Oil pan has two threaded holes - one drain plus one up high on the side?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil pan has two threaded holes - one drain plus one up high on the side?

SupraForums Member

Oil pan has two threaded holes - one drain plus one up high on the side?

My 7MGE (non turbo) 1988 oil pan has an extra drain like hole up high on the side. It looks professionally/factory done. Is this normal and anybody know what the purpose is? Mine is currently in the front hallway drying a beautiful satin black at the moment. Kind of looks like what I'd expect if some models had an oil level sensor in the pan.

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Oil cooler return
    91 Black 7mge auto

SupraForums Member
    Ah for turbo models, eh? Thanks. I'll need to get a fresh seal for that plug for reassembly and will remember to ask for it at the auto parts store.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

If you rattle can painted it, you should do more than let it air dry.
    Modern spray can paints suck due to 'green earth' restrictions on solvents used.
    The only way I can get the crap to stand up is to bake the parts after they feel dry.
    250-300 degrees in an oven works, just ventilate the house when you do.

SupraForums Member
    Good tip. So I spent WAY too much time prepping the pan as the car has sat undisturbed for 19 years. So the pan had some internal corrosion here and there and the type of odd residue artifacts in it that most mortals never see. It has sat empty as the engine had likely been parked for a HG issue and never worked on, but someone drained the oil - likely confirming the diagnosis way back 19 years ago - and then it sat until I showed up in Seattle with my trailer. So that weird coffee ground looking stuff, and some light rust in patches high up. I powerwashed it, then used Naval Jelly on the inside (clean as a whistle), then wire brushed the outside. Then two cans of 3M brake cleaner to get it totally, sanitary clean.

As I was about to paint it with a black outdoor rattle can from my shelf, I recalled that I also wanted to paint the engine block black and would need a can of the right paint anyhow, so why take a chance it would not hold up on the pan? Searched for a video I'd watched to see what paints hold up on engines. Off to NAPA for a can of Duplicolor Engine Paint with Ceramic in low gloss black and the primer for this paint line. It's good to 500 degrees which neither a block nor oil pain should even get near. I primed and painted it in the garage and painstakingly walked it into the house to hang near a heater for each 10 minute cycle between coats. It looks literally brand new. The paint dried in less than an hour to a very hard state. No "fresh painted feel" at all and fingernail taps are a hard clack with no dent. So next time give this stuff a try. The other product I'd have used is a line POR had for engine paints but that video was a few years old and I could not find it on shelves.

It seems different from the rattle cans for all purpose jobs and I agree on the ludicrous "green" requirements downgrading every product lately. Do these morons ever stop to think that I have to paint my mailbox every 2 years now, versus every 15? And when I accidentally purchase brake cleaner on sale and find it's the "green - for sale in California" version versus the "Not for sale in California" version, I have to use about 1/3 more to clean things. Do you California folks know that outside your state are a ton of excellent products you can't have and that everything from dishsoap to bullets are better "out here" - and cheaper? Ludicrous. Are we REALLY reducing total pollution by using significantly more of every product to do the same job? Can you prove it or was that just a pipe dream of some Social Studies degreed administrator at the EPA who doesn't know science from his own behind? Tired of that crap, and how the unelected administrative minions are having a larger affect on our daily lives than the elected officials we put in office. OK off the soapbox...
    Last edited by IdahoDoug; 04-09-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Good rant. But I'll counter with this. I lived in Los Angeles during the late 80's to present. Back then the air was brown and you could not see more than a mile most days. Fast forward to now and the smog is gone, I can see the mountains any day of the year, and everything smells a whole lot nicer. So yeah, I'll take my CARB compliant products any day.

SupraForums Member
    I also lived in LA from the mid 80s to the early 90s and I think you're overstating the conditions at that time. I'd have been keenly aware of air quality that bad as I was a competitive cyclist and triathlete. Here's an article about LA setting an 87 day poor air quality record from September 2018 - 6 months ago. https://weather.com/health/news/2018...quality-record So, I guess all the heavy handed and costly regulations are actually NOT working. Meaning you're getting the worst of all worlds - paying daily for inconclusive and inconsistent results on your air quality.

I get it - clean air is good. But the people making decisions are hammering business with laws that should be based on science. Instead, they're often simply politically connected administrators enjoying $170,000 salaries and company hybrids who are pushing their unscientific beliefs onto the residents of California. Look them up yourself on California governmental websites. Instead of seeing things like "PhD in Environmental Toxicology, these people have degrees in Anthropology and Social Studies. It's a travesty.

SupraForums Member
    Last edited by madisonMK3; 04-10-2019 at 09:08 PM.

SupraForums Member
    Winner! Hmmmmm (pulls on imaginary beard).......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in