Record MKIV sale at Amelia - 173k!! - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Record MKIV sale at Amelia - 173k!!

SupraForums Member
    Guys, I don't understand what the big deal is about a MKIV selling for $173,000. I mean it's no where close to what the MKV supra sold for at Barrett Jackson... 2.1 mil... more than you can afford pal...

Only kidding guys. On a serious note, I think the MKIV selling for that much gives a a pretty good indication on how the MKV supra is impacting the prices of the MKIV.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Twin Meister
    Quote Originally Posted by Supraman0614 View Post
    Ken - Do you think that a "true car collector" might do enough homework (i.e. reviewing forums and such) to be able to discern which options are the most desirable for a particular car, and then search for that specific configuration? I decided to buy a Supra about 8 years ago because I wanted something nobody else around here had, never thinking its value might appreciate over that time. Perhaps I've answered my own question...
    Yes, in the general scheme of things, I think the "true collector" would do all that you described and more. If he/she did, though, they would quickly find out how rare the clean cars with no stories are. So far, the $121k and the $173k cars have been original 6MT cars. Depending on what source you believe, there were only 4,038 or 4,039 6MT cars sold in the USDM and that was from 21-26 years ago. I also think it's important to separate the SF consensus regarding desirability from that of the general buying public that will also include "true collectors". On SF, Renaissance Red, for the most part, is not considered a desirable color, but none of us would have predicted an RR car going for $121k or a black car (the most popular Supra color of all) going for $173k.

Given the fact these cars have been out of production for so long, an educated "true collector" is going to realize very soon, IMO, that his/her most desirable configuration may not be available. If not, the choice, then, becomes does the collector take a pass on that sub 10k-mile white car staring him in the face, hoping that a QS, RSP, IJM, Baltic or Anthracite car, with the same condition and mileage, will show up later? For almost any other mass-produced passenger car that has become collectible (various Camaros, 911s, certain Lambos, Astons and Ferraris) it might be worth the gamble, but is that a gamble worth taking with the Supra? That is the question.

Ken.
    www.sp-power.com
    HKS 3.4L: 1110 all-boost whp/839 lb-ft @ 2.6KG/CM^2
    1994 "SP ENGINEERING" TWIN HKS GT3240 TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO

1985 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type 5MT
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo Hardtop/Sunroof 5MT (BPU)
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo Hard Top (BPU)
    1995 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
    2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2010 Lexus IS-F
    2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport

Amelia is nothing but a "who's wallet is deeper contest" I feel as if this is nothing but a facade of the true market. Put a bunch of arrogant, rich people in an environment with their peers, add some alcohol and let the $100's burn.
    1994 Red/Black TT
    86K miles
    Roller...6 speed swap coming soon

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

^ I can’t agree more.
    PM me on low mile Blk/Blk’s

Quote Originally Posted by KenHenderson View Post
    Yes, in the general scheme of things, I think the "true collector" would do all that you described and more. If he/she did, though, they would quickly find out how rare the clean cars with no stories are. So far, the $121k and the $173k cars have been original 6MT cars. Depending on what source you believe, there were only 4,038 or 4,039 6MT cars sold in the USDM and that was from 21-26 years ago. I also think it's important to separate the SF consensus regarding desirability from that of the general buying public that will also include "true collectors". On SF, Renaissance Red, for the most part, is not considered a desirable color, but none of us would have predicted an RR car going for $121k or a black car (the most popular Supra color of all) going for $173k.

Given the fact these cars have been out of production for so long, an educated "true collector" is going to realize very soon, IMO, that his/her most desirable configuration may not be available. If not, the choice, then, becomes does the collector take a pass on that sub 10k-mile white car staring him in the face, hoping that a QS, RSP, IJM, Baltic or Anthracite car, with the same condition and mileage, will show up later? For almost any other mass-produced passenger car that has become collectible (various Camaros, 911s, certain Lambos, Astons and Ferraris) it might be worth the gamble, but is that a gamble worth taking with the Supra? That is the question.

Ken.
    Wholeheartedly agreed. The major factor that the Supra has that isn't shared by the Lambos, Astons, etc is the overwhelming drive of Supra owners to modify their cars. Pick any 100 MK4's around today and about half of them are in pieces in someone's garage, and out of the 50 that are on the road, *maybe* one or two are stock or near-stock. Exhausts, wheels, coilovers, intakes, intercoolers etc are profoundly abundant.
    Finding a 100% stock TT 6-spd with truly low mileage in a desirable color combo? Basically a unicorn. Which then fetches unicorn prices.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    Amelia is nothing but a "who's wallet is deeper contest" I feel as if this is nothing but a facade of the true market. Put a bunch of arrogant, rich people in an environment with their peers, add some alcohol and let the $100's burn.
    I can't help but feel the same way. Well said.
    Last edited by Wreckless; 03-17-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

I think black is the poorest color for any vehicle short of the Batmobile. It hides most of the lines. Something like gray, silver or Red Pearl Metallic 3H1 would be a better choice. I think a gray interior looks best but maybe that's my opinion since I've been driving my MKIII for 23 years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in