Swapping 87 Turbo stick into 89 Turbo auto

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swapping 87 Turbo stick into 89 Turbo auto

Swapping 87 Turbo stick into 89 Turbo auto

So I’ve had my 89 auto for about 10 years done some upgrades to it, now I’ve come across another Supra. An 87 Turbo stick I want to swap transmissions but this would be my first transmission swap. My plans are to put all the 87 stick shift components into my 89 auto & put all my 89 auto transmission components into my 87 where do I start and how do I go about this if anyone can give me the break down I would greatly appreciate it been searching for a while and haven’t seen any thread like this so if someone has done it or looking to get the job done the help is needed
    Attached Images
    HAF

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    you should be able to find a lot of info about putting a manual in an auto chassis car (common swap)

but moving that a340 auto into a manual chassis, you will not find much.

first thought is, are these both yellow plug engine wire harness cars ? if so you may be able to move the ecu / auto trans wiring over to that manual car. sounds like a pain

why not just sell the auto OR cannibalize the manual car. take the parts you need (its a lot of them...) and then part out the car / sell it as a roller. your talking about a lot of time / swapping / figuring things out (potentially for the auto in the manual). is it worth it when the end result is 2 mk3 in your driveway, one manual one auto, just like when you started.
    1986.5 Supra NA-T Targa [email protected] BPU / MAFT-Pro sd
    2001 OG Prius
    2007.5 2500HD GMC 6.0 gas
    2011 Prius

gas, grass or ass - nobody rides for free

Yea I hear you I mean I want both cars... the 87 stick I jus got if swap is done, its my wife’s car & this is why I’d like to do the swap mine I’ve had for 10 years done a lot of work to but it’s auto... & I’ve had ppl tell me jus take everything you did off of your car & throw it in that car to it’ll be worth the time I’m jus trying to figure out how to do it I’ll check if they are the same plugs but someone did tell me that the 87 most likely (grey) plug while the 89 would be (yellow) I believe or vise versa that’s for replying

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

The harnesses are different between auto and manual because the auto has an ECU in the passenger kick panel. That also means a few more connections on the tranny itself. It would be a pretty big job to swap the dash harness out for an auto. You could just wire up the ECT yourself. Not impossible, but will be some work.

look for ECT computer on this page to see the location

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...px?S=Main&P=24

Right on! I appreciate it man yea I been trying to do a lil homework with it myself but with you guys info I’m getting the help I need greatly appreciate it! So I’ll need to swap dash harnesses or I can keep them & jus wire ect along with the rest of the auto tranny wires?

I did a r154 swap in my original automatic 87 Supra. The only wiring you need to do are just the two wires for the reverse switch(for the reverse lights) and you will need to make a jumper to bypass the automatic neutral safety switch. Both of these items are on the plugs going to the transmission by the auto dipstick. You do not need to do anything to the wiring on the inside of the Supra.

You also need a manual driveshaft because the automatic driveshaft has a slightly different length and a lower speedometer cable from a manual transmission so keep those parts in mind.
    87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

2019 Updated Build Thread - https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...ore&highlight=

Thank I appreciate it I’m goin to be doing the swap after the 24 of this month just trying to get as many thoughts on this project as I can can. And again I appreciate you all helping me out this is really gunna help me out

Swapping the dash harness would be hell. I suggest not going that route and just wiring up the ECT with a separate homemade harness.

The Auto to R154 swap presents no major electrical challenges as playaa says. But the R154 to Auto swap is electrically much harder and you may be the first to do it. If you're not comfortable with doing a bunch of wiring you may need to find someone who can help. Some of the controls you could skip like the the overdrive and sport/econ mode switches and indicators

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=106

Yea I was thinking swapping the dash harnesses would be hectic smh but you said wire the ect up, would that be taking the computer from the passenger side kick panel and wiring that up direct to the a340 tranny? And will that manual ecu have any problems with the auto tranny? Thanks for commenting on here much appreciated

Your dash harness is specific to what the car is originally a 5spped or auto, abs, or PPS. A 1989 dash harness “might not” be plug and play in a 1987. And vice versa. Could be a issue.

if your 1989 has ABS and/or PPS, the 1989 tranny will plug ok into 1987 engine harness but it will not work in the dash harness (your O/d light will blink)(speed sensor 2 not reading)(abs computer not installed)

If your 1987 engine does not have abs or PPS and you put it into your 1989 with Abs or PPS, you will not have ABS and your PPS will not work. (PPS might be fixable by running it off SP1, speed sensor 1, the one on the speedometer driven dash.)

Non-abs cars have a extra plug on engine harness that does not plug into anything. ABS cars have every plug functional. Speed sensor 2 run into abs computer, hence different wiring for dash harness.

Your not swapping engines, but a little more info. Your 1987 engine harness is different from your 1989 harness. No matter if you have a 1989 or 1987 There is no difference in “engine harness” whether your auto or 5speed, but pre-1989 and 1989+ are not interchangeable as far as “engine harness”. There real difference is dash harness and tranny harness, it all depends if it is ABS-PPS or not, and i imagine whether it is a pre-89 or not.

By the way, if your putting a ABS auto tranny in non-abs body harness, might be a reliability issue. there is always a extra “engine harness” plug not plugged into anything in glovebox, as well as a plug not plug in near the bundle of engine-tranny connectors, on all non-abs cars. Those “engine harness” plugs are for ABS, and if the dash harness is not ABS and there is no ABS computer, big problem with (SP2), no signal+o/d light blinks!!!!!And if your speedometer cable breaks, (SP1), the car will not shift.

