Time to give up on the dream?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time to give up on the dream?

keep livin man, L I V I N Casey James's Avatar

Time to give up on the dream?

As some of you know Iíve been chasing my dream build for quite some time. Iíve been in the Supra seen since 1998/99. Iíve been working on, gathering parts for, switching different chassis, etc since 2001 for the ultimate twins build. But we all know what happened in 2001 that changed our nation forever. With my very active career and extremely active family, my dream keeps slipping away...everyday it seems further and further down the road yet Iím so close. I attempted to start a build thread here

https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...hlight=Spectre

At this point, Iím tempted to sell everything off, buy something that I can enjoy now rather than an expensive project sitting in the garage. Having said that, the next day I feel I can and will finish it. I find myself so torn between the two states of mind that I find it stressful.

I would like to know anyone whoís been through similar experiences with a dream project and life...

Thanks guys and gals!
    Case
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

2 Timothy 4:7-8

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Stick with it. All the way.

For many of us, our car projects keep us sane whether running or not.
    My old and current favorites.

Old:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KrBytvXLE

Current:
    04 Porsche GT3
    87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    93.5 Premier Edition Original TT

Poopra by Jeff Willis, on Flickr

I say stick with it.
    I went through the whole dilemma of "do I continue to build my dream/monster" or just go buy a R35 and throw cash at a shop which will give it back finished within a month.
    Personally, I use my build to help escape the day to day drama and stress of life. I go to the garage for a while and work on it even if its just for an hour or so.
    Hang in there. I can guarantee it will be worth the time, effort, stress etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

You’ll regret selling it off. I’ve been in same position and sought it through and am very happy I did so. There were times when I didn’t even wanna go into the garage for months because I was so upset with where I was on the car but those feelings passed and car is finished and it’s amazing.
    1994 Toyota Supra 6MT - Renaissance Red/Black leather - 76k miles
    10:1 / Precision Gen 2 8685 / ProEFI / Sleeper Designs RMR / IGN-1A / Ignite Red / V160
    1438whp / 1159tq

Thanks for the support guys, you definitely don’t make it easy on me! It’s a very hard decision for sure. I’m been beating around the bush for over a year now about it.

My military career was mostly overseas... My life still is overseas a majority of my adult life. Years and years of just being away from my cars, has led them to the condition they are in, as well as relationships. My wife asked my why I didn't buy a MKIV, and it's not worth it if I'm not in the states to enjoy it. I feel your pain, but I recommend sticking with it if you have the support.

SupraForums Member okinawa-supra's Avatar
    If you get rid of what you started you will look like this:

I felt like this twice.... never again!

1994 6spd Targa Ren Red named "Paris" she has a history.
    1994 6spd Hardtop Baltic Blue.
    1993 Auto TT Ren Red (sold)
    1993 Auto TT white JDM (wrecking yard)
    1993 5spd NA yellow (sold)

If you're not in dire financial need dont sell it.

Im on number 4 and thought I was done after number 3 but nope.

Like everyone has said, the cars a form of stress relief and sanity for many. I was a party animal in my early 20's, im into my 30's now and that scene is long gone and now some of my best friends have been made through the car community... my optimal weekend night out is heading out for a cruise/food with my car buddies. I only work up to 16 days a month and my wife and I work opposite schedules sometimes so Im home while shes at work and my biggest form of entertainment is messing around in the garage.
    Id probably be insanely bored without my supra, and I know something like an r35 wont do it for me. Maybe as a daily one day but not as my full time "fun" car.
    Last edited by JSS; 02-24-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    94 6 speed LHD
    BW s369 / BC 264's / FIC 1650 / AEM Infinity / Flex Fuel / Stock long block

Blog Entries
    Keep it. Take your time and when you finish it, it will be that much rewarding. I rebuilt mine from the ground up from 2012-2015. It took nearly 4 years, but in the end, it was well worth it. There is nothing like driving a single turbo Supra-nothing. I've driven many other cars and it is an experience that very few others live up to. If you sell it, you'll probably regret it, and the cost to reenter the market is crazy now.

