Record MKIV sale at Amelia - 173k!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Record MKIV sale at Amelia - 173k!!

  1. #1

    Record MKIV sale at Amelia - 173k!!

    Saw a little discussion about this in another thread, thought I would create a post to discuss further

    https://jalopnik.com/somebody-just-p...ota-1833178258

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    SupraForums Member suprahero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Roll Tide
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,585
    I was the high bidder for a while at 173,000 but he got me right at the end. I should have set my highest bid to 174,000.00
    Beautiful specimen of a MKIV and I love a targa top, but I wouldn't have paid more than fifty for it.
    1.5jz 640 RWHP, 606RWTQ


  4. #3
    ...pop the hood! jdm-rhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    orbiting caprica
    Posts
    600
    i see it went to switzerland for a while, but did it ever belong to a member here?
    95 usdm hardtop supra (new project)
    93 jdm hardtop supra (traded for 93 single fd)
    88 supra 7mgte (drift project)
    93 big single prt built widebody rx7
    93 tt rx7 (stockish)
    04 nissan 350z (traded for supra lol)
    05 bmw z4 - sold
    05 toyota x-runner - speedway blue (my dd)
    16 toyota tacoma texas ed - silver sky metallic
    16 toyota tacoma texas ed - blazing blue pearl
    19 toyota tacoma trd sport - calvery blue (wife's dd)
    05 ninja 636 (modded - gone!)
    God is good

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Which would be a more desirable color black on tan or black on black?

  7. #5
    1 ur Mom warned U about H_a_D_e_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dubai - Kansas
    Posts
    654
    Will come down to personal preference ..but always Black/Black for me
    98 Supra BPU 6 Spd
    - A few other toys


    ***** Looking for a Black/Black or White/Black 6spd, under 40K miles. PM Me if you are selling yours *****

  8. #6
    Super Moderator Wreckless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    9,898
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
    Which would be a more desirable color black on tan or black on black?
    Black on black.

    Black has always been more desirable than tan, and I haven't the fucking foggiest idea why they're saying otherwise - but the price it got certainly speaks for itself.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    Black on black.

    Black has always been more desirable than tan, and I haven't the fucking foggiest idea why they're saying otherwise - but the price it got certainly speaks for itself.
    I agree. It is nice to see how nice tan can look though!

  10. #8
    Low Mile Supras MkivOldStock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    603
    I do not believe the price paid represented the market. I think it was from the publicity of the car and there were several others that sold for record prices as well, like a BMW 850csi at over $180+
    PM me on low mile Blk/Blk’s

  11. #9
    Very Senior Member Silver Supra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    2 Pa Low
    Posts
    9,659
    Quote Originally Posted by MkivOldStock View Post
    I do not believe the price paid represented the market. ....
    The price paid always represents the market at that time. High or low, it all depends on what someone is willing to pay.
    Does not mean the next one will be as high - or it might be higher. The market will decide.
    '94 T Auto Silver Bullet | 471 rwhp at 15.5 psi |

  12. #10
    Low Mile Supras MkivOldStock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
    The price paid always represents the market at that time. High or low, it all depends on what someone is willing to pay.
    Does not mean the next one will be as high - or it might be higher. The market will decide.
    I’m trying to say that I don’t think the $173,000 is what the average price for a car of that spec is. I believe it sold for that because Amelia Island was a highly anticipated, publicized, and famous auction. If it was casually listed on Craigslist or Autotrader I do believe it would have sold around the $100k-120k they estimated it to be worth.
    Last edited by MkivOldStock; 03-13-2019 at 12:28 PM.

  13. #11
    NiSmO [email protected] supergoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    westchester NY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    Black on black.

    Black has always been more desirable than tan, and I haven't the fucking foggiest idea why they're saying otherwise - but the price it got certainly speaks for itself.
    Lets see how close I can get with this next acquisition.... >. Has miles but my god you could lick every part of it and taste nothing but glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by OOBE View Post
    the shop power fucked you at 140 mph too :D
    Quote Originally Posted by x X CLoud X x View Post
    why the Hell is there a FUCKN SAILOR MOON ON A SUPRA!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLB View Post
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
    hell, he has a better chance of getting gov't funding to build the playboy mansion into an orbital launch vehicle to set a new record of nonstop consecutive orbital blowjobs from playboy playmates.
    94 Alpine Silver Supra TT 6spd ( for sale) https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=234504432
    91 Cherry Red Pearl Z32 TT 6spd

  14. #12
    Wheel Whore SupraWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    UT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,217
    As a kid, I religiously read Hemmings Motor News. This was in the early '90s and closely watched the prices of all my dream cars which were at the time, the Porsche 930 and 965 models, the Lamborghini Countach's, and all the Ferraris. There was always one particular car my father had his sights set on. And that was the 73 Porsche Carrera RS.

    During those times (circa 1992-1995), we watched prices as they floated on average, $50,000 and $75,000 for prime examples. He even got close to purchasing a 73 Carrera RS that was local to our family and after viewing the car, he decided that at the time, that you could get a slightly used 964 C2 coupe for slightly cheaper. And there were always examples that had been repainted or restored and were selling for as low as $35,000.

