Anybody have their 7M block boiled? Can't get dipstick tube out and manual is silent.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody have their 7M block boiled? Can't get dipstick tube out and manual is silent.

SupraForums Member

Anybody have their 7M block boiled? Can't get dipstick tube out and manual is silent.

So, I'm rebuilding the original block with bearings and rings but I wanted to get it boiled/cleaned out at a machine shop. The dipstick tube seems to have a hexagonal fitting of some sort over the tube as if it unscrews but I don't want to damage anything if its a pressed factory fit. The factory manual is silent - doesn't show it coming out or anything. I'm OK leaving it in, but it's kinda vulnerable to a shop bending it or similar. I'd also like to know if there's an O ring in there that sometimes this hot process will destroy.

While I have your attention (heh), I'm also planning to remove the hex plugs on the ends of a long oil gallery that seems to run along the block on the right side of the cylinders. There's a bright plug in the front of the block and the rear. Anyone else removed these, and again know if there's a copper seal or other item I'll have to find a new one?

Thanks. Excited that this engine has not run for 19 years and I'm going to get her back to factory spec over the next few months.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Buddy thought I had a NA NashMan's Avatar
    dead blow hammer and it will pop out it's pressed in

that or use a reg hammer and a chunk of aluminum\brass to use as a buffer
    92 Toyota Supra 7M-GTE pump fuel 585 rwhp/540 torq on a stock block

89 Toyota pickup exo/sas/lifted/35's/lockers

RIP.....86.5 Toyota Supra High comp 9.3.1 7mgte, 57ct Light weight 2980 pounds 347hp 398turq @ 11 psi

SupraForums Member
    Thanks - so what's with the hex fitting down near the block end? It's a tube over the dipstick tube. Is that a separate piece that's used to manipulate the dipstick as it's pressed in or something?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I believe it is just so that you can turn the dipstick tube to free it up so that it can be popped out.

SupraForums Member
    Thanks. Keep the input coming. I don't want to mess with it if there's potential to create an oil leak that can't be accessed once the engine's back in the frame. Hoping to hear from someone who's actually removed it or I'm tempted to leave it in place.

Pretty sure the dip stick pops out and in.....i popped my out and it has always been looses since then,

block of wood and a mini sledge has always got them out for me!

if it's really stubborn lightly heat the block around it...
    89 supra turbo 2jz na-t, hx35 @20psi 476whp/473wtq
    now s364.5 661whp/609wtq @28psi
    90 toyota pickup with 7mgte/r154 totaled :(

SupraForums Member
    SupraCooled's comment is exactly what I want to avoid. So it may be a factory pressed fit that is difficult to get the tube back in, eh? I've pulled a half dozen and many are held in with a single bolt that holds pressure on a replaceable O ring. Those are easy to replace and renew the o ring for a no leak seal. It continues to sound like this one is NOT that setup and may create a wobbly dipstick tube or worse a leak. I think I"ll leave it in place for the cleaning and ask the shop to be mindful of the tube. Or better yet I'll just spend an hour cleaning it to be sure that thing's not disturbed. It's a nice afternoon here so perhaps pride of doing it all myself will kick in and I'll hand scrub the block.

SupraForums Member
    Got the block cleaned up inside and out with a few cans of foamy engine degreaser, some scrubbing, picks and a wire brush, then the pressure washer. Left the dipstick in place. Ready for me to hone it tomorrow. Excited - this is the official "turnaround" where first the engine, then the car start to go back together!

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
    SupraCooled's comment is exactly what I want to avoid. So it may be a factory pressed fit that is difficult to get the tube back in, eh? I've pulled a half dozen and many are held in with a single bolt that holds pressure on a replaceable O ring. Those are easy to replace and renew the o ring for a no leak seal. It continues to sound like this one is NOT that setup and may create a wobbly dipstick tube or worse a leak. I think I"ll leave it in place for the cleaning and ask the shop to be mindful of the tube. Or better yet I'll just spend an hour cleaning it to be sure that thing's not disturbed. It's a nice afternoon here so perhaps pride of doing it all myself will kick in and I'll hand scrub the block.
    Well, i had swapped a 87 engine in my 1989 and I don’t think the old block had a dipstick so I had to reuse a old one. Maybe that is why it is loose, a 1989 dipstick in a 1987 engine.

Anyways no leaks there. I always wondered if air was getting sucked in there there is positive crankcase venalation (PCV)

SupraForums Member
    Perhaps pull it back out and put a thin smear of high temp RTV on the dipstick and the opening and reinsert. Would be surprised if there is NOT air seeping in down there. Don't overdo it, thin films on each end/surface.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in