Steve

1993.5 Anthracite 6 SPD//PRO EFI//PTE6766//3-Row//E-85Fuel Sys//PHR I/M//GSC//IP 10/1 motor//Manley//RPS C/C//CCW C14//Brembo BBK//TRD LSD//930WHP/38PSI
    2009 BMW 535i Sport FBO
    2011 Land Cruiser

Personally I would not give up on it since this project means a lot to you. You have done some great work on it that other buyers may not appreciate as much as you will at the end of the day. If you have the space and finances for it then just work on it when ever you can even if it is 10 mins here and there, it's still progress.

What might help is if you come up with a list of things you want done to the Supra, tackle one item at a time so everything does not feel overwhelming and once you start finishing off things on that list it will motivate you to get the next thing done as the list becomes smaller.
    87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

2019 Updated Build Thread - https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...ore&highlight=

Thanks guys, thank you 220 for serving etc and thank you plaaya for breaking it down like that. It isn’t costing many anything right now. Eventually I’ll need an ecu and figure what ignition to run. But other than that it’s just time, because my career and family come first. Eventually I’ll get to my 1st retirement income, maybe find some time there lol. I also think about the stress of listing abd pricing all the parts as well. Sometimes I’m not sure what’s worse lol.

SupraForums Member
    I hear you , no matter what try to hang on to it , like every one above has said it will be worth it .
    I had my supra for 12 years before start my build and every year I was ready to sell her, family came first and all above but this is only
    thing that is my only my , that what kept me going .
    good luck

Based on your build thread: you are so far from where you started that now is definitely not the time to give up!

Make a list of everything that needs to get done so that you can start driving it. Set a realistic timeline/ goal and execute the plan. Sometimes we plan to do things but without a timeline we simply don’t make time for it. I can assure you that once you’re able to drive it and enjoy it; it will all be worth it.

Thanks guys! I’m going to try and ride it out and try and set goals. I have been waiting this long, what’s a little more time?

Also, I look around at other cars, plenty of nice vehicles out and around but I still don’t see anything that will give me the same satisfaction except say another Supra.

Blog Entries
    Stick with it Casey! I've got 1 kid and another on the way, I completely know what you're saying but trust me you should always have something set aside for yourself. It helps keep you balanced. Put the car away for a year if you need to but don't sell. I've had these moments and have actually gone through with it several times. These videos always help bring me back, hopefully it helps you.

Good luck brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey James View Post
    Thanks guys! I’m going to try and ride it out and try and set goals. I have been waiting this long, what’s a little more time?

Also, I look around at other cars, plenty of nice vehicles out and around but I still don’t see anything that will give me the same satisfaction except say another Supra.

Same here. One of the thing's that I've learned here its that people often regret selling their Supra. I can't speak from personal experience as I have never sold mine but I speculate that nothing else would do the trick. If I ever get "bored" with it; I can always experiment with a different set-up. Get motivated and set your goal!

Some additional motivation below (I'm not sure I've ever seen a Supra move out like this one haha)

-Logan B.

MKiV 6 speed S369 | ID1700ís | AEM V2 | HKS Ti
    IG: @Supraman42

Wow, flashbacks! Some of those videos take me way back lol. One of my favorites back in the day was the “turbo dreams” video I think it was called.

Those are definite motivation. Especially seeing that black power glide Supra doing its thing. Mine will be sporting a glide also.

The highs and lows can be intense. The excitement of new parts wears off as they gather dust, only to make you excited again when everything else in life sucks.
    Having that dream may be tantalizingly close and still it evades you - you might get it running only to nuke the engine the same day or some other wild Shakespearean shit like that. It can happen to anyone.

But as illogical as it is, as many other cars are out there and as much as Supras cost in today's market.... I try like hell and just nothing stirs my soul like a built Supra. Nothing.

Stick with it. It'll be worth it all in the end.

My personal favorite, Turbo Dreams 2:

Last edited by Wreckless; 02-26-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

Thanks Jeff! And that’s exactly how I feel dust and all haha!

Ahh yes. Turbo dreams. That’s where it’s at!

Which old school video used the remix of Listen to Your Heart? That one was a good one also.

