Took out the spare tire, it's a bit rusty...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Took out the spare tire, it's a bit rusty...

SupraForums Member

Took out the spare tire, it's a bit rusty...

Welp, guess I won't be using this guy anymore Bought a can of fix-a-flat. Amayama says the have the rim in stock, fingers crossed.

Rear drain plug area in the well is all rusted out with a nice view of the ground so I'll be cleaning that all up while waiting for a new spare. I'm thinking one of those rust repair kits with the mesh and body fillers might work? Specifically based on what I saw in the rust repair video from ChrisFix. Just need to leave a drainage hole.

Rusty Spare Tire.jpg
    '91 Supra Turbo 5spd - White Package
    2018 BRZ tS - WRB

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Did you fix the leak? Where was yours at? Most of what I have seen the seal on the rear window has failed but, it would be nice to know if anybody had an odd place leak. You want to wire wheel clean that and put a rust converter on it before you do that work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SupraForums Member
    I removed the interior trim from the hatch and more than half of the metal clips are completely rusted away. I was actually expecting a lot worse so I was glad I didn't see must rust on the actual hatch itself. It's gotta be from the hatch window trim so I'll be ordering some new trim and clips to try and fix the source of the water. Already have a new rubber hatch seal so it's not that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Also check your tail light gaskets, another place for water to get in.

1995 SIL/Blk 9sec Street/Race Car (GT47-88 - Sold)
    1994 Blk/Blk 6spd Hardtop T - APU (1 of 326 - 17K Original Miles - Original Paint)
    1993 Blk/Blk 6spd Hardtop TT - BPU (2 of 326 - SOLD To Kracin)
    1991 Wht/Red A/TM Hardtop T - (Original Paint)

Incorporating a drain hole in your repair is a good idea. We all have the same problem with water getting in the trunk area. I've been driving with the drain plug slightly ajar under the spare tire for years. I keep microfiber towel strips tucked under the taillights to catch water before it makes its way to the spare wheel well. I checked them after a rain and dry them out. Another thing that's helpful to do is to encapsulate the lamp failure relay that's connected near the driver side taillight in a plastic bag so that water doesn't get into it. When I replaced the rear hatch seal, I noticed some rust out on the bead near the taillights. I wire brushed and coated the bare metal with rust reformer. I repaired it back into shape with JB weld and used plastic wrap to hold it in place while it cured so it didn't sag down. After it cured, I used nail file to shape it and remove the sharp edges.

SupraForums Member
    Thanks for the tips guys! Wiped down the tire well last weekend and got all of the bits of rust floating around cleaned out. It's gonna be some work for this one, probably need to drop the fuel tank to tackle the large hole on the passenger side of the well. Gah, this is what I get for not staying on top of it all this time! I'm sure shipping the car with me to Hawaii hasn't helped much either haha

Order with Amayama is currently in "Inquiring with vendor" status so I'm becoming doubtful that I'll actually be able to grab a new spare tire rim. If that's true it's on to fleabay for me and hope they ship to Hawaii.

Rusty Spare Tire Well.jpg

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in