Rear Tires Vs HP - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear Tires Vs HP

Quote Originally Posted by agh188905 View Post
    What are you running for suspension?
    I have Stance Coilovers with Lance Alignment. Everything else is stock suspension wise.
    94' Single Turbo 6 Speed

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Bush View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2Supra1 View Post
    The R888R is an R compound tire, but not the standard R888... and I am saying a 265 width tire should spin like crazy on a true 600whp car unless you have a TON of sidewall and some super sticky rubber. So I am doubting those power figures.

Sorry bro, you're mistaken - the r888 has always been an R comp tire. And the car in question was on a Precision 67 at 18 psi, which as evidenced by hundreds of examples over the last decade, is a 600 whp car.
    Yeah you're right. Edited my post because I realized I was wrong. I was assuming Toyos followed the same naming convention as Nittos where in a NT555 vs. NT555R, only the 555Rs were R compound. I noticed a night and day difference between the NT555s and NT05Rs on my firebird. Looks like I need to get a Lance alignment and make sure the tires are warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    No - Lance W the super OG MK4 owner from the 90's that spent a lot of time getting an ideal alignment sorted out.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/lance_alignment/index.html

Listing 'tuners' in S. FL reads like a book of baby names, anyway.
    Would that rear toe angle work with 295s?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

When comparing different sizes of the same tire, and why one guy's 265's outhooked another guy's 315's, keep in mind the age of the tire.

I run M/T drag radials, which hook outstanding all the way down to 30-40 deg when new. But now that the tires are 5 years old, I spin all the time, and the tires feel hard. So over time I estimate I lost a good 30% of the traction the tire had when new.

Al
    94TT Auto, 6466
    [email protected] 27 psi 4/16/16
    Previous setup: HKS Twin 2835's
    [email protected] 32 psi, 10/29/06

Previous car: 90 Talon AWD, 5 spd, FP Red (60-1)
    [email protected] built motor, 28 psi, Sept 2000

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2Supra1 View Post
    Yeah you're right. Edited my post because I realized I was wrong. I was assuming Toyos followed the same naming convention as Nittos where in a NT555 vs. NT555R, only the 555Rs were R compound. I noticed a night and day difference between the NT555s and NT05Rs on my firebird. Looks like I need to get a Lance alignment and make sure the tires are warm.
    All good bro.

Quote Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
    When comparing different sizes of the same tire, and why one guy's 265's outhooked another guy's 315's, keep in mind the age of the tire.

I run M/T drag radials, which hook outstanding all the way down to 30-40 deg when new. But now that the tires are 5 years old, I spin all the time, and the tires feel hard. So over time I estimate I lost a good 30% of the traction the tire had when new.

Al
    This is an excellent point. R888's heat cycle after a while, and to my understanding, their grip changes quite a bit.
    Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else. Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving. The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
    - Adrian Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by supergoji View Post
    what's the alignment for street/mountain roads?
    Lance settings are ideal for that. He was a road racer/track day guru and those settings were the ideal combo of steering feel, stability, traction, and tire longevity.

Make sure your alignment tech sees both adjustable bolts in the front LCA's - a lot of folks have trouble getting to Lance spec and usually that's because the alignment tech is only adjusting the rear bolts on the front LCA's.

Would that rear toe angle work with 295s?
    Absolutely. The rear toe settings are the easiest part to get out of the Lance alignment and it does wonders for straightline traction and rear tire life on wider tires like 295/305/315's.

If you're persistently having wheelspin issues under power even after the Lance alignment, minimize the negative camber settings on the rear. As I explained earlier, lowering the MKIV leads to aggressive negative camber values under weight transfer/acceleration, which in turn rolls the tires off of their contact patches.
    A lot of the sudden improvements in straightline traction by going to E/T streets etc is all because of the additional sidewall flex that allows the tire to keep a good contact patch even with the negative camber. A lot of old school drag records were set with stock ride height in the rear or even a little higher than stock which didn't just help clear 28in drag tires, but also mitigated the excessive negative camber issue.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

SupraForums Member
    Hello all, been a member on here for awhile but finally just bought my first mkiv Supra.
    My car is a 1993 single turbo with plans of running 800hp+.

Ive owned/driven many turbo cars with high HP but want to know what you are getting for traction with your current power and tire setup.

I an trying to get a gauge of when a tire like a R888 is not longer enough grip and a more agressive tire with softer sidewall is needed. I’m about to buy wheels for my car and I am trying to decide on either an 18” wheel or drag pack setup.

Ive combed through the forum but cant find much on current setups, also just wanted to take the opportunity to get active on the forum again.

OP,

there are many variables at work, but just to give you a data point, when I was running 315/30 r888's at ~1000 whp through a 6-spd and 7275, I'd get spin through first, second and top of third, none in 4th. car was lowered about an inch on Penske coilovers and rear camber is 0.

I run 305/35/18 R888R in 94 single turbo w/T56 6speed MKIV making 820whp. Car hooks second on the street. Prior to R888R I was testing MT ET STreet 305/35/18 for three weeks and they would spin second if I did not heat them up first.
    Before testing MT ET I was on 275/35/19 Nitto NT05 on a good day I could hook third. I’m in sound Texas and our roads are made of asphalt.
    I don’t do much from a dig in the car that’s why my comments are regarding Second gear.
    I don’t have traction control hooked up and I don’t have boost my gear or speed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in