MS3Pro Plug and Play ECU for 7M-GTE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MS3Pro Plug and Play ECU for 7M-GTE

MS3Pro Plug and Play ECU for 7M-GTE

Hi, I’m just curious if anyone used the MS3Pro Plug and Play ECU for the 7M-GTE from perfect tuning ? Just wanted some feedback on it .

https://perfecttuning.net/en/toyota/...5-92-7mge.html

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

That has been around for awhile and I have never heard of any complaints or real problems from other members who had it installed. I know as technology is constantly changing there may be better options out there today vs yesterday but I know I personally would never run one of those and only be locked into a 7mGTE or 1jz option only and certain years only also at that. It is convenient to have it plug n play but most of the time when you start to mod things and change things around, those type of ECU's get in the way vs a ECU that you can pin yourself or have a pigtail adapter you can modify.
    87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

2019 Updated Build Thread - https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...ore&highlight=

I can't think of a single good reason to spend money on a fucking Megasquirt.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    word.

In general,a plug and play stand alone is a challenge due to
    1. noisy pickup style toyota uses (2 wheels, 3 sensors)
    2. oem multiplex ignition
    3. ancient brittle wiring and sensors

even real companies with actual developed and supported products have issues with plug n play 7m
    bowling and grippo is that even a company ? (not really...)
    user experience will vary. yes some guys, somehow make them work very well
    a lot of guys nuke 5.3 ls motors with them.
    there is a reason most shops don't tune them

time vampire

signed, former ms user/fanboy

SupraForums Member
    While MegaSquirt has been around for a while now it's not nearly as prolific as the rest of the standalone EMS units. I would determine what tuner you will be using to tune your car and find out what they have the most experience with. Some won't touch MS.

And also this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post

Never mind ! I founded what I needed !! On a old posting I found . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    I have a Perfecttuning.net PNP 7M MS it was TRUELY PNP. I have a stock 7m-gte 100% bone stock on my 60k mile mk3, I unplugged the stock ECU and plugged in the MS ECU. Turned the key, and the car started up and idled just like the stock ecu, what even more crazy is I dind't even have a WB hooked up which is required for VE, also the MAP sensor wasn't even hooked up! Crazy, Sam tuned it so well that it works in the worse conditions on the base map

SupraForums Member
    of course it will be plug and play and run right out of the box. and it will have 0 drive-ability issues and come into boost with perfect afr. the tuning software will install and communicate on the first try - tuner studio / auto tune and veal will be the cats ass and tune your ve table perfect, and did I mention it ships with unicorns that fart gold dust?

if those are the expectations, I suspect you will be disappointed

I see the top of the line ms3 with expansion goes for under 800?? (prebuilt, with nice 1980's ham radio retro case)

if your going to live this dream I say be prepared go balls deep and build the harness, learn 100% about every thing and how its wired / etc. you will need this knowledge to setup the software, so it understands what is physically hooked to the module (ms3)

speaking of modules. hope your prepared to do firmware flashing on that ms3 box because no only do you have to know tuning software, you have to manipulate the software on the actual efi unit (for new features etc. this is not unique to megasquirt but worth pointing out)

now back to that wire harness and setting yourself up to have a fighting chance. 36-1 crank trigger and smart coils would be the route I would take. problem I see with stock CPS isn't so much "hey it does not run"....its loss of sync and timing float. all happening under conditions you cant simulate (aka a full pull, high rpm and load) because you can't have a scope and your head under the hood while your simulating whatever problem (it will have). then throw in the odd ball multiplex oem igniter, why run that when you don't have to bc you have an updated stand alone system

if I could have back the hundreds of hours building (like soldering actual components to a circuit board, old school MS1 "kit" style) / installing / troubleshooting / re-installing /tuning my ms1 fuel only system I would go back and slap myself silly and say NOOOO don't do it!!

my car now runs on a stock ecu + MAFT pro piggy back w speed density conversion. took about 1/20th the time to implement and tune. for under 400 hp I wouldn't bother with a stand alone.
    Last edited by madisonMK3; 05-01-2019 at 07:49 AM.

SupraForums Member
    I guess I could elaborate on what turned me off to the megasquirt. yes I had the car running, what I thought was well, with a bpu setup (stock ct26/ ms1 v3 fuel only). ran a 13.7 @105 best time with it

then one night I go out with my wife, maybe 30 miles from the house. did I mention kids at home with a sitter? anyway car looses 02 sensor - fouled / who knows what the fuck but the innova module (feeding ms) went ape shit. I could see the problems on my analog (cabin) 02 gauge and knew to take it easy. well after dinner car ran so poor i honestly thought it was going to lean out and melt / pop a piston on the freeway. apparently ms1 went crazy w/o proper o2 feedback and my tune went way off. so there I was, laptop dead, later at night and in the position of "fuck this i have to drive it home" popping/smelling hot whatever.... make it or not here we go....

long story short I didn't trust the hardware / my tune (fail safes, situations your can't think up until shit happens...) to daily drive that ms around and went a different way
    Last edited by madisonMK3; 05-01-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    1986.5 Supra NA-T Targa [email protected] BPU / MAFT-Pro sd
    2001 OG Prius
    2007.5 2500HD GMC 6.0 gas
    2011 Prius

gas, grass or ass - nobody rides for free

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    You see that's what I thought when I first bought the unit why would I pay so much for it?

