Was It Wise For Toyota To Collab With BMW? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Was It Wise For Toyota To Collab With BMW?

Gents, I've been dwelling on a few thoughts lately and thankfully my bouts of insomnia give me LOTS of time to dwell.

No amount of protest will change the 2020 MK5, and it's here. Whether it's here to stay and successful despite its overwhelming flaws, whether or not it becomes a good tuning platform, etc all remains to be seen.

There's a firestorm of content and discussion and other stuff involving the MK5 and Supraforums is positioned well to be part of that - except for our (quite justified) sour attitude toward the car that immediately polarizes anyone that comes here with a curious or excited attitude toward the MK5.
    In all reality the 2020 MKV is a part of Supraforums longtime survival, whether we like it or not. Our benefactors here keep the lights on and the servers up because of traffic and advertising revenue and that comes from traffic.
    So threads like this, the MK5 Supra section, and other discussion good or bad about the MK5 just might make or break the long-term survival of Supraforums.

It's not the car I wanted the MK5 to be. I daresay that it's not the car that any long-time Supra enthusiast wanted the car to be. But it's part of the family now, German warts and all.

I'm not going to change my mind about it on these factors alone - but in the self-interest of keeping Supraforums as a viable resource for years to come, we should be more welcoming of MK5 discussion, threads and discussion prompts. I don't need an IP address to be pretty freakin' sure that 'Toyota Supra News' is an individual employed by our benefactors and is posting content to drive traffic and get picked up by search engines.

Traffic is a good thing. Discussion prompts are a good thing. As skeptical as I am, as deeply heartbroken and bothered as I am, I am still curious what the MK5 will do once it's in the wild and in the hands of tuners. BMW's have a hell of a reliability problem between poor component design and rushed development cycles. I've lived and worked on the results and sworn at them up and down.
    But if any one company on the planet could un-fuck BMW's issues in those regards, it's Toyota. I believe we can all agree on that.

So I'm hoping against all reason that maybe, just maybe Toyota delivered in some capacity and the long-term results won't be as ugly as we fear. But that remains to be seen, and as that's discovered there's going to be a LOT to discuss. I'd like that discussion and content to be here on Supraforums.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

i love coming in to work to read these responses from everyone on here and to see absolutely no response from the OP. Its quite amusing and everyone brings up so many valid points.
    Allen Castillo
    Elmhurst Toyota Parts
    COMMONLY REQUESTED PART NUMBERS LINK
    ONLINE ORDERING NOW AVAILABLE HERE PRICING IS SLIGHTLY CHEAPER
    Out of town:
    Mon-Fri 10:30AM - 8:00PM
    SAT 7:30AM - 3:00PM
    www.equnit.com FOR ALL YOUR CUSTOM BAG AND BACKPACK NEEDS
    http://www.mastermindna.com FOR ALL YOUR HARD TO FIND JDM PARTS, WHEELS AND AERO NEEDS
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by KenHenderson View Post
    Take a look at the pic below and tell me what's wrong with it:

Ken.
    I'm probably overthinking it but Nobua-san (The one who designed the car) is shunned all the way in the back.

I'll say this again, if Toyota really wanted to maintain the I6, they should have contracted BMW/Magna for the only the long block and Getrag 6 speed. The outcome of trying to squish the FT-1 on a Z4 roadster frame is a disaster.
    ​1993.5 Toyota Supra TT 6spd-Black
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad -Super White
    2006 Porsche 911 Carrera S-Carrara White
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S ABS-Arctic White

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

keep livin man, L I V I N Casey James's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    Gents, I've been dwelling on a few thoughts lately and thankfully my bouts of insomnia give me LOTS of time to dwell.

No amount of protest will change the 2020 MK5, and it's here. Whether it's here to stay and successful despite its overwhelming flaws, whether or not it becomes a good tuning platform, etc all remains to be seen.

There's a firestorm of content and discussion and other stuff involving the MK5 and Supraforums is positioned well to be part of that - except for our (quite justified) sour attitude toward the car that immediately polarizes anyone that comes here with a curious or excited attitude toward the MK5.
    In all reality the 2020 MKV is a part of Supraforums longtime survival, whether we like it or not. Our benefactors here keep the lights on and the servers up because of traffic and advertising revenue and that comes from traffic.
    So threads like this, the MK5 Supra section, and other discussion good or bad about the MK5 just might make or break the long-term survival of Supraforums.

It's not the car I wanted the MK5 to be. I daresay that it's not the car that any long-time Supra enthusiast wanted the car to be. But it's part of the family now, German warts and all.

I'm not going to change my mind about it on these factors alone - but in the self-interest of keeping Supraforums as a viable resource for years to come, we should be more welcoming of MK5 discussion, threads and discussion prompts. I don't need an IP address to be pretty freakin' sure that 'Toyota Supra News' is an individual employed by our benefactors and is posting content to drive traffic and get picked up by search engines.

Traffic is a good thing. Discussion prompts are a good thing. As skeptical as I am, as deeply heartbroken and bothered as I am, I am still curious what the MK5 will do once it's in the wild and in the hands of tuners. BMW's have a hell of a reliability problem between poor component design and rushed development cycles. I've lived and worked on the results and sworn at them up and down.
    But if any one company on the planet could un-fuck BMW's issues in those regards, it's Toyota. I believe we can all agree on that.

So I'm hoping against all reason that maybe, just maybe Toyota delivered in some capacity and the long-term results won't be as ugly as we fear. But that remains to be seen, and as that's discovered there's going to be a LOT to discuss. I'd like that discussion and content to be here on Supraforums.

Dang Jeff...when did you get so mature? Haha j/k!
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

2 Timothy 4:7-8

Quote Originally Posted by Casey James View Post
    Dang Jeff...when did you get so mature? Haha j/k!
    I've had to be a grown-ass man at work for some time now, with SF being one of my few outlets... Shit maybe I am growing up. Goddamnit. Fuck!

lol

Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    ^^^ the pic shows 3 Supra owners....
    OMG that made me laugh out loud........thanks
    Last edited by Crocket; 03-29-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by KenHenderson View Post
    (snip)
    Take a look at the pic below and tell me what's wrong with it:

Ken.
    I meant to respond to this earlier - it's easy to see, actually.

There are 10 too many people wearing BMW jackets, and there's a Toyota badge on that BMW they're standing around.

Very Senior Member Silver Supra's Avatar
    I'm thinking about just ignoring threads started by some users.
    Nothing to see - move along.
    '94 T Auto Silver Bullet | 471 rwhp at 15.5 psi |

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in