Rear Tires Vs HP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear Tires Vs HP

Rear Tires Vs HP

Hello all, been a member on here for awhile but finally just bought my first mkiv Supra.
    My car is a 1993 single turbo with plans of running 800hp+.

Ive owned/driven many turbo cars with high HP but want to know what you are getting for traction with your current power and tire setup.

I an trying to get a gauge of when a tire like a R888 is not longer enough grip and a more agressive tire with softer sidewall is needed. I’m about to buy wheels for my car and I am trying to decide on either an 18” wheel or drag pack setup.

Ive combed through the forum but cant find much on current setups, also just wanted to take the opportunity to get active on the forum again.
    Andrew
    Orlando, FL
    1993 White 6-Speed
    2012 VW GTI (Daily)
    Instagram @Performance_Review_Channel

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Do you have traction control on your standalone?

I do also boost by gear.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

If you're considering a drag pack, then there's no reason not to get it. That way, you can feel the most power possible VS spinning a good chunk of it away with 18's or up.

The 17" size drag radials hook pretty well also, and can be a compromise.

Al
    94TT Auto, 6466
    [email protected] 27 psi 4/16/16
    Previous setup: HKS Twin 2835's
    [email protected] 32 psi, 10/29/06

Previous car: 90 Talon AWD, 5 spd, FP Red (60-1)
    [email protected] built motor, 28 psi, Sept 2000

At ~550whp on 93, my car with 315-25-19 r888s spins completely through 1st and 2nd gear, all with a relatively lazy turbo in the s369. I plan on going with r888r 305-30-19s for good all-around street tires in FL. At the power level of 789whp on E85, even the r888rs probably wont hook very well, but I like the tires being the weak link , and not my rear end or axles.

SupraForums Member
    ^ Drop wheel size to 18" or 17" and increase the profile of the tire and it will give you more traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_R View Post
    ^ Drop wheel size to 18" or 17" and increase the profile of the tire and it will give you more traction.
    obviously, but as I said, I would like to keep the tires as the weak point and put less stress on the drivetrain. Was moreso trying to give th OP some more data points to work with.

Sounds like 17s are the best middle ground.

Keep suspension in mind - if you're on stock rear control arms and the car is lowered, rear weight transfer under acceleration is quite literally rolling the tires off of their contact patch.
    It is especially bad if the car is lowered more than ~1.25in-1.5 in the rear and still on stock control arms.

Raising the rear suspension to be lowered no more than ~0.75-1in than stock, and minimizing the rear camber (getting it as close to 0* as possible on both sides) will help considerably as well. While doing that, have the 'Lance Alignment' specs done on the front and also use the Lance specs for rear toe.
    Much past 700whp, adjustable rear upper control arms make a huge difference by reducing the negative camber gained under weight transfer, it also allows you to correct the rear camber independently of the rest of the rear alignment settings.
    It also means you can keep the car lowered and still correct the excessive negative camber created by the stock control arms.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2Supra1 View Post
    At ~550whp on 93, my car with 315-25-19 r888s spins completely through 1st and 2nd gear, all with a relatively lazy turbo in the s369. I plan on going with r888r 305-30-19s for good all-around street tires in FL. At the power level of 789whp on E85, even the r888rs probably wont hook very well, but I like the tires being the weak link , and not my rear end or axles.

I'm no subject matter expert, but I suspect you're not overpowering the tires - something else is going on. I drove a friend's 6-spd car making 600 whp and running 265/35 19 r888 rears. On cold tires, i got a bit of tire spin at the top of first, none in second.
    Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else. Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving. The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
    - Adrian Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Bush View Post

I'm no subject matter expert, but I suspect you're not overpowering the tires - something else is going on. I drove a friend's 6-spd car making 600 whp and running 265/35 19 r888 rears. On cold tires, i got a bit of tire spin at the top of first, none in second.
    600whp on cold 265s with no R-compound tires. Wat. Seems to me no way that would hook properly in 2nd. And this is coming from a guy that used to have a ~360whp ls1 firebird that would spin them in first and second on 275 nitto 555s. I understand every chassis, torque figure, rear ratio, and tire is different, but we should be able to generalize somewhat...

Edited.
    Last edited by MR2Supra1; 03-28-2019 at 10:24 PM.

