V160 and rear diff

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: V160 and rear diff

V160 and rear diff

Alright guys, Christmas came early for me! I just got my semi new V160 and 6 speed rear diff to complete my swap project. I need some help from anyone out there, I need to find the rear drive pinion companion flange for the differential. I was able to get the one for the V160 from toyota but the differential one is discontinued. I currently have the R154 5 speed trans and non turbo diff installed on my car, is that diff flange the same? Toyota has the same part#41204 can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Supratt81 View Post
    Alright guys, Christmas came early for me! I just got my semi new V160 and 6 speed rear diff to complete my swap project. I need some help from anyone out there, I need to find the rear drive pinion companion flange for the differential. I was able to get the one for the V160 from toyota but the differential one is discontinued. I currently have the R154 5 speed trans and non turbo diff installed on my car, is that diff flange the same? Toyota has the same part#41204 can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
    Any A80 rear differential that is missing the companion flange will need a full teardown and rebuild to properly torque the pinion and set the pinion depth on a new crush sleeve. Use a new nut for the companion flange/pinion too.
    But either size of companion flange aka the small flange (NA/ Early Lexus) or the big flange (TT Supra, Later Lexus V8) size can be installed on a MK4 or most Lexus diffs of similar vintage. So raid junkyards as needed to find the flange you need to suit the driveshaft you have. I would strongly recommend keeping the OE rubber driveshaft 'donut' between the driveshaft and the differential.

For a differential cross-compatibility reference see the sticky thread on diff info in this section. The small flange is the one currently installed on your non-turbo diff, the big flange is the factory TT size.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I have almost all the parts for the rebuild just small things that are discontinued like the washer plates and the flange. I do have the rubber oem donut and an extra metal or aluminum one that is currently on the car. I'll keep you guys posted here's a pic of my baby!

Thanks Buddy!

Last edited by Supratt81; 05-08-2019 at 06:41 PM.

If that diff pictured is the one you've got, it appears to have a companion flange and a driveshaft donut still installed. You should only need to source a factory V160 driveshaft or any driveshaft set up for a factory TT V160 car.

SupraForums Member mkivsoopratt's Avatar
    I would not touch the companion flange. Source a 6 speed driveshaft. If the diff is in good condition don’t make it harder on yourself by pulling it apart

p.s. What are those wheel specs?
    “Lag is foreplay” - Biologist

1995 Toyota Supra Single Turbo 6 Speed Hardtop VVTi

1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-T 5 speed

2017 Toyota Tacoma V6

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    If that diff pictured is the one you've got, it appears to have a companion flange and a driveshaft donut still installed. You should only need to source a factory V160 driveshaft or any driveshaft set up for a factory TT V160 car.
    I would have loved to use it but its damaged. It looks like who had it before tried cutting it off for what ever reason? Idiot!

Wheels are 10.5 × 18 275/35/18 rear and 235/40/18 front

Quote Originally Posted by Supratt81 View Post
    Wheels are 10.5 × 18 275/35/18 rear and 235/40/18 front
    Offsets dude, offsets.
    Shame you can only fit a 275 on a 10.5 because of them.

lol...they came with the car when I bought it and the tires were brand new man! I just want my tranny and rear diff installation to go smooth and then it's going straight to the shop to bring that Beautiful Imperial Jade back to life! The previous owner had the car sitting out for a couple years getting killed by the sun and dust. Luckily I'm in Cali or it could've been death by weather for my Supra.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in