    As the years go by, I still go to the Barnes and Noble to pick up the latest in Hemmings Motor News. A few years ago 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS models were selling for $3+ million dollars and above. The air-cooled 911 bubble has definitely calmed, but the 73 Carrera RS when listed today are from $700k and well into the 7 figures.

    I'm not claiming that the MKIV will do this. But I have had many a car, and have yet to meet another turbocharged vehicle that is as primal as the MKIV Supra. And this is was a very hard lesson learned when wasting thousands u[on thousands of dollars building other cars that need substantial engine builds as well as substantial budgets just to make 600 HP.

    Well, what about the Dodge Demon or the latest GT-500? Or even the R35? Are you saying that because they could make gobs of power from the factory then they should be going up in value too right?

    Not exactly but who knows. But now that it's 2019 I don't know how long we will have the privilege of having all these fun powerful cars coming out before everything goes full electric.

    I'll hang onto the MKIV for a while.
    My old and current favorites.

    Old:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KrBytvXLE

    Current:
    04 Porsche GT3
    87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    93.5 Premier Edition Original TT

    Poopra by Jeff Willis, on Flickr

  15. #13
    Low Mile Supras MkivOldStock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
    Which would be a more desirable color black on tan or black on black?
    It comes down to personal preference, but more 202 cars were tan than black.
    Last edited by MkivOldStock; 03-16-2019 at 01:16 PM.

  16. #14
    Smith & Wesson Member S&W 500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    534
    I've been receiving crazy offers for my car - Nuts.....



    1995 SIL/Blk 9sec Street/Race Car (GT47-88 - Sold)
    1994 Blk/Blk 6spd Hardtop T - APU (1 of 326 - 17K Original Miles - Original Paint)
    1993 Blk/Blk 6spd Hardtop TT - BPU (2 of 326 - SOLD To Kracin)
    1991 Wht/Red A/TM Hardtop T - (Original Paint)

  17. #15
    Very Senior Member Silver Supra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    2 Pa Low
    Posts
    9,659
    Quote Originally Posted by MkivOldStock View Post
    If it was casually listed on Craigslist or Autotrader I do believe it would have sold around the $100k-120k they estimated it to be worth.
    I know what you are saying and I know what the auctioneers thought the car would sell for. What I said and say is "the market decides" and it did in this case and will in the next case. They buyer always sets the price - seller can set a reserve, but unless a buyer agrees, there is no sale.
    I have no idea what the next low mileage stock MKIV will sell for. My guess is probably between $40K and $400K.
    Maybe!

  18. #16
    Anime Dork saiyajinimports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,957
    I'm curious what a sub 10k bone stock hardtop 6 speed TT would sell at auction?

    Does anyone think that would sell higher than this example or similar?
    Allen Castillo
    Elmhurst Toyota Parts
    COMMONLY REQUESTED PART NUMBERS LINK
    ONLINE ORDERING NOW AVAILABLE HERE PRICING IS SLIGHTLY CHEAPER
    Out of town:
    Mon-Fri 10:30AM - 8:00PM
    SAT 7:30AM - 3:00PM
    www.equnit.com FOR ALL YOUR CUSTOM BAG AND BACKPACK NEEDS
    http://www.mastermindna.com FOR ALL YOUR HARD TO FIND JDM PARTS, WHEELS AND AERO NEEDS
    [email protected]

  19. #17
    Twin Meister
    Moderator
    KenHenderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    SoCali
    Posts
    9,980
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraWillis View Post
    As a kid, I religiously read Hemmings Motor News. This was in the early '90s and closely watched the prices of all my dream cars which were at the time, the Porsche 930 and 965 models, the Lamborghini Countach's, and all the Ferraris. There was always one particular car my father had his sights set on. And that was the 73 Porsche Carrera RS.

    During those times (circa 1992-1995), we watched prices as they floated on average, $50,000 and $75,000 for prime examples. He even got close to purchasing a 73 Carrera RS that was local to our family and after viewing the car, he decided that at the time, that you could get a slightly used 964 C2 coupe for slightly cheaper. And there were always examples that had been repainted or restored and were selling for as low as $35,000.

    As the years go by, I still go to the Barnes and Noble to pick up the latest in Hemmings Motor News. A few years ago 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS models were selling for $3+ million dollars and above. The air-cooled 911 bubble has definitely calmed, but the 73 Carrera RS when listed today are from $700k and well into the 7 figures.

    I'm not claiming that the MKIV will do this. But I have had many a car, and have yet to meet another turbocharged vehicle that is as primal as the MKIV Supra. And this is was a very hard lesson learned when wasting thousands u[on thousands of dollars building other cars that need substantial engine builds as well as substantial budgets just to make 600 HP.

    Well, what about the Dodge Demon or the latest GT-500? Or even the R35? Are you saying that because they could make gobs of power from the factory then they should be going up in value too right?

    Not exactly but who knows. But now that it's 2019 I don't know how long we will have the privilege of having all these fun powerful cars coming out before everything goes full electric.

