Power steering pump may be bad

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power steering pump may be bad

SupraForums Member

Power steering pump may be bad

Ok I think we may need to replace the power steering unit on the 87. It is making some noise. Should it have any play in rotation with the belt on.
    Question
    Is there a make I should or should not buy. Is remanufactured ok?
    There is a few types availble on first look. Is there anything else needed when replacing? Gasket for resiviour?
    Can we rebuild our original units?
    Thanks for help
    cars: 1985 Celica gts cab, 1987 Supra, 1990, Porsche 944S2 cab, 1997 BMW Z3.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I bought a CARDONE 215712 from RockAuto.com a long time ago, worked perfectly until someone took out the front end of my car!

Personally, I'd go with the ACDELCO 36P0587 if I were looking for one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1933beer View Post
    Should it have any play in rotation with the belt on.
    It's a pump, so you should be able to spin it somewhat freely without the belt on, but there shouldn't be much play otherwise. I would check it without the belt on.

Is there a make I should or should not buy. Is remanufactured ok?
    I liked my Cardone and ACDELCO makes good parts. I would stay away from unknown brands. Remanufactured is fine.

There is a few types availble on first look. Is there anything else needed when replacing? Gasket for resiviour?
    Can we rebuild our original units?
    The reservoir is attached with hoses, which should be replaced if they look bad. I think you can use generic hose, but I'm not sure what size.
    The original unit can be rebuilt, RockAuto.com sells the seal kit for $10-$13 and the bearing for $8 before shipping. I've never done the job, so I can't say how hard it is or if there are special tools needed.

SupraForums Member
    The seals and bearings are pretty easy to replace but if the vanes and rotor(the stuff that moves the fluid and builds pressure) are worn/scored you'd have to buy a reman.

The TSRM for the pump starts here: PS Pump rebuild

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like you need to tighten the belt? I use a prybar against the block and pushing while tightening the upper bolt. You may need to loosen the lower bolt to get it to swing. There is a tension spec but you need a tension gauge to measure it. Just reached down there (with the engine off and cold) and see if you can move the belt up-and-down too easily. It needs some resistance. I rebuilt my leaking power steering pump using a seal kit off of eBay. I checked the internal parts specs like vane length and width using a digital vernier caliper. It has performed well since the rebuild. Remember to use a proper puller To remove the drive pulley. Don't pry it off from the side. You'll just Bend and warp the shaft. wobble, wobble, wobble.

SupraForums Member
    Thanks for all the replies, I have looked closer and I am not sure it needs replaced. This was one part that was not replaced when we brought the car back to life so when my son said something it made sense. I hope to remove the belt Sunday and decide. There is a some knock at times when the car is cold. It is not the engine and it goes away when the car is warmed up. We have put over 3k on the car since we put the JDM engine in. The car ran good until we parked it in December.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in