Time to give up on the dream? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Time to give up on the dream?

SupraForums Member
    Casey James > I was talking to a very good friend of mine the other day and, in conversations about life and family etc, he proposed a scenario where he would understand me selling the Supra. I jumped out of my skeleton and had to quickly correct him on the subject matter. There are only two scenarios where the Supra would be sold: A) That I'm dead AF -- or -- B) That someone I know is dying and it's the only way to save a life. I then told him that I loved him to death, but bruhhhh...don't go to jail, because I'm not gonna sell that shit for bail money on account of your dumb-ass going to the big-house. In other words, DONT FUCK UP!

Those are my moral sensibilities (not to be applied onto others in that radical format), but it comes from a place of passion and pride. That passion and pride, however, is one we all here share. It's a sliding scale for everyone, but like JSS said...if you're not in "dire financial need"...and/or...if nobody is dying, then stick with it.

Like many others, my Supra has been on the shelf for 3-years now. Like Patrick94TT said, there have been months on end when I'm down-and-out and I can't even look at the car. Moments, when I'm not buying parts and nothing is moving. Moments when my builder has taken months-on-end to get anything done. Still water and depression.

But that's life man, career, cars...relationships, hell -- kids. Don't give up on the things and people you love. Don't give up on your passions no matter how dark it seems sometimes. That break-thru moment is right around the corner. If you fold, you'll never experience or even know how close you got. That's your personal stamp of authenticity. When you give that up, you're done in general -- pack it up and move into Century Village.

If that's not you, then fight thru that shit and get it done! That's the life example you set, that -- NO MATTER WHAT -- you get it done. Let that be your story...

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Casey James View Post
    As some of you know I’ve been chasing my dream build for quite some time. I’ve been in the Supra seen since 1998/99. I’ve been working on, gathering parts for, switching different chassis, etc since 2001 for the ultimate twins build. But we all know what happened in 2001 that changed our nation forever. With my very active career and extremely active family, my dream keeps slipping away...everyday it seems further and further down the road yet I’m so close. I attempted to start a build thread here

https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...hlight=Spectre

At this point, I’m tempted to sell everything off, buy something that I can enjoy now rather than an expensive project sitting in the garage. Having said that, the next day I feel I can and will finish it. I find myself so torn between the two states of mind that I find it stressful.

I would like to know anyone who’s been through similar experiences with a dream project and life...

Thanks guys and gals!
    Case
    I went through the same thing. My car took me 2 years and 4 months before I was finally able to fire it up. The sound of your own supra and seeing right in front of you is just priceless. As soon as you pull it out for a quick spin, you will see people just stare at it and might get a thumbs up or two. That made all the wait and anticipation worth it! Yes expensive and very time consuming but worth every penny and drop of sweat! Keep at it and you'll see at the end what we mean.

-priceless!

SupraForums Member
    I'm not a big proponent that we ever landed on the moon -- don't roast me for that. Not a conspiracy theorist either. Certain ideals, no matter the subject at hand transcend what they are intended for. So I leave you with this, modified of course -- HAHAHA! Good luck man, keep pushing...

“We choose to build a Supra in this life and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.”

― John F-2J. Kennedy

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    I can tell you I recently went through the same thought process. I have a whole bunch of money wrapped up in my build due to the person that had the car in storage selling a ton of parts off of it. Unless you are willing to take $.30-$.40 on the dollar for your build good luck finding someone that will pony up the money to buy it for anywhere close to what you have into it. Many people now want a vehicle that is finished, not a project. Keep it and work on it when time and funding allows you to do so.

keep livin man, L I V I N Casey James's Avatar
    Thank you guys for sharing your stories, support and motivation! It’s nice to hear there are more people experiencing circumstances like mine. It’s helping me stick through it and which I’m certain I am now.

I agree, nothing has compared to the Supra for me. My buddy’s really nicely built GTR although amazing and impressive, just didn’t feel right. I didn’t get the bug like I did the first time I rode in a Supra TT. Once I got that bug, it’s never left which is why I have held onto this project for 18 years now.

