Barrett-Jackson will be representative of the actual production vehicle that will be delivered in the first half of 2019.

#37 ·
Getting spanked by their 26 year old predecessors.

#4 · (Edited)

Through all of the BS hype about this new not Supra, I think people have lost sight of how incredibly amazing the FT-1 was.

This was 5 years ago folks. Toyota had 5 years to build and improve upon this specimen. Toyota could have taken the automotive world by storm with this car even without 5 extra years of improvement.

This car could have been a giant killer and lived up to its roots but instead, they stripped it of every last redeeming quality and made it a glorified FRS/BMW Z. The new not Supra is more of a FRS/Celica compact commuter type vehicle than a true supercar/sports car like the current GT-R and NSX.

If you take the FT-1 and offer it with a very stout factory 600hp inline 6 TT with room to grow, perhaps go full attack mode with AWD and DCT - along with the new technology and aero, and the sexy looks? That's a sexy looking world beater right there, and that's what Toyota is known for. Shaking up the game. They wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. That is a supercar.

I honestly

The FT-1 could have done the same thing the MKIV did - make the owners of even the most expensive supercars tighten up a little bit if they dared to line up for a race. It would have absolutely ignited the performance automobile market.

Toyota and Nissan are the staple of affordable supercars. The R35 is a pretty polarizing offering, people either love it or hate it. But despite how people feel about its lack of analog feel or its looks, it's still undeniably an affordable supercar and it's the real McKoy from Nissan. Toyota going from the FT-1 to this not Supra is the exact equivalent of Nissan saying that they are developing a new GT-R, spending several years officially (more than a decade unofficially) teasing the automotive world with their great new car, taking an additional 5 years beyond that for what any rational person would assume would be additional development and refinement, and then releasing what is in every single solitary aspect a 390Z, having Honda make 90% of the vehicle, then slapping a few emblems on it and saying "its a GT-R, we promise."

Toyota completely raped their own creation and philosophy in the pursuit of money that they don't need. They took every Supra-ish, racing inspired, performance oriented everything from it and went for the FRS approach. They had 5 years to improve upon the FT-1 and instead they took that time to work backwards and water it down and make it as much of a next level Camry as possible.

They shortened it, compacted it, narrowed it, took away all of the technological and aero aspects of the car, erased anything aggressive, made 90% of it BMW parts with no high power option, and didn't even leave the cool automated spoiler when they cleaned themselves up. Toyota absolutely fought tooth and nail towards mediocrity. The individuals in this video must be sick to their stomachs looking at this at this thing. All of that hard work, innovation, engineering, and automotive spirit flushed down the toilet because someone at Toyota thought it'd be a better idea to water it down, let BMW take the reigns, and slap a Supra badge on it to see if they can sucker any millenials into actually believing they are purchasing a sports car, based purely off of blind F&F brand name recognition.

This thing is a 350z, not a Toyota Supra.

#5 ·
Another thing people are missing out on as well is, the MKV Supra has to be a sports coupe for the 2020s that fills a lot of shoes. Thus, some thing you liked about the MKIV can't realisticallly live on here.
By far my favorite thing about the MKV is how much it pays homage to the 2000GT... where this all started, which in my books scores it even more points.

Design-wise alone, this is very clear:

#6 · (Edited)
Wrong. If they wanted to pay homage they would have released the FT-1 and not called it supra.

But no, they worked tireless nights to water everything down.

Its clear that what they paid homage to was their own pocket, the almighty dollar, idiot consumers and the FRS.

https://imgur.com/a/R0Sg30B
https://imgur.com/deKwp0C

Indisputable that its a FRS with a BMW drivetrain and some LED headlights.

#8 · (Edited)
Wrong again.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The FT-1 was a fully road capable car. They produced them. They are sitting in garages right now.

This new not supra is not even 5% FT-1.

They could have easily released that car, but they were dying for mediocrity.

Lures guys like me in? It didn't lure anything. I'm merely stating facts that the FT-1 was the new car for toyota, not this FT-81 with different headlights and tail lights.

It's not all we have, what we have is the REAL supra to lean on while Toyota sells it's soul for money they don't need so that they can try to sucker soccer dads and their tight under armour polos to buy one because it has a supra badge slapped on it and they've kinda heard of it.

You aren't fooling anyone hatchetman, next time pick a less conspicuous username.

#9 ·
^^^^Wasn't the FT-1 just a concept and the MKV the production version? The Cayman was bench marked hence the size of the MKV.

That was my understanding. What motor was in FT-1?

#10 ·
THIS, the FT1 didnt have an engine... It was electric to move it around only... Pump is talking out of his ass.

#18 ·
What difference does it make that FT-1 had no engine inside. They should of make the engine to fit the concept and go into production. They abandoned such a badass concept because what..? Couldnt find/make the engine?

Some "smart" person must of looked at the concept and said "naaah....squash that thing to the BRZ level....and ummmm...see if BMW can give us some of their engines around 300hp.Nothing too powerful tho....and maybe they can do the interior as well when they are already at it...Yeah...thats what Supra should be".

We need to call that person to one of the Supra meets (maybe in Las Vegas) and take a dump on him.

#19 ·
How often does a Toyota Concept make it to production exactly the way it is? Maybe the design went to US DOT and over overseas Transportation authorities and wouldn't pass due to design of front bumper or whatever reasons.

I love the size of the FT-1 but again that was a concept.

#20 ·
I understand that concept is never 100% the same as the production version, but this is a completely different class. So i dont think that it was just DOT regulation regarding bumpers/spoilers/doors, i think they abandoned the concept all along but tried to keep some similarity. So they ended up with abortion

#27 ·
1996 - $50,000 MSRP = Toyota Supra 6 speed Turbo Aerotop
2019 - $50,000 MSRP = BMW's used Z4 design
2014 - $100,000 MSRP = Nissan GTR Premium

This was a was just a sales pitch Toyota had given to BMW, considering sales in 2018 for the Z4 fell on its face.

