Rare Part?? A Supra story

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rare Part?? A Supra story

Custom Part! A Supra story

5.jpg

Hey guys,

So my grandpa worked at a dealership years ago. Some guy came in and sold his MK3 to the dealership. He was a doctor who had bought it for his wife, but she didn't want to learn how to drive stick (lol). So my grandpa bought it from the dealership and with it came this towing hitch. Apparently the doctor had it custom made so he could tow around his golf cart.
    Last edited by Supra_Spooler; 03-29-2019 at 08:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Buddy thought I had a NA NashMan's Avatar
    never seen that before
    92 Toyota Supra 7M-GTE pump fuel 585 rwhp/540 torq on a stock block

89 Toyota pickup exo/sas/lifted/35's/lockers

RIP.....86.5 Toyota Supra High comp 9.3.1 7mgte, 57ct Light weight 2980 pounds 347hp 398turq @ 11 psi

SupraForums Member
    IMO...I don't catalog that part as rare since it is aftermarket and probably locally built. Rare to me is if Toyota or a well-known aftermarket company ever made to sell to the masses in limited quantities and not many left in the market.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by El AR-15 View Post
    IMO...I don't catalog that part as rare since it is aftermarket and probably locally built. Rare to me is if Toyota or a well-known aftermarket company ever made to sell to the masses in limited quantities and not many left in the market.
    Yeah fair point, I should've named it custom part and not "rare". Still interesting though lol.
    Last edited by Supra_Spooler; 03-29-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Typos

It'd be fun to see how much a MK3 could tow - I suspect the stock suspension would be the limiting factor, not power or powertrain parts!
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

The Supra is rated at 2,000 total weight, 200lbs down on the tongue......get your rear struts fixed so you donít bounce around.....

I love towing my Supra...auto a340e w/ 4.30 gears will tow anything......

That hitch is custom.....i bought my hitch off auto zone shelf for $50, you do have to remve bumper and cut the bumper to get it to fit.

I don't have anything to tow at the moment, but when I do I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Ps: Anybody know how to edit thread titles?

SupraForums Member
    I was searching for one for a little while, just to pull my jetski. Ended up deciding against it because I didn't want to deal with a 5 speed on a boat ramp. So I bought a hitch for my SC instead.

87-92 camrys use the same (or similar) hitch. Some are flat bar as pictured, others are receivers. Never could find one in a scrap yard but they're only ~$100 online. As was said above, bumper modification is necessary.

Grandpa's old weekend warrior:
    1989 Supra: 7M-GTE White package, blue leather, targa, original 100k+ HG.
    Dropped on B&G's, Lex/550 and a 60-1, intercooler and piping.

FWIW, I towed my father's 1971 Beetle from MD to PA with a Reese hitch and tow bar.

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself. Think for yourself. Question authority. (Timothy Leary)

Looks like dreck. Even though the owners manual mentions towing, it's totally out of character for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Supra_Spooler View Post
    5.jpg

Hey guys,

So my grandpa worked at a dealership years ago. Some guy came in and sold his MK3 to the dealership. He was a doctor who had bought it for his wife, but she didn't want to learn how to drive stick (lol). So my grandpa bought it from the dealership and with it came this towing hitch. Apparently the doctor had it custom made so he could tow around his golf cart.
    Same guy?

​1993.5 Toyota Supra TT 6spd-Black
    2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad -Super White
    2006 Porsche 911 Carrera S-Carrara White
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S ABS-Arctic White

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in