Discrete audio upgrade with a sub?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Discrete audio upgrade with a sub?

Discrete audio upgrade with a sub?

I’m trying to make my Soup a respectable daily and need decent audio, cause damn the stock sucks.

The front is easy cause the door speakers are easy to replace, but I want to include a decent sub and replace the shit tiny back speakers without butchering the body or taking up extra space in the trunk.

Any good spaces in the rear to put a 10/12 inch sub? I’ve seen some flat 12” subs but I don’t think they’re meant for cars. I’d use the spare space but that gets water in it.

Anyone done it?
    1991 Supra 7M NA
    1992 Lexus SC300 2JZ NA

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

YotaMD.com author
    A few folks have done the spare tire area sub and I think that's by far, the preferred method. If you have a water leakage problem I'd solve that first. If you don't want to do that you can do a very slim 8 or 10" in a downfiring slim box.

I'd ditch the rear speakers altogether. Spend that money on better front stage components. I recently upgraded one of my vehicles using Morel Virtus components only in the front and it's simply amazing compared to any other car system I've experienced. The rear speakers are nice fill if you've already got everything else perfectly dialed, but a waste until then, IMO.

Prioritize your money on those front components. That'll be the biggest improvement, by a long shot, no matter how you approach the build.

Good luck!

SupraForums Member
    back in the 90's when I had my 1987 Supra. I used to do SQ competition in the IASCA based events.

I was running Image Dynamics Horn Loaded Compression drives (vCD-1e) and 6.5 mids (don't recall what the brand was) in the doors.

Phoenix Gold M50 for the fronts which for those HLCD is more than any sane person needs.
    Rears where removed.

Have yet to listen to a car that had as good an imaging as with those HLCD except another HLCD based install.

Rears usually destroy the front imaging. In a proper setup, the fronts will actually do rear fill too.
    Back in the supra game! 89..pics to follow shortly
    Into taking care of paint on cars. Enjoy all vehicles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Boost Addicted emericaskater285's Avatar
    I run an 8" w3 in jl's ported box for it with a xd 700/5 amp with my mids and highs powered by it also. Sounds great, and my targa still clears the sub box.

ill probably throw something similar together for my other supra this summer.
    87 black MKIII
    89 white MKIII

SupraForums Member
    FYI,

I know that apparently there was an option for the MA70 supra that added a sub box in the trunk. It deleted the wood panel that went over the spare tire and it just d a carpet. I never seen it and it is difficult to find.

edit:

found it in the other forum

P1020482.jpg
    Last edited by figgie; 03-08-2019 at 03:31 PM.

upgrade front speakers is a must.

you can also buy speaker mounts for the rear seats where that fabric/leather insert panel is and put in another set of 6.5 speakers.
    some people claim to fit 5 inch speakers in the rear enclosures as well I personally like the sound of 6.5s

so to sum this all up you could:

6.5 inch speakers up front (tweeters too if you feel like cutting a hole)
    6.5 inch speakers mid/rear seat
    5inch speakers in rear enclosures

plus a sub if needed (i have a shallow mount 10inch kenwood ive been saving to build into the spare tire well)

all of these speakers put on an amp should bump pretty good if you get quality speakers. I put 4 6.5's in my 06 tacoma amped and was super impressed and they were only type R's. Never added a sub or even thought about it.

https://retro-spec.myshopify.com/pro...nt=10681254855
    Quote Originally Posted by vCo2v View Post
    Yeah I'm going to go ahead and attempt the yanking of a lifetime tonight.
    89' Mk3 White Package,1jz ,stock twins, Hks SSQV, Dm Inter-cooler kit, Walbro 255lph, AEM Trueboost, AEM Wideband o2, Greddy Sp exhaust, Apexi Safc, Full Led light Resto. Recaro interior
    91 Mk3 Rhd 1jz swap donor Parted and sold
    88' Mk3 Parts car/parted out R.I.P.
    86.5 MK3 7mge na monster SOLD

SupraForums Member
    This is how I mounted my sub in my hatch, it's a Rockford Fosgate 12"... probably not my favorite brand but was on the shallower side so it fit nicely.

I usually have the carpeted portion for the stealth look, but you could definitely run it without.

Sub1.jpgSub2.jpg
    Last edited by kmichaelokelly; 03-11-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmichaelokelly View Post
    This is how I mounted my sub in my hatch, it's a Rockford Fosgate 12"... probably not my favorite brand but was on the shallower side so it fit nicely.

