Stock twins how important is oil Catch Can?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stock twins how important is oil Catch Can?

SupraForums Member
    Blog Entries

Stock twins how important is oil Catch Can?

I have 94 TT running stock twins. How important is oil Catch Can in our cars. My Upgrade is Full exhaust its around 400hp.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

i would like to know as well

SupraForums Member
    Funny you ask I was researching this last week (Not Joking) and my research led me here which I thought sufficed:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-car-have-one/
    2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S --> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BA6Jtw5pgzz47JeH7
    1994 MKIV Supra in RR (First Car in High School in '99) Auto to V160
    (Supra is being restored like new with surgery by Patrick94TT) Preview --> https://photos.app.goo.gl/69o8PpFoVQr9GPbk9

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

The stock charcoal canister is the OEM catch can right? I could be wrong but would love some insight.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego0322 View Post
    The stock charcoal canister is the OEM catch can right? I could be wrong but would love some insight.
    Yes it is

SupraForums Member supralover93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgibson528 View Post
    Yes it is
    no its not.
    its a fuel vapor canister. catch can is for engine/oil blow by.
    §§
    93 turbo targa
    auto
    BPU

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supralover93 View Post
    no its not.
    Yeah Generally the OEM style is "Burn Off" ie no Catch Can.
    Last edited by darkloki; 05-03-2019 at 11:34 AM.

SupraForums Member
    no its not.
    You are right, I misspoke.

A lot of people place the oil catch can in this location when they go single.

On a single turbo with significantly elevated crankcase pressure, I think it's a damn good idea to have a catch can. I personally prefer closed-loop systems where the can isn't vented to atmosphere with a breather filter, but is instead routed to a pre-turbo inlet for vacuum.
    That vacuum reference helps a lot in keeping seals intact with high boost levels, but the passive vent style systems work well enough so long as it can vent enough - the PHR system is fantastic, but using generic GReddy style cans with a single vent doesn't cut it.
    Going full race-car I prefer the catch can or just the valve covers themselves to be routed to check valves in the downpipe for crankcase ventilation, but those check valves fail often so it's a high-maintenance arrangement there.

Below 500hp, though, one can leave the PCV etc stock with minimal if any issue. I would be more concerned about deleting EGR (if present) at that stage.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

SF Contributing Member bitshftr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    Below 500hp, though, one can leave the PCV etc stock with minimal if any issue. I would be more concerned about deleting EGR (if present) at that stage.
    "Concerned" as in "you should remove the EGR", or as in "removing the EGR is bad"?
    1995 Supra NA, Baltic Blue, targa, TRD LSD, Recaro Sport seats, Cusco carbon fiber front/rear strut tower bars, 97+ front turns
    Passport hardwired, w/ amped remote speakers in seat harness slots
    Hidden/hardwired garage door opener w/ custom Supra dash button

1995 Supra TT, BPU+, Baltic Blue, targa, TRD front/Cusco rear strut tower bars, 98 headlights w/ 6k HIDs, 97+ front turns, BNR turbos, Tial BOV, HKS Super Drager exhaust, SSR Professor SP1 wheels, Racelogic TC, VPC/GCC
    Passport hardwired
    Hidden/hardwired garage door opener w/ custom Supra dash button
    Subtle white LED dash backlights

SupraForums Member mkivsoopratt's Avatar
    Removing the egr is never bad on a 2j
    “Lag is foreplay” - Biologist

1995 Toyota Supra Single Turbo 6 Speed Hardtop VVTi

1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-T 5 speed

2017 Toyota Tacoma V6

If you are using stock twins and BPU you should be fine without a catch can. When you start upping the boost past BPU levels, then you will need one. I run 20 - 27lbs boost with the PowerHouse Racing catch can that vents to the atmosphere. I emptied a cup of blow by out last couple times I drained it... I just do it the same time I change the oil.
    95 Supra TT (Hybrid GT28R's), Alpine Silver, ProEfi, ATF A340 Auto
    93 Supra NA, Baltic Blue

I've been meaning for years to understand this better to decide if I "really" need a catch can or not on my set up. So the oil that would be caught in the catch can ends up in the intercooler if I don't have one, do I have that right?

I'm hybrid GT28 seq twins 20 - 22 psi, 550whp, all stock MAF, PCV, EGR, charcoal canister etc. I'd have to use a closed-loop/no venting system if I did anything. When I took my stock SMIC and pipes off after about 3k miles on the hybrid turbos, it had no more than trace of oil anywhere - not enough to form even drops. Is this a good indicator that I am fine as is?

TIA for any good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by beezupra View Post
    I've been meaning for years to understand this better to decide if I "really" need a catch can or not on my set up. So the oil that would be caught in the catch can ends up in the intercooler if I don't have one, do I have that right?

I'm hybrid GT28 seq twins 20 - 22 psi, 550whp, all stock MAF, PCV, EGR, charcoal canister etc. I'd have to use a closed-loop/no venting system if I did anything. When I took my stock SMIC and pipes off after about 3k miles on the hybrid turbos, it had no more than trace of oil anywhere - not enough to form even drops. Is this a good indicator that I am fine as is?

TIA for any good advice.
    Combustion gases escape into the crank case and builds pressure, and then oil from the crankcase escapes to the combustion chamber. If you do not have a catch can it will not build up oil in your intercooler. However, it works against the efficiency of your engine and ability to make more horsepower. The catch can just allows a way to evacuate out the blow by and pressure from the crankcase.

If you your turbos seals are leaking or on their way out, you could get oil in your intercooler.

Here is a good video:

Last edited by briankallaher; 05-08-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beezupra View Post

TIA for any good advice.
    I would leave your car exactly as it is, Brian. Ain't broke don't fix it.

Now, if someone wanted to max out a set of hybrid GT28's, I'd recommend a catch can.

SupraForums Member supralover93's Avatar
    is there a way to know you have excessive blow by? and i don't mean by blowing all your seals out haha.

is there a way to know you have excessive blow by? and i don't mean by blowing all your seals out haha.
    Leakdown tests are ideal for that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in