time for tires

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: time for tires

SupraForums Member supralover93's Avatar

time for tires

figured this would be the best place to ask about tires.
    i just got done installing my HKS hypermax4s after having Tien HAs for about 15 years and its already made such a huge difference but my BFG KDWs are old and starting to crack so i'm looking to upgrade.
    i also have TRD sway bars and will be getting a corner balance and alignment after the tires incase thats all a factor in selecting tires.
    currently have 255/35/18, 295/35/18. only change i'm looking to make is going with a 265/40 in the front to get a little wider and taller for ground clearance and to get closer to that 26".
    i've always ran Michelins on my DDs and loved them but never on the supra and was thinking its time to change that, maybe.
    on tirerack i cant seem to find too much of a selection, years ago it seemed like there was a huge selection in those sizes, but the PS2 and Super Sport do come up. the Conti Extremecontact sport also comes up.
    any advice? i've been running KDWs for over 10 years and they were ok for when i was daily driving, nothing spectacular but got the job done and looked cool lol.
    ive never road raced but would like to do a couple weekend events this year as a noob but this is mostly a fun street car.

any advice?

thanks
    §§
    93 turbo targa
    auto
    BPU

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SF Contributing Member bitshftr's Avatar
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport FTW! Very capable track tires for a Supra, until you get into the top 25% group of drivers. And they are quiet.
    1995 Supra NA, Baltic Blue, targa, TRD LSD, Recaro Sport seats, Cusco carbon fiber front/rear strut tower bars, 97+ front turns
    Passport hardwired, w/ amped remote speakers in seat harness slots
    Hidden/hardwired garage door opener w/ custom Supra dash button

1995 Supra TT, BPU+, Baltic Blue, targa, TRD front/Cusco rear strut tower bars, 98 headlights w/ 6k HIDs, 97+ front turns, BNR turbos, Tial BOV, HKS Super Drager exhaust, SSR Professor SP1 wheels, Racelogic TC, VPC/GCC
    Passport hardwired
    Hidden/hardwired garage door opener w/ custom Supra dash button
    Subtle white LED dash backlights

Tires have come a long way and you’re in for a pleasant surprise. Few questions back at you first

1: ok with summer only tires?

2: is appearance truly a factor?

3: how many miles do you expect to get out of a set? Sounds like age gets them before miles but figure I’d ask.

4: what’s your wheel widths?

I wouldn’t get too concerned over the tire dimensions. A lot of the companies have...fudged their numbers, and compromising tire selection over 10mm is a losing battle.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Summer is ok with me, I don't really expect to drive it in the rain.
    Appearance isn't a huge factor but I like the way my current sizes fit.
    Mileage isn't a huge issue either, your right, since it stopped being my DD the age gets to them faster.
    9" front 10" rear

Thank you guys

Sorry it took a little to get back to you. Had to look up sizing options.

Primary recommendation - Yokohama A052. It’s the “cheater tire” at the moment for the 200tw category. And conveniently comes in the sizes you want. But it’s pricey.

Next two you’ll have to compromise on sizes. I’d recommend the Re71r first and the Hankook RS4 next.

Again, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of grip you pick up with a fresh set of any of the above 3 tires.

Forgot to add, you mentioned Michelin earlier and I truly am a big fan of their tires. They truly are high quality, but they just haven’t dabbled in the 200tw fast tire war.

The Pilot Sport 4s is a great tire. Ride quality, rain, etc, is all good. Just won’t be quite as fast or provide as good of feedback in a perfect dry day like the ones above.

Mmmm . . . boost
    How do the A052s sound after some miles?

I've had a set of [albeit] hard A048s and they were louder than BFGoodrich KM2s on my truck (kidding/not kidding).

My current AD08Rs on my MR2 (and Supra) have gotten loud over time.
    2001 VZN185 Sport Blk/Oak
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift w/ Bilstein 5150s + Weds Adventure Mad Spoke "Hase Spec" wheels w/ 285/75R16 KM2s + Shrockworks Bullbar + CBI Sliders + Budbuilt Skids + Wet Okoles + Weathertech'd
    1997 JZA80 TT GGP/Blk - BPU+
    Best ET: 12.36 Best MPH: 122.30, 18-inch SSR GT2 RS, + Featured in Modified Magazine's 2011 Readers' Ride Issue
    1991 SW20 Turbo Blk/Blk - Built
    17-inch SSR GT2
    1987 AE86 GT-S Hardtop Coupe - SOLD :(
    1999 JZZ31 Blk/Blk - SOLD

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrvin View Post
    Forgot to add, you mentioned Michelin earlier and I truly am a big fan of their tires. They truly are high quality, but they just haven’t dabbled in the 200tw fast tire war...

What about the sport cup 2?
    Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else. Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving. The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
    - Adrian Rogers

Thanks guys. I already pulled the trigger on the Michelins last week.

Hardvin, I will try this out and look at the others you mentioned next time. Im sure I don't have as much experience driving hard as you do so those would probably be a waste for me ATM lol

SupraForums Member
    In case anyone does consider it, I wouldn't recommend any of those tires in the rain with a sidewall under 40R. Or any tire over a 275 width. It's dangerous at any speed over 50MPH

I actually just put on a new set of Yokohama A052 and ran in Thunderhill East with wet conditions. I definitely took it easy but it performed pretty good in my opinion.

Unlimited Time Attack A70 Twin2Turbo's Avatar
    I run 275/35/18 RE71Rs. Amazing 200tw tire and excellent wet traction for a R
    -Nick

1JZ|Link|Precision|Brembo|DBA|Tilton|Carrillo|Diamond|InjectorDynamic|TurboSmart|Technico|ATI|BC|HKS|And Everything Else|
    My Build Thread <-> Www.projecthighrpm.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in