I usually have the carpeted portion for the stealth look, but you could definitely run it without.

Sub1.jpgSub2.jpg
    I'm assuming you cut off the side off the carpet and the wood panel? That looks pretty good IMO, that's probably what I'm aiming for

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadybeings View Post
    I'm assuming you cut off the side off the carpet and the wood panel? That looks pretty good IMO, that's probably what I'm aiming for
    I just cut the wood piece folded the carpet over and put a couple of staples in it.

I put some infinity 6.5 speakers in the front with a small Alpine 4x50 watt amp and it sounds ok but still missing more of a bump. Could be my head unit honestly but not sure. I need to add some to the rear. Will 5" fit in rear mounts?

Eventually I'll get a 8" sub. But power mods come first lol.
    New site www.supra-1jz.us replaces 1jz-gte.us

Still own 92 Teal supra with 1JZ. Making 307whp on last dyno with 14psi stock twins.

Quote Originally Posted by 92supra1jz View Post
    I put some infinity 6.5 speakers in the front with a small Alpine 4x50 watt amp and it sounds ok but still missing more of a bump. Could be my head unit honestly but not sure. I need to add some to the rear. Will 5" fit in rear mounts?

What are your infinities rated for? I would run higher than a 4 ch/50 watt amp and you will get way better performance out of those speakers

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    I have the same problem the balance is off on mine as well I have a Fosgate punch 600.4 amp and alpine sps610c components up front everyone on amazon raves how good they are but they are super bright with the tweaters. Mid bass is just lacking overall.
    Eric W
    87 TT E85
    91 T 60k miles
    98 SC 300

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    I have the same problem the balance is off on mine as well I have a Fosgate punch 600.4 amp and alpine sps610c components up front everyone on amazon raves how good they are but they are super bright with the tweaters. Mid bass is just lacking overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by redwind View Post
    What are your infinities rated for? I would run higher than a 4 ch/50 watt amp and you will get way better performance out of those speakers
    Quote Originally Posted by 92supra1jz View Post

Aftermarket speakers are not meant to have much low-end. OEM speakers are very different and generally have loads of low end, considering their size.

If you're upgrading door speakers you should lose "punch" and mid-bass/bass. You're intended to use a subwoofer, even if it's just a small 6.5" sub. The aftermarket speakers are designed without that low-end on purpose.

If you want to make the most of the non-subwoofer setup I'd prioritize sound treatment on the doors. A simple dynamat treatment helps.

I've had a lot of systems in various cars and just in the last 4 years or so started taking it all more seriously. If I were to make an analogy I'd say messing with a stereo without a subwoofer is like trying to make power on a 7MGE. Everyone "in the know" will just shake their head knowing you're wasting your time without the turbo. Audio subwoofers are the turbo in that analogy. Without one, you're never going to get full response and low end will always lack.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    I have a 10” sub in the back but it still doesn’t sound right it’s like there is just a missing range. Like the balance in my isf or my sc300 sounds sooo much better on OEM. They all have subs. But way more speakers. I’m not a sound guy but im at a point where I’ve completely given up.i did even put the sound insulation on the doors and tried to use a cup to prevent leakage

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    I have a 10” sub in the back but it still doesn’t sound right it’s like there is just a missing range. Like the balance in my isf or my sc300 sounds sooo much better on OEM. They all have subs. But way more speakers. I’m not a sound guy but im at a point where I’ve completely given up.i did even put the sound insulation on the doors and tried to use a cup to prevent leakage
    You probably need some tuning via a ~13 way or more EQ in the deck or a separate DSP. Unless you're using high end speakers in well-treated installations I think it's pretty likely the default settings in the average deck don't match the response of the aftermarket speakers without some tweaking.

If it's worth your time, you could buy the Dayton mic for android or iphone and get a feel for what frequencies are missing and go from there. Tuning by ear is a complete crapshoot unless you are very, very seasoned and have better than normal hearing. I definitely can't do it worth a damn without a mic/RTA setup. Using that mic helped me discover some serious gaps and frequencies with odd interference in my Land Cruiser.

Here's the mic I currently have. It's definitely good enough to give you an idea where you have gaps. https://amzn.to/2Df6g1l

If you want something better there are plenty of options around $100 that will be fully digital, but the $22 option above probably makes more sense for your initial testing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in