BC 264 cams?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BC 264 cams?

SupraForums Member

BC 264 cams?

I had my engine built about 3-4 years ago and had purchased a parts car to rebuild that engine so that I could still drive the car in the meantime. I knew that the car had some upgrades done but never really new the extent of them. I recently contacted them about making some additional upgrades such as turbo and cams based on advice received from members here. When I had mentioned upgrading the cams to the shop and they all were pretty sure that I already had the stage 2 bc cams, but if I do it would be from the original owner of the engine.

I feel like I might already know the answer to this question but is there a way to tell other than removing the valve covers and looking?

Such as me posting audio of the car at idle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Open up the covers and take a good look.

Only way to be sure.

There should be some marking all the way in the back of the cam at the end of cylinder 6, at least that is how my BC 264 cams were. Here is how they looked new with the green and orange marking and you can barely see the marking on them which might help you:

87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

2019 Updated Build Thread - https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...ore&highlight=

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plaaya69 View Post
    There should be some marking all the way in the back of the cam at the end of cylinder 6, at least that is how my BC 264 cams were. Here is how they looked new with the green and orange marking and you can barely see the marking on them which might help you:

What exactly is the marking that I am looking for if the orange and green markings are gone?

On the very back of the cam it should be stamped with letters and numbers (INT for intake and EXH for exhaust). I can’t remember if it’s on the circumference or flat of the back, but that’s where to look.

SupraForums Member
    I am going to open up the valve covers this weekend to see exactly what I have. Seeing as there is less than 5,000 miles on the ones installed without leaks should I plan on just reusing or should I just plan on replacing?

Read the TSRM before installing the cam covers, or you WILL have leaks.....

Around 3:37 you will see some of the markings on the 7m BC Cams

About all that BC cams are worth......
    Sorry for those of you who have BC, but I still have a sour taste in my mouth after being part of the first release of Brat Crower's first 7M cams, and his bull shit attitude when I called him about the shit he sent me.

Also wondering what you left behind ?
    Aftermarket rods, or pistons ?
    Last edited by sixpack; 03-15-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
    About all that BC cams are worth......
    Sorry for those of you who have BC, but I still have a sour taste in my mouth after being part of the first release of Brat Crower's first 7M cams, and his bull shit attitude when I called him about the shit he sent me.

Also wondering what you left behind ?
    Aftermarket rods, or pistons ?
    I know the exhaust ring gear not lining up properly for the CPS on a bad batch of BC cams was a nightmare for some 7m owners in the past. The 264 cam set I bought new in 2017 have been good and pack a nice midrange punch I was looking for. I would have probably went with some one else but that was all I can find for a new set. Do you have any other recommendations on cams besides a regrind?

That video is just a channel I am subbed to but he got very lucky with that find.

No economical options.
    Once in a while a set of used Toda, or HKS, or Jun cams pop up in Japan, but they will go for a grand.
    There is a cam guy in Canada that will make billet new ones for two grand, about what I sold the TRD Group-A cams I had went for.
    (still regretting selling the 288 set)

If your willing to put up with the BC problems, that is a great find.
    Regrinds suck ass due to the need to run extra thick (and heavy) shims, and thee fact that they still only hold the valves around fully open for the same duration as stock cams. A 264 cam that was cut from a stock cam will not make the power that a true 264 cam.
    I got around the issue of thick shims by running custom valves with longer stems, but they are stock diameter.
    They are still sitting here, and if anyone wants them, I'll sell them cheap, as I only run big valves now, and sold my Schneider regrinds.

On the BC cam issues, it wasn't just the out of phase timing gear.
    Other issues were rough, uneven edges on the lobes, inconsistent journal diameters, which lead to some people ruining their head when the cams locked up, and the oil grove being way to wide on the intake cam, lessoning the actual bearing support area, leading to bearing surface wear on the head.

And yes, 264s are good to about 7000.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
    Read the TSRM before installing the cam covers, or you WILL have leaks.....
    Would you just recommend using cygnusx1?

I would also be interested in any trick/tips for members that have done it before.

It's not that complicated. Use a new gasket, put RTV in the corners at the front where the covers go over the cams, and throw the stock hardware in the garbage. Replace them with hex head bolts and lock washers.

About the cam regrinds, I spoke with Colt Cams, and he suggested using lash caps to make up the distance lost to the regrinding. I figured some 40 thou lash caps and new shimless buckets would fix the valve clearance issues, get rid of the risk of spitting shims, and take a bunch of weight out of the valvetrain. There is also Shadbolt Cams, i haven't spoken to them yet. Both companies are near Vancouver BC Canada. FYI, Colt Cams sells their top 7M regrind for CDN$475. Downside is as sixpack mentioned, but at the cost of about a third of a new BC cams, I'd say it's worth it.
    88 Turbo, Burgandy

Shiny makes you faster!

Toda has one set of cams left for the 7M. After that they are gone for good. $1500 for the set so they aren’t cheap but if someone wants the real deal there you go.
    91 Black 7mge auto

I also down vote bc cams, sent months trying to degree them in, but they just dont match the cards for duration. My bc264 came in at 211degree at 50" (should have been 220) and at over 300degree at 01"...

Idle has around 8 to 11 inch of vacuum. Doesn't matter much if I advance or retard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a set of TODA shim under buckets, sort one retainer (or was it the bucket - I would have to check), and since they are the same as the 4AG, TODA should have replacements.
    Sell them cheap.

The centerline's on BC cams just weren't consistent for a few folks.

I went with Kelford for that reason.

Yeah, I can see that being an issue.
    Didn't keep mine long enough to put on a degree wheel, and actually check lobe centers from one cylinder to another, but I always suspected this to be the case.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    The centerline's on BC cams just weren't consistent for a few folks.

I went with Kelford for that reason.
    Kelford 7m cams?

Dont think kelford do a 7m cam or ever have. I spoke to them about my issues with BC and what options there were. They said they wont to grind the factory cams due to not enough material to get a good profile but they would grind the BC cams to make them accurate as they had done this before. $550NZD to do that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am 1JZ. The issue with the degree from card to real life was with the JZ cams.

If you read through other forums, it's with ALL their cams, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, etc..

Good to know.

SupraForums Member
    Web cams can grind whatever you want very knowledgeable if your in the market for cams this the only way to go.
    Also running supertech buckets quality parts much lighter than stock
    https://www.supertechperformance.com...5-cam-follower

SupraForums Member
    sorry double post not sure how to delete
    Last edited by din904; 04-01-2019 at 06:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in