I can feel your pain but only can relate to an extent. Personally, I've been tinkering with 2j's and Supras since 2011 (dreaming of them since I was a kid, 1999-2000 time frame), originally bought a 2j to throw into my 350z since I couldn't afford a Supra at the time (or was just a stupid airman that didn't know how to manage his money lol), long story short I ended up trading that Z to a friend that had 2 Supras, and I scored his 93 NA Auto. I immediately did a round of mods to that, while gathering parts for the spare GTE I had on the side to eventually swap everything in and live the supra dream. Fast forward to 2014, I move to ABQ for my current job, I get married while taking in 2 kids in the process, my single bedroom apartment just won't cut it so I sold that 93 NA Auto in order to free up funds to move into a house. Being Supra-less lasted all of 6 months (if that), before I couldn't take it anymore not having something to work on, especially a Supra, and I still had a big list of parts just sitting there, built motor/turbo and all. So I finally had enough and sourced a clean 94 TT with relatively low mileage, and 2016 Valentines day weekend my wife and I flew to Florida to pick up my current Supra (don't worry I squared the wife away with a new ring and all that lol, she said it was the best road trip she's ever had). I spent 6 months driving it in full BPU trim which was fun, but I was eager to finally do this build I've had in my head for so many years, and I parked the car for the build in Aug 2016. Here I am in early 2019 still working on that build but the light is very close at the end of the tunnel, it should be "done" in the next few months, but I'm fine if it takes longer.

I say keep with it man, life happens and I can REALLY relate to your feeling of everything else getting in the way of building the car. I've learned to stop giving myself timelines to get it done, stop committing to events coming up, and just build the car the way I want it and as thoroughly as I want to, while learning to enjoy the process and it's been an awesome thing. Nothing better than getting off of work to come home, crank some music, crack open a beer and start tinkering no matter how big or small the project. I mean hell, I've been meaning to update my build thread since over half a year ago or so, I'm prioritizing spending that time working on the car instead, but I've been hoarding pics of the process to eventually update that lol.

Keep at it buddy

-Rich
    Last edited by Kidney; 02-27-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Originally 94 TT Auto Targa, 72k miles. Undergoing surgery...V160/PTE gen 2 7675/GSC S2/Manley 10:1 built 3.0/Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beam/ProEfi/E85

Maybe I can get my car back on the road close to when you do Rich! See you on the road. Just bought a new house, and everything has made me put the Supra on the back burner every year. I hope this year I can finally get caught up and start getting all the parts in though.

Case, you gotta stick with it. Getting back into the Supra market is an incredibly expensive, and risky (IMO) situation. So many modded cars are out there now, that you have ZERO idea what the car is really like until you tear it apart yourself. You've already done that so might as well keep doing so, lol. There are other cars I WANT, but there isn't any other car that I want to just get in and drive with no destination. I don't care if there are faster cars, newer, more technologically advanced, but most are a dime a dozen, and everything always just felt right in the Supra.

Alex

garagesig by Alex Accilien, on Flickr
    1997 RSP TT BPU+ *Supra rebuild*

So very true. I wouldn’t get the caliber of Supra I have now if I sold with the market. The modifications it has I wouldn’t be able to replicate or come close. My only issue is I need to modify the cage to get a Supra dash back in the car. Which is a must for me, I need that Supra cockpit feel!

Hang in there! My car has been in the body shop for 3 years So I feel your waiting pain.
    Good things come in time. Just have patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Build in progress

Keep it! I have had my Supra for almost 16 years now. Got it back when I was a kid and Iím super glad I never sold it. Got married two years ago and now weíre lookkng for a house. I havenít been the most responsible when it comes to saving but Iíve been doing my best. All I can say is that I enjoy it and will enjoy it even more once I really get started on the build. It was a NA 5speed for about 15 years, not its NA-T, but I have the GTE motor to do the swap. Eventually I will, and I will enjoy every second of it once it is. So like everyone said, keep it, take your time with it, and you wonít regret it. Youíll kick yourself in the ass many times if you get rid of it now. Keep us updated my friend! 👍🏼

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in