First, it fits in the stock location, connects to the stock harness and includes the MAP sensor needed. If you want to lose the AFM you need to add an Air temp sensor.
    It includes a WB controller, along with wifi or Bluetooth to communicate to the laptop or controlling device or IOS/Android. The software to control the ECU and tune is CONSTANTLY upgraded because the platform is opensource and been around forever. VS When AEM decides V1 is finished the ECU gains no abilities no bugs are fixed and you need to spend again for new features like E85 blending.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's the best fastest hardware out there... By far it's not but it gets the job done. If my stock ECU could allow me to adjust the parameters and do VE tuning along with E85 blending, I'd love to just modify that I don't care what hardware runs it as long as it works and is reliable. New is not always better, in fact, look how many damn bugs there were in the infinity and the Pro-EFI before they got stable.

So Sam @ perfect tuning spent A LOT of time to make the stock CPS work correctly and pick up how it should like stock.

The PNP of the harness works along with the extra port which allows for changes like a sequential injection. The side connector on the ECU allows you to hook up other sensors that may be needed such as WB/02 and E85 flex sensors along with things like Seq injection.

Overall, choose what you choose, even an AEM v1 will do the job... Just make sure your tuner (in this case Sam the owner of Perfect Tuning can be hired to remote tune as well) can tune the car, and that it will run.

IMO the biggest difference between the EMU Black vs MSPNP was that I expected some things like the base map to be filled out for a stock running car so I could modify and learn instead of having to completely learn the whole unit top to bottom. Also, the instructions on how to perform the timing sync and everything on the MSPNP manual was VERY easy to follow and 10000000% better than the manual for the EMU Black which lacks depth into why you are doing some things or how to configure specific items.

@Madisonmk3, without a 02 sensor and running VE based mapping will F with things majorly. However, if you haven't tuned with a missing sensor then yes it will run like a bag of shit the MS3 doesn't include 02 controllers by default, also MS3 is only as good as the person that built it which is the big change between more expensive ECU's. Assembled with a warranty is what Perfect tuning offers, so I wouldn't call them Apples to Apples.

Don't get me wrong I love the ECUmaster Black, hardware, there needs some love on the documentation, and on basemaps because LOTS is left to be desired... It's even missing a compare feature for maps so you have no idea what has changed one map vs another.
    Last edited by ZaZZn; 05-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Eric W
    87 TT E85
    91 T 60k miles
    98 SC 300

SupraForums Member
    This PnP really rustled the ecu elitist of this board.

I run the Pnp ms3pro from Perfecttuning on my 1jz swapped mk3. It ran very well after tuning and spending a bit of time perfecting it, no issue with the ECU at all, fit the stock location and you have a extra connector if you want to customize the installation (I went full sequential fuel injection amongs other things). Stock speed signal from the cluster work in the ecu and you can use it to tune boost by gear and launch control, knock sensing works too. I also had no issues with the stock jz crank sensor and cam sensors, no noise or loss of signal in the ms3pro since I shielded the wires.

As with all ecu installation, you are going to spend some time tuning and fiddling with the tune if you want near stock drivability and features, but it is not impossible.

Sure there are some very good ecus out there (haltech, proefi, motec). However, the ms3pro PnP is the best bang for the your money.

475RWHP 449TQ and climing QWIKSTRIKE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
    This PnP really rustled the ecu elitist of this board.

I run the Pnp ms3pro from Perfecttuning on my 1jz swapped mk3. It ran very well after tuning and spending a bit of time perfecting it, no issue with the ECU at all, fit the stock location and you have a extra connector if you want to customize the installation (I went full sequential fuel injection amongs other things). Stock speed signal from the cluster work in the ecu and you can use it to tune boost by gear and launch control, knock sensing works too. I also had no issues with the stock jz crank sensor and cam sensors, no noise or loss of signal in the ms3pro since I shielded the wires.

As with all ecu installation, you are going to spend some time tuning and fiddling with the tune if you want near stock drivability and features, but it is not impossible.

Sure there are some very good ecus out there (haltech, proefi, motec). However, the ms3pro PnP is the best bang for the your money.
    Ms3pro 1400.00 or a haltech for 1700.00.
    Go haltech, ms3pro and ecu black lacks tuning point's I have the ecu black and it's pale in terms of my wolf v500.

Cheap ecus works but leaves lots to be desired by ECU with better tuning point's.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in