First time building a 7mgte - What am I missing? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First time building a 7mgte - What am I missing?

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
    Dirty6,

I don't understand the comment about replacing the oil squirters. These are a completely pedestrian item like an oil pan baffle as another example, that is a lifetime part and I cannot see them providing any trouble. Ever. Were you thinking of another bit, perhaps?
    They are a potential wear item. They may look like just a nozzle, but they are indeed a spring-controlled valve and can theoretically wear/leak over time.

Quote Originally Posted by 877mgte View Post
    It's actually the squirter bolts. They contain a small pressure spring, which can wear out and cause oil pressure issues from what I've heard. I got an OEM set for around $60. I think that's pretty cheap insurance considering the fact that I intend for this engine to last an extremely long time.
    Agreed. I always get a new set on an engine build.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Interesting - thanks for the insight on the squirters. I was not aware they were anything other than a tube and orifice but that makes sense if they have a moving part that can cause issues.

Just dropped off a bunch of parts at the machine shop. He asked if I wanted to balance the crank / rods / pistons for an extra $300, but said it usually wasn't necessary with these engines. Anyone here have an opinion on balancing during a rebuild?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

YotaMD.com author
    Just dropped off a bunch of parts at the machine shop. He asked if I wanted to balance the crank / rods / pistons for an extra $300, but said it usually wasn't necessary with these engines. Anyone here have an opinion on balancing during a rebuild?
    I don't have much experience with it, but an extra $300 isn't much in the grand scheme. I'd do it.

When I do my engine build I plan on having everything balanced/blueprinted (I think those mean the same in this context, but I could be wrong).

I would, cheap insurance.

If you plan to turn higher RPM, you may want them to match the balance factor to the goal rpm range.
    The higher the rpm, the greater percentage.
    This means either more weight on the counterweights, or less weight on the piston/rod/pin side.

The more modern crank balancers will actually display this info on the control screen.
    The balance factor is determined by the weight of the lower half of the rod, and rod bearing added to a percentage of the upper rod, pin, piston, and rings.
    Shops that do a lot of race engines will know the percentage numbers for different rpm ranges.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in