    I'll hang onto the MKIV for a while.
    There's truth in this post. I'm sure we all have stories about the "big one" that got away but, while in college, I had the first opportunity to purchase a pristine Porsche 914-6 for exactly $1,000. At the time, the general consensus was that these cars were junk, particularly the four-cylinder models which had bad overheating problems straight from the showroom floor. Being a poor college student and a vehicle skeptic, I passed. Now, just look at what the clean ones are going for.

    Nobody can figure out why some cars take off like the 914-6s and the MKIV and others do not. If I had to hazard a guess, because the BaT sale of $121K and, now, this sale has attracted the attention of those with lots of money who were previously unfamiliar with the car, I would say we will continue to be surprised by the sale prices of clean cars. As these folks conduct their research and figure out how low the actual number is for USDM turbo cars, I believe there will be continued upward pressure on the prices of cars considered collectible.


    Ken.
    www.sp-power.com
    HKS 3.4L: 1110 all-boost whp/839 lb-ft @ 2.6KG/CM^2
    1994 "SP ENGINEERING" TWIN HKS GT3240 TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO

    1985 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type 5MT
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo Hardtop/Sunroof 5MT (BPU)
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo Hard Top (BPU)
    1995 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
    2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2010 Lexus IS-F
    2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport

  20. #18
    Twin Meister
    Moderator
    KenHenderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    SoCali
    Posts
    9,980
    Quote Originally Posted by saiyajinimports View Post
    I'm curious what a sub 10k bone stock hardtop 6 speed TT would sell at auction?

    Does anyone think that would sell higher than this example or similar?
    That's a good question, Allen. On SF, I'm sure the consensus would be that the hard top would sell for a higher price, but I am not sure the greater buying public values the hard top the way we do. This is all just anecdotal on my part but, when people I know tell me which one of my MKIV cars is their favorite, it's almost never my hard top. When it is, it's because of the color, or the fact that it's wingless. Most see the lack of a targa top as being less attractive than the sport roofs of Blackie and Eau Rouge. This is certainly not scientific, but the comments on BaT regarding Supra sales would lead me to draw this conclusion as well.


    Ken.

  21. #19
    Moderator
    l337 M0d3r4t0r
    ZaZZn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Toronto/San Francisco
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12,096
    We said values of mk4's would go up because of the mk5 letdown... Well I guess we just found out how much.
    Eric W
    87 TT E85
    91 T 60k miles
    98 SC 300

  22. #20
    Low Mile Supras MkivOldStock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by saiyajinimports View Post
    I'm curious what a sub 10k bone stock hardtop 6 speed TT would sell at auction?

    Does anyone think that would sell higher than this example or similar?
    It depends which auction and probably how much notice people have. I have a STRONG feeling that whoever bought the car at Amelia island was NOT a Supra lover, and was just a wealthy person looking to add a unique car into their collection. I think hardtops apply more to the real Supra crowd. I think a car like that would only do marginally better at Amelia Island, but get much more attention for a sale if posted online.
    Last edited by MkivOldStock; 03-14-2019 at 07:05 PM.

  23. #21
    Anime Dork saiyajinimports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,957
    Quote Originally Posted by KenHenderson View Post
    That's a good question, Allen. On SF, I'm sure the consensus would be that the hard top would sell for a higher price, but I am not sure the greater buying public values the hard top the way we do. This is all just anecdotal on my part but, when people I know tell me which one of my MKIV cars is their favorite, it's almost never my hard top. When it is, it's because of the color, or the fact that it's wingless. Most see the lack of a targa top as being less attractive than the sport roofs of Blackie and Eau Rouge. This is certainly not scientific, but the comments on BaT regarding Supra sales would lead me to draw this conclusion as well.


    Ken.
    Ken i totally get where you are coming from, but i think that those people who are true car collectors will look for the rarity factor of the hardtop 6 speed's here state side versus from those in other markets especially those collectors who have started to take notice of the supra who wouldn't have looked at it otherwise. i think the collectibles market in japanese cars is definitely gonna be something to look at in the next decade or so.

  24. #22
    Twin Meister
    Moderator
    KenHenderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    SoCali
    Posts
    9,980
    Allen,

    I agree with what you are saying about true collectors. My comments were relative to those who only have peripheral knowledge about Supras, but have money to burn. I also agree with your comments about the coming collectibility of Japanese cars in the years to come.


    Ken.

  25. #23
    SupraForums Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    200
    Ken - Do you think that a "true car collector" might do enough homework (i.e. reviewing forums and such) to be able to discern which options are the most desirable for a particular car, and then search for that specific configuration? I decided to buy a Supra about 8 years ago because I wanted something nobody else around here had, never thinking its value might appreciate over that time. Perhaps I've answered my own question...

  26. #24
    SupraForums Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    123
    If the car sold for 173k that means not only did the high bidder pay that much, but the losing bidder was offering like 172k. Hell there could have been a 3rd bidder involved that got out at 150k. Tan interior is underrated in the Supra.

  27. #25
    Anime Dork saiyajinimports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,957
    It will definitely be interesting to see what the next Supra that will come up for auction will bring

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in

Similar Threads

  1. Jacksonville / Amelia Island
    By aljordan in forum Florida Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 07:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •