Help! BOV spring psi rating compared to what I need for my 7mgte’s vacuum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! BOV spring psi rating compared to what I need for my 7mgte’s vacuum

Help! BOV spring psi rating compared to what I need for my 7mgte’s vacuum

What is the vacuum rating for a 7mgte and is my Forge Splitter recirculating BOV with a spring rate of 7-11 psi okay for it?? Really not sure what I’m asking just was told to make sure my BOV would work for the vacuum of the 7mgte. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

99% of all BOVs will work with the 7M.
    Been screwing with 7Ms since 1993, and have imported hundreds, if not thousands of BOVs from Japan from about '98 till 2015 when I was bringing in stuff from Japan., and not one of them ever called out a psi rating, that was only on waste gates.

And beware, 'Forge' brand is right out of china....

Thank you! Yeah I know I got it for free from a friend off his rx7 he was parting out. I watched a video on it since it’s for VW’s it’s adjustable and it won’t be on the finished product it’s just getting it running. Thanks for the advice man.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Most are adjustable.
    You want just enough tension on the spring so it doesn't blow open under boost, and that is not much because when you are under boost, that pressure is being applied to both sides of the piston in the BOV, and this equal pressure, plus a little spring pressure is what holds the piston closed until you chop the throttle.

Having the spring too tight will delay the BOV from opening quick enough, and this is what shocks the turbo, causing problems.

You can't fault free !
    Just make4 sure it's clean inside, so it isn't sticking, and lube with some light oil.
    Piston type BOVs do have to be cleaned once in a while.

Six pack, you seem to know your stuff pretty well and I got my build back together and was wondering how to figure out if my engine is on the compression stroke or not for timing I may have ruined my motor idk lol I already tried to start it it went and rumbles a couple times but sprayed fuel out of a hard line banjo bolt realized I didn’t have the top and bottom crush washers on and it was hand tight so gotta fix that. But if fixing the fuel leak doesn’t work and there is spark on all cylinders and the plugs are in the right spot timing would be the next issue right?

If you do rebuild the Piston type blow off valve, just make sure that you don't use regular engine oil when you pur it back together. it's always best to use a hydraulic oil or some other fluid that will not attract dirt and contaminants.

Egg, as long as all your timing marks line up, crank mark at the 0 mark on the timing cover, cam gear marks at the notches in the back plate up on top, as the TSRM shows, your good, as all timing is taken off the exhaust cam anyway.

It is possible to get 1 tooth off on the exhaust cam from the intake, and it almost looks like it lines up with the notches, so double check that.
    If I remember correctly (its been quite a few years since I went by the notches in the top plate, I do everything with a degree wheel & dial indicators now) but I think there are supposed to be 18 belt teeth between the timing marks on the cam gears, but that may not be correct.

The next thing to check is if you plugged the CPS in correctly.
    Again, follow the TSRM.
    I've had a factory manual since I bought my very first 7M in '93, and even then, the first time the head came off, I didn't quite get it right.
    Went back, and followed the TSRM step by step, and got it.
    I can't imagine doing that procedure off a cell phone. I have to carry one at work, and fucking hate it for looking up tech info on the net.
    It is so limited compared to just spending $50 on eBay for a good used factory manual.

Check those

She’s back alive! Just a few more things to get her road ready man. I appreciate the help. It was the CPS not lined up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in