Sp1 is out and sp2 is out, no shift, 1st and reverse do work tho.

https://www.supraforums.com/forum/ar.../t-627143.html
    https://www.supraforums.com/forum/ar.../t-626935.html
    https://www.supraforums.com/forum/ar.../t-933737.html
    https://www.supraforums.com/forum/ar.../t-627001.html

BTW i never got the ABS computer addition to work. I just fixed the speedo and lived with the blinking light. Playing with fire trying to shift off a speedo cable, it can break.

Recap-

1989 engine harness different from 1987.(not a issue, not swapping motors)

1989 auto harness same as 1987 (plug and play baby!!!, not sure about the ABS-PPS wiring tho)

1989 dash harness different from 1987 (not a easy swap, so how do you wire abs computer???!!!)

1989 PPS/ABS dash harness different from 1989 non-abs/PPS (does a pre-89 abs PPS-abs harness even exist?, must wire up auto computer manually.

1989 PPS/ABS tranny harness has 1 extra connector compared to non-abs

1987 5 speed harness same a 1989. (Plug and play, Not sure about the ABS-PPS wiring tho, if your 1989 tranny has 4 connectors and your 1987 engine only has 3, its not plug and play for abs-PPS-sp2.)

1989 abs/PPS engine harness same as non-abs(2 empty plugs on non-abs is stock/OEM, every thing is plugged in on a ABS-PPS. The non-ABS cars empty plugs are found in 1 in glovebox and 1 in tranny-engine hookups.

1987 5-speed dash harness does not have auto computer or wiring for it. Not commonly done, lack of information, not a direct swap with 1989 dash harness.

Also, to avoid the abs tranny in a non-abs car issue of a “blinking o/d light/ SP2 sensor out”, you can swap tailshafts on the auto to a proper one that does not have abs.

GOOOOOOD LUUUUCKKK
    Last edited by SupraCooled; 04-08-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Ok so tomorrow I’ll check out a few things on the cars see if there pre 89 or post 89 etc seems like I’m gunna be doing a lot of thinking before diving into this project

SupraForums Member
    yes think long and hard before you start. from the outside looking in, I can't see how this is a good investment of your time OP ...

specifically: moving an auto into a car that was born with a r154...

maybe you can buy and auto NA supra and swap the turbo motor over into it (and sell the turbo shell after you strip it)

Hell you could swap a w58 in that car your stealing the r154 from.

you are prob aware of this, but used parts off these cars are turning into a gold mine. last parts supra I bought for $500 returned 3x is money via selling parts and shell, left me and my personal parts collection with a spare motor/rims/ etc etc

if your going to go balls deep, why not get a 3rd car / explore options a bit more.

**and I should add take my comments with a grain of salt man, Im just throwing out a devils advocate opposite opinion. people watching from the outside on the last 10 years with my car would think I am nuts so there is that haha
    Last edited by madisonMK3; 04-09-2019 at 06:38 AM.

So I went to the nearest Toyota dealer near me and the guy I was speaking to couldn’t tell me if I had a post 89 or pre 89 (auto car)... what I did find out tho on my vin it’s 5/89 but when they read my vin through Toyota it said 6/10/1989 that's production date I still don’t no if it’s pre or post, didn’t have time to look at my plugs either to tell if there Grey or Yellow if feel they may be yellow I’ll try to get some time tomorrow to check that out

Another route I was thinking was if anyone on here has a 87 turbo dash & engine harness for my swap I would be glad to buy it off of you so if you no anyone let me no ASAP! I would greatly appreciate it! 87 “Auto” engine & dash harness!!!!!
    Last edited by MB 2Solid; 04-09-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Pretty sure you can give Toyota your vin, check what Part number your dash harness or engine harness is, then check what years that part is good for.....

Example, dash harness is part number ##### and fits years 87-88 for North American supras. You can use “caps” database as well if you know you dash harness part number,,,,

It does take a smart person behind the Toyota parts counter to figure it out,.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraCooled View Post
    The folowing is based on a 1989.08 Toyota Supra.

dash harnass with out abs:
    82411-1b030

dash harnass with abs:
    82411-1b040

Cowl Harness with PPS: (maybe he told me wrong)
    82131-100

Cowl harness with PPS:
    82131-140

Cowl harness with ABS/PPS:
    82131-1d150

Cowl Harness with AUTO-ABS:
    82131-1d110
    I think august was redesign month......

Does your 1989 have the same steering wheel as your 1987? If yes, your 1989 is pre- and has same plugs as 88-87. Anyways, you can always pull your dash and look at part number on wiring and use “caps” or call dealer to see what years they fit.

Edit:

And auto vs 5-speed, I just remembered, cowl harness differs as well (wires up auto computer) just like the dash is different (wires up speed combo meter o/d light and ECT light).

And abs VS non ABS - And to throw another curve ball, abs and non-abs body harness, cowl harness, and dash harness will be different as it wires up the front ABS-sensors, ABS computer, and ABS light on dash if equipped.

Another curve.....PPS might have its own Dash and cowl harness that is different, as it wires up the PPS circuits..
    SR_090.gif
    Last edited by SupraCooled; 04-12-2019 at 09:02 PM.

S/O to my friend Len Dawg played a major part in helping me with this swap! Okay so finish the swap, 87 (stick) to 89 auto piece of cake only thing I haven’t done was wire up reverse lights any knowledge of that would be helpful. Now on to the 89’s auto into the 87... trannys in, one plug connected, grabbed my ect computer (from my 89) put that in place as well & the rest I’m feeling is just a wire job... side note found out my 89 auto is grey plug my 87 stick Is yellow plug so I now know I’ll need dash harness along with a ecu to go with that I’ll keep an update of the progress...
    Last edited by MB 2Solid; 04-19-2019 at 11:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in