Mk3 decisions..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mk3 decisions..

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    Have a dilemma, buddy of mine is selling a 20k mile is300 for a great deal to me. Got too many old/projects so have to rid my self of one if pick it up make this move.

Car 1 91 mk3 with 60k miles 7m gte very original very light mods.

Car 2 87 targa 2jz-gte upgraded twins which I’ve had for 20 years but it’s a rust holes in rear wheel wells and on one fender. Issue #2 is it will never pass inspection in Cali to be legal so very hard to register it here.

Car 3 86 hardtop NA which was bought for parts but was thinking of swapping everything from my 87 to and sending it for paint. This is a lot of work since gotta swap interior and mechanicals.

Car 4 98 sc300 has been my dd with 100k miles but I have a fully built engine and phr turbo kit I had planned for this car with a 3.4 NA-t VVTI.

Help me decide what direction yes first world problems but I’m near 40 and own all old cars I want instead of new cars that aren’t raw and feel good.

Option 1 continue with swap to 86 NA
    Option 2 steal engine and trans from 87 to swap into is300 eventually and part out 87.
    Option 3 steal engine and trans from 87 to sc300 part out 87
    Option 4 swap the 87’s 2jz to the 91 grey car who cares about too nice to mod. Make the is300 manual with the spare trans.

87 Canadian right (good paint)
    86 hard top right (terrible paint but great California shell)
    91 is Grey (too nice to swap imo was supposed to be the car for the swap)
    98 sc300 ( getting a stroked engine and lots of goodies but still stock could sell and try to sell the turbo kit but like this car more than is300)
    04 is300 nice little car makes about 320 whp on the super charger not fast but not bad
    Last edited by ZaZZn; 04-20-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    Eric W
    87 TT E85
    91 T 60k miles
    98 SC 300

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I'd swap the 2j into either the grey MKIII or the IS300. Both cars to me are beautiful. I love the MKIII, but the IS is probably more practical.
    1.5jz 640 RWHP, 606RWTQ

It really sounds like you want part out the 87 but I would go with option 1.
    Last edited by plaaya69; 04-22-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

2019 Updated Build Thread - https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...ore&highlight=

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

IS swaps are a shit show compared to any other native JZ swap. But an OBD-II SC300 is nearly as bad and poses the same complication for inspections, etc.

I say:
    Keep the 91 no matter what. That is a damn nice car.
    Sell the SC300 as-is in daily driver basically stock configuration.
    Move the IS to daily status and leave it the fuck alone.
    Stick the 3.4L 2JZ-GE VVTi planned for the SC300 into the clean 86.5 shell because racecar and enjoy it because racecar.
    Keep your OG 87 because 20 years is a long time and enjoy that car as you can.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    @wreckless, problem is the SC300 has like a 7500$ specific turbo kit I had PHR bulid for it which uses stock air box, has DP and midpipe and intercooler pipes/intercooler So I want to keep that

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    IS swaps are a shit show compared to any other native JZ swap. But an OBD-II SC300 is nearly as bad and poses the same complication for inspections, etc.

I say:
    Keep the 91 no matter what. That is a damn nice car.
    Sell the SC300 as-is in daily driver basically stock configuration.
    Move the IS to daily status and leave it the fuck alone.
    Stick the 3.4L 2JZ-GE VVTi planned for the SC300 into the clean 86.5 shell because racecar and enjoy it because racecar.
    Keep your OG 87 because 20 years is a long time and enjoy that car as you can.
    Everything he said, except keep the SC300 as your daily and just don't buy the IS.
    The SC is a much nicer car than an IS, especially a 98 with such low mileage.
    If the IS is such a good deal that you can't pass it up, buy it and flip it for some cash.
    It sounds like you enjoy your cars more than you would a "not fast but not bad" IS300.

Grandpa's old weekend warrior:
    1989 Supra: 7M-GTE White package, blue leather, targa, original 100k+ HG.
    Dropped on B&G's, Lex/550 and a 60-1, intercooler and piping.

SupraForums Member
    that sc300 (when built)....w its 3.4 stroker running a $7500 turbo setup does not sound like a DD to pile miles on

love the 91, thats a keeper for sure

rusty mk3 = part out (IMHO). unless there is emotional attachment and money is no option...

non-rusty mk3 = keep it if you have the room. i will only go up in value and be more rare as you sit on it

I could see the IS making sense. But I like me a lame ass 4 door for hauling the kid around etc. I would love to swap my dd prius for an IS but am too cheep to put the cash there
    to each their own and it really matters what works for you.

SupraForums Member
    definitely keep the 91, its a gem. Sounds like you have already made up your mind on the SC so the question is how attached are you to the 87. I 100% understand the emotional attachment so if it's there keep it and fix it when you can. Then the only decision is if you have room or a desire to sit on the 86 until you decide to sell it or do something with it. If you are not attached to the 87 or just feel its time then I say swap to the 86.

As for the IS, cool cars for a daily and having kids I 100% understand the appeal and practicality. They are pretty common and having been there I don't recommend building or modifying a daily.

Just simpler to have the daily and the racecars.....

92 HT 2JZvvt-i 561hp/501tq-- 89 Targa 7M 367hp/401tq
    @BoostRodeo BoostRodeo Garage

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    Sc300 will be a DD eventhough it has lots of money into it. It replaced my IS-F with something I wanted to bulid...

To be honest, the IS300 was available before I got the SC300, but he wanted too much money... 2 years later he wasn't able to sell it and now he's offering it a substantially reduced price but I already have the SC300 with all the parts. Although I think the IS300 is a better DD. ALso like the interior of the SC300 better it feels more quality.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Over 10 years on SF.... SupraOfDoom's Avatar
    dat grey one doe.
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Targa
    2007 Infiniti G35x 14.047 @ 98.89 MPH
    2012 G37S 6MT

--------------------------

SupraForums Member
    I think agree with wreckless the 91 is untouchable!

I would probably keep the 87 the way that it is and just got mod crazy, but I also think it would be cool to have a cherry stock and then one that you can do whatever to. Then just part out the 86, but that is also because the swap and paint sounds like a lot of work.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in