I'm not serious
    Administrator
    17" with M&H racemasters drag radial. Done.
    pink painted powerfucked cat's ass - Jeff (Wreckless) 2018

Find me on IG: @sick_6
    supraforums on IG:@SUPRAFORUMSPICS
    Looking for turbo auto or 6spd Supras!
    93 Alpine Auto
    94 Alpine 6spd
    94 RR 6spd
    97 Alpine AT
    98 QS AT
    ①③⑤
    ├┼┼┐
    ②④⑥R

Do you get any wobble with those?

same Lance as S. FL tuner lance? My car was tuned by him but I just bought the damn thing and honestly dont know the specs of the suspension setup. All I know is it has coilovers. Heh.
    No - Lance W the super OG MK4 owner from the 90's that spent a lot of time getting an ideal alignment sorted out.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/lance_alignment/index.html

Listing 'tuners' in S. FL reads like a book of baby names, anyway.

SupraForums Member
    600whp on cold 265s with no R-compound tires. Wat. Seems to me no way that would hook properly in 2nd. And this is coming from a guy that used to have a ~360whp ls1 firebird that would spin them in first and second on 275 nitto 555s. I understand every chassis, torque figure, rear ratio, and tire is different, but we should be able to generalize somewhat...

I don't understand your comment - the r888 is an R compound tire. You said you're spinning a 325/25 19 r888 through second gear at 550 whp. I'm saying that doesn't make sense to me because a 265/35 19 didn't spin in second at 600 whp. If you're spinning that tire through second gear at only 550 whp, I think it's due to something other than simply overpowering the tire. If you were running MPSS's or some other non-R comp tire, that would be different.

My father has r888 315s 18’s on his turbo Cobra. With 680whp and 650 torque it didnt spin 3rd, it spun 2nd but not hard.

I have a 17x11.5 rear wheel with 315/35/17 R888. I properly warm my tires up before beating on them and at 812whp and 740wtq when its above 70 degrees out I hook no problem. Sometimes first might spin a little or the shift into second when I release the clutch but that's all.
    94' Single Turbo 6 Speed

I'm not serious
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by agh188905 View Post
    Do you get any wobble with those?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by daviddi92 View Post
    I have a 17x11.5 rear wheel with 315/35/17 R888. I properly warm my tires up before beating on them and at 812whp and 740wtq when its above 70 degrees out I hook no problem. Sometimes first might spin a little or the shift into second when I release the clutch but that's all.
    What are you running for suspension?

Edited.
    Last edited by MR2Supra1; 03-28-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Got my information wrong.

SupraForums Member
    The R888R is an R compound tire, but not the standard R888... and I am saying a 265 width tire should spin like crazy on a true 600whp car unless you have a TON of sidewall and some super sticky rubber. So I am doubting those power figures.

Sorry bro, you're mistaken - the r888 has always been an R comp tire. And the car in question was on a Precision 67 at 18 psi, which as evidenced by hundreds of examples over the last decade, is a 600 whp car.

i think something that needs to be mentioned is what are your plans with the car? when i'm dig racing i run my hoosier qtp, roll racing i have a set of toyo tq and old school mt drag radials, then have a set of street tires for twisty roads and track days i think hankook rs3 are on there now. one tire can't do it all. if you're manual trans and want to drag race any tire besides a bia's ply is a waist of time ect......
    89 supra turbo 2jz na-t, hx35 @20psi 476whp/473wtq
    now s364.5 661whp/609wtq @28psi
    90 toyota pickup with 7mgte/r154 totaled :(

Roll racing and daily driving for the r888’s is what I’m looking for.

NiSmO [email protected] supergoji's Avatar
    what's the alignment for street/mountain roads?
    Quote Originally Posted by OOBE View Post
    the shop power fucked you at 140 mph too :D
    Quote Originally Posted by x X CLoud X x View Post
    why the Hell is there a FUCKN SAILOR MOON ON A SUPRA!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLB View Post
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
    hell, he has a better chance of getting gov't funding to build the playboy mansion into an orbital launch vehicle to set a new record of nonstop consecutive orbital blowjobs from playboy playmates.
    94 Alpine Silver Supra TT 6spd ( for sale) https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=234504432
    91 Cherry Red Pearl Z32 TT 6spd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in