Window moldings....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Window moldings....

l337 M0d3r4t0r

Window moldings....

I'm not quite sure what to do about these.. I am about to repaint a car, and while my 1/4 moldings are good because I bought them 10 years ago now and probably only seen sunlight like 30 times i'm not worried. But I am however worried about the rain guard mouldings that I have to reuse on my hardtop since I do not have good ones. The sun has peeled the plastic form the metal and looks like they cannot be replaced.

The windshield I saw people have used rubber gaskets, same for the rear, I dont know where to get these but if someone would mind sharing it would be helpful.

Finally, and more importantly, are the clips for the rear window 1/4's they are DC as well and trying to remove the clips on my 1/4's I damaged all of them on my parts car so I'm worried about trying to remove them on my good doner car after my parts car gets painted and I start to swap stuff over.

Any suggestions?

Also what does anyone do about the rain splash guard in the door pannels... I harvested them and they do not sell them new.. I was thinking of trying to construct my own out of a similar plastic, but i'm all ears for easier ways.
    Eric W
    87 TT E85
    91 T 60k miles
    98 SC 300

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    I'm not quite sure what to do about these.. I am about to repaint a car, and while my 1/4 moldings are good because I bought them 10 years ago now and probably only seen sunlight like 30 times i'm not worried. But I am however worried about the rain guard mouldings that I have to reuse on my hardtop since I do not have good ones. The sun has peeled the plastic form the metal and looks like they cannot be replaced.

The windshield I saw people have used rubber gaskets, same for the rear, I dont know where to get these but if someone would mind sharing it would be helpful.

Finally, and more importantly, are the clips for the rear window 1/4's they are DC as well and trying to remove the clips on my 1/4's I damaged all of them on my parts car so I'm worried about trying to remove them on my good doner car after my parts car gets painted and I start to swap stuff over.

Any suggestions?

Also what does anyone do about the rain splash guard in the door pannels... I harvested them and they do not sell them new.. I was thinking of trying to construct my own out of a similar plastic, but i'm all ears for easier ways.
    Any good window shop should be able to get the proper rubber seal for the windshield, this is what was done on my brothers car. Unfortunately I wasn't involved with that so I don't know what the cross section of the seal was.

1/4 window clips, talking about the 4 along the top of the window that hold the top trim piece on? Toyota shows those as available still, PN 75049-14020.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for the rain guard moldings. I looked into having new moldings made a couple years ago and it was a $15k investment just for the dies to form the stainless trim. They'd still have to be coated somehow and that would add significantly to the cost I assume.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    sucks that this stuff is gone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

YotaMD.com author
    I'm in a very similar boat. Here's my plan so far:

Molding and window trim clips: Most are actually available. So far, everything I wanted was available.
    Windshield trim: Recondition what you have. If the plastic is good, just clean, score and paint a semi-gloss black. If plastic is damaged then strip it all off or sand and fill smooth. If metal is dented, fill with body filler just like you would body panels and then paint.

What rain splash guards are you talking about? I've got an industrial-grade printer at home to do fiberglass-reinforced carbon fiber parts (may sound contradictory, but it makes sense, I promise) and need to justify it's existence to my wife by making parts. I plan to make new door vents and other parts. Maybe I'll make what you need.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suprarx7nut View Post
    What rain splash guards are you talking about? I've got an industrial-grade printer at home to do fiberglass-reinforced carbon fiber parts (may sound contradictory, but it makes sense, I promise) and need to justify it's existence to my wife by making parts. I plan to make new door vents and other parts. Maybe I'll make what you need.
    Pretty sure he's talking about the trim piece that runs up the side of the front A pillar along the top of the side window. Don't think you could do a direct copy of OEM out of FRCF so it would probably require a redesign. It would be doable though.

I'll see if I can grab a picture of the trim piece later.

SupraForums Member
    Not the best pictures but just about as good as I can get. This clips onto the body. If you can come up with something that you can attach to that ridge on the body with 3M molding tape it just might work.

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Pretty sure he's talking about the trim piece that runs up the side of the front A pillar along the top of the side window. Don't think you could do a direct copy of OEM out of FRCF so it would probably require a redesign. It would be doable though.

I'll see if I can grab a picture of the trim piece later.
    Oh. I thought it was on the door itself since he said "door panel". I guess some clarification is in order. The upper door trim part you show is not something I could do. I can replicate non-sheet plastics, but definitely not long, thin metal pieces like the window trims.

Have you looked on Amayama? Lots of stuff that we can't get in north america is still available through there. Plus, it's cheaper than even the best discount dealers. I recently got all new targa seals and oil squirter bolts, all cheaper than dealers, even including shipping from Japan.
    88 Turbo, Burgandy

Shiny makes you faster!

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
    Have you looked on Amayama? Lots of stuff that we can't get in north america is still available through there. Plus, it's cheaper than even the best discount dealers. I recently got all new targa seals and oil squirter bolts, all cheaper than dealers, even including shipping from Japan.
    Yup. I recently requested over $8,000 in parts from Amayama that still showed available in their system. The window upper trim was a part of my request. They came back and said only couple hundred dollars worth was actually available - window trim was not available. What was available was mostly clips.

And that right there is why these cars are difficult to restore worth a damn.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    The rain guard for nontarga is diff than targa.. Targa has 2 parts one for the roof and one for the front windshield that collects the water and guides it away.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    can you tell me how to order from aus? I'd like to order if I can.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in