The Nissan GTR example is exactly what we be looking at if Toyota actually hired engineers for the design, and production of a entirely new chassis, engine, and transmission capable of exceeding the levels of performance and potential as its predecessor after a decade of silence from the model.

You get what you pay for.

#28 ·
I get that everyone is upset but Toyota would never have built a GTR competitor when they have always been in same class as the Nissan Z. Toyota isn't about high HP cars even the RC-F, GS-F and LC sales aren't high volume dealers had to offer discounts on the RC-F to upper 60's to get them moving. We all liked the LF-A because it showed us what Toyota could build but even that was on low end power wise I'm sure it's a very well balanced and fun car to drive which seems to be what Toyota is about instead of big HP numbers. GT-R sales are declining too my guess is the basic design is still 10 years old not sure if they are coming out with new body and motor.

#32 · (Edited)
For perspective, CONCEPTS like the FT-1 are done at such a high caliber that they're comparable to the effort put into todays hypercars.

Going from a $2-3 million dollar concept to a profitable product that sell at volume will bring with it major sacrifices, many of which triggers people like Pump.

Arguing with Pump is like arguing with a women.

#33 · (Edited)
To clear any confusion, I just walked into one of the busiest Toyota dealerships here in SoCal I used to work at across the street and talked to the GM who has been there for over 10 years. They have NO idea when, what or how many they are getting. So if a dealer is saying they know, they are blowing smoke! These BMWs are set to be in Toyota dealerships by "Summer" and that's all he and every other dealer knows at this time.

#35 ·
Pump, pump your brakes.

Some things you have said can be agreed with. But the FT-1 was purely a concept car. Between my wife and I who have been invited to multiple private invite events here in SoCal by Toyota, TRD and Calty Design research studio over the past 3 years and seen it in person more times than I wish to count inside and out, the FT-1 concept was NEVER sold to anyone! It doesn't even have a legitimate engine. It came to local public events here by private Toyota enclosed trailers and was moved by pushing, though it had a small electric motor under the hood. Please stop polluting the thread with misinformation of the concept.

#40 ·
The FT-1 was nothing more then a fiber glass shell over a rolling RC chassis. One of my instagram followers actually worked on the project for FiveAxisDesign. For those that don't know they have made many concepts/show cars for Toyota in the past such as the FRS concept.

#41 ·
The FT-1 was nothing more then a fiber glass shell over a rolling RC chassis.
g[/IMG]
This is exactly how they should have done it, from a RC chassis and not a Z4.

Design-wise alone, this is very clear:

http][/QUOTE]

Because they are both red ?

Design-wise the GT2000 is a whole fender and a bumper longer than the MK5. Not one thing resembles any Supra by design.

#53 ·
Welcome Back Pump! getting caught up i see! Anyways glad you're back! MKIV owners are rare in general so it's good to have you back.

#54 · (Edited)
Honey I'm home

Yea, I know. It's pretty sad that one day in the very near future, MKIV owners will be the minority as all of the non car people will be flooding this place with stupid questions and accounts of how super cool their BRZ4 is because some guy in a Honda Odyssey at the gas station said "hey man, is that a supra?"

What's even more sad is that this forum is full of doormats who like to ban people like me for telling the truth because they are more concerned about salvaging prospective BRZ4 signups and sponsorships that will end up selling all of the aftermarket components to said rookies that were suckered into buying that piece of dick car.

The BRZ4 is to millenials and middle aged cucks what a brand new red corvette is to a 65 year old man.

They are just what non car people think they need to buy in order to pose as a car person.

#58 ·
Canadians will really feel it in their wallet because at $65k i'm sure it will turn off a lot of people. In fact some people might get the Z4 because being from BMW its perceived as better.

Toyota’s Canadian reveal of the 2020 GR Supra at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto mid-February came with an announcement regarding the car’s pricing here.

When it hits dealerships north of the border this summer, the new sports car will have a base price of $64,990.

Pricing for options – or what options would even be made available – was not revealed.

But we do know that for that money you get a 3.0-litre turbo inline-six delivering 335 horsepower and 365 lb.-ft. of torque. What you don’t get is a manual transmission option, though the rear-drive car does nip 100 km/h from zero in just over four seconds shifting automatically.

The Supra’s German sibling, the 2020 BMW Z4 – both cars share the same platform, and many components and engines – also saw its Canadian pricing revealed during the show: it starts at $62,450, here, though with a smaller 255-horsepower 2.0-litre turbo four-cylinder.

Upgrading to the Z4 M40i gets you the same 3.0-litre six as in the Supra, though rated at 382 horsepower and 369 lb.-ft. of torque; and setting you back at least $76,100, here. Like the Supra, an eight-speed auto is the only gearbox.

BMW’s been a little more forthcoming with options, announcing the car will come only in white, unless you’d like to shell out $895 for a San Francisco Red or Misano Blue finish.

A Harmon/Kardon audio system will cost you $1,000; an M Performance package $2,750; and the Premium Essential package $3,600—in short, it’ll be easy to make the price climb on the Bimmer.

The actual Essentials you won’t have to pay extra for on the 2020 Z4 include black leatherette seating, a built-in WiFi hot spot and, luckily for Canadians, a heated steering wheel. The BMW Z4 starts sales here in March, though the six-cylinder won’t be available until late spring.

#60 ·
What type of insecurities must one have to just make up things at random, and then aggressively defend them as fact?

Several celebrities and high profile enthusiasts own them. PLUS the designers and big wigs at Toyota.
I don't even think Pump is trying to troll. I think he's serious. It's actually a bit sad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.