Again, thank you guys!
    Case
    Last edited by Casey James; 02-28-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

2 Timothy 4:7-8

I think I toasted the motor on mine in 2009 at the track. Rebuilt it, drove it 1 mile in 2012 and parted it out due to being back in school and refusing to take loans out to live off of. Fast forward, it needs about a solid weeks worth of work and can be running again. One thing after another and its sat for another year and a half....one day it will run again. I just have to push everything else away and get some help/motivation. All the cars ive worked on through the years ive never charged a dime to do so, would be nice if the favor was returned in motivation alone.
    1994 Red/Black TT
    86K miles
    Roller...6 speed swap coming soon

I’ve owned my Supra for over 16 years now. When I initially purchased it and probably for the next 5 years after I worked on it Night and day. Then one summer it never got running with turbo upgrades and ecu upgrades. Well that would lead to about a 4 or 5 year window that I didn’t touch the car. Had my first and second child, moved houses.. a lot of “life” got in the way. Only recently in the past 4 years of ownership I’ve been back to working on it and it’s back together and drives great. My Supra will always be in my garage, I don’t owe any money on it so if I don’t touch it for awhile that’s ok.

Very Senior Member Silver Supra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey James View Post
    Thanks guys, thank you 220 for serving etc and thank you plaaya for breaking it down like that. It isn’t costing many anything right now. Eventually I’ll need an ecu and figure what ignition to run. But other than that it’s just time, because my career and family come first. Eventually I’ll get to my 1st retirement income, maybe find some time there lol. I also think about the stress of listing abd pricing all the parts as well. Sometimes I’m not sure what’s worse lol.
    Family always before cars.
    Hang on and you will be able to say:
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
    In more ways than one.
    '94 T Auto Silver Bullet | 471 rwhp at 15.5 psi |

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
    Family always before cars.
    Hang on and you will be able to say:
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
    In more ways than one.
    So very true my friend!

SupraForums Member
    Casey, I’m in the middle of a very similar twin turbo build. My car has been down for almost 4 years. Should be finished late April. Again keep the faith and keep the car it will be worth it in the end
    Quote Originally Posted by jt granberry View Post
    Oh ok. You've raced 6MT MKIV Supras before? PM me your car pics and time slips. Until then, STFU. Airwolf(your avatar) is a make-believe, fictional helicopter. Just like your car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Death comes 4 All View Post
    It just goes to show you that Stupid is Forever...stay in school kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    If he really didn't give a rat's ass, why in the pink-painted fuck did he post this thread, knowing full well what kind of response it would get?

Quote Originally Posted by AlxRSPTT View Post
    Maybe I can get my car back on the road close to when you do Rich! See you on the road. Just bought a new house, and everything has made me put the Supra on the back burner every year. I hope this year I can finally get caught up and start getting all the parts in though.
    Awesome Alex!
    Hopefully we can Make Supra's Great Again in our neck of the woods! I'm sure I'll see you out and about brother! Good luck til then and congrats on the house, I'm actually in the market myself, but this corner of the city is getting ridiculous since I want at least an acre to build a shop, and accounting for the school district for my girls lol (Paseo/Tramway area).

To keep on topic, Casey, I'll admit I lost sight a few times and the car just sat, but every time the spark re-ignites it just reassures me that I'll never get rid of this car. Something funny to add, during this long government shutdown that happened early this year, me being an Air Traffic Controller I was forced to still go to work without pay, not having any end in sight as far as the shutdown goes I was starting to think of what I'd do if it lasted til the end of this year or beyond, I'm talking maybe moving to Canada as a controller and all, like worst case scenario lol. As soon as I mentioned possibly selling the current build as a last resort, my wife stopped me in my tracks and said "NOPE! IT'S NOT GOING! You've worked way too hard on that thing, we'd exercise every other option before you ever got rid of the Supra!" lol. Was good to know she understands my attachment to the car and slapped some sense into me. We all go through rough times man, stay persistent!

-Rich
    Last edited by Kidney; 03-02-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Originally 94 TT Auto Targa, 72k miles. Undergoing surgery...V160/PTE gen 2 7675/GSC S2/Manley 10:1 built 3.0/Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beam/ProEfi/E85

Thanks Phillip and Rich! And Rich, that sucks about being ATC with the shutdown, but that’s also funny with your wife. Mine has been very understanding through it all as well but knows the struggle lol. I’ll keep pressing! I hope this spring and summer I’ll make some headway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in