MKV Supra vs MKIV Supra - The new one is officially faster

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MKV Supra vs MKIV Supra - The new one is officially faster

SupraForums Member

MKV Supra vs MKIV Supra - The new one is officially faster

Interesting read for you magazine stat racers.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...pIPyCsJ96w74Yg

0.8 seconds faster to 60 mph and 0.8 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile as well.

Okay, now we'll get to what you really care about. In its day, the Mark IV Supra was quick as hell. The manual-equipped Turbo model that we tested in 1993 hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and went through the quarter-mile in 13.1 seconds at 109 mph. In a 1993 six-car comparison test, which it won, we described the Supra Turbo as "a rocket car" that pulled like a train. The 2020 Supra destroys the old car, though, with a 3.8-second zero-to-60-mph time and a quarter-mile dispatched in 12.3 seconds at 113 mph. The A80's 11.1-second zero-to-100-mph and 19.9-second zero-to-130 runs were similarly beaten; the new car posted times of 9.5 seconds to 100 mph and 17.4 seconds to 130.
    Plus 12 foot shorter stopping distance from 70 mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries
    Put the 8 speed trans in the MKIV and see what happens. Of course it's faster. Better tires, launch control and an 8-speed transmission. DUH!

Steve K.

1993.5 Anthracite 6 SPD//PRO EFI//PTE6766//3-Row//E-85Fuel Sys//PHR I/M//GSC//IP 10/1 motor//Manley//RPS C/C//CCW C14//Brembo BBK//TRD LSD//930WHP/38PSI
    2009 BMW 535i Sport FBO
    2011 Land Cruiser

^^^Exactly, it should be faster and stop better stock v stock with it being newer with updated Tech no surprise there.
    Black Onyx 95 HT NA->VVTI GTE/V160/BW SXE/Infinity 6/8XXHP/[email protected] on E85 built and tuned by Freed Engineering
    Black Onyx 00 GS400 Platinum/RSR Coils/TSW Rascasse/CatBack Exhaust/Cruiser

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Its sad that this is even a comparison...

For instance the 1993 Mustang was rated at 225hp....2019 460hp
    1993 Camaro 275hp....2019 455hp

Golf clap toyota....eh, bmw for squeezing 15hp out of 17 years and something so ugly only a mother could love. You took the hopes and dreams of a great car and crushed them
    1994 Red/Black TT
    86K miles
    Roller...6 speed swap coming soon

Isn't it supposed to be? The apologists are really scraping the bottom of the barrel on this one.

SupraForums Member
    It would be something if they did stuff like the Ford guys. They make new parts with the old generations in mind so they bolt up with little modifications.

Maybe the brakes could work on our MKIV?

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird View Post
    ^^^Exactly, it should be faster and stop better stock v stock with it being newer with updated Tech no surprise there.
    What we've been saying all along right?...and no one wanted to admit it. Like you said, of course it should be faster....I can't think of a car maker that after 20yrs+ made a slower car than it's predecessor model (no matter where the engine was sourced from).

Ill say this again to everyone, just wait til' the top tier version comes out.... ;-) will be an industry first car that will have supercar performance for a fraction of the cost. That's the one I want.
    2019 Subaru STI - Crystal White Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    Its sad that this is even a comparison...

For instance the 1993 Mustang was rated at 225hp....2019 460hp
    1993 Camaro 275hp....2019 455hp

Golf clap toyota....eh, bmw for squeezing 15hp out of 17 years and something so ugly only a mother could love. You took the hopes and dreams of a great car and crushed them
    I will go out on a limb and say it's more than 15hp difference I get what you're saying should have been a bigger jump but no way this new car is 335hp crank based on times I'm seeing posted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird View Post
    I will go out on a limb and say it's more than 15hp difference I get what you're saying should have been a bigger jump but no way this new car is 335hp crank based on times I'm seeing posted.
    You think they rated it at 335HP to keep BMW happy (Z4 rated at 385HP) and perhaps it actually does make 385HP? That is my guess. That and the 8-speed trans, tires, and launch control definitely help.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 1A1 View Post
    You think they rated it at 335HP to keep BMW happy (Z4 rated at 385HP) and perhaps it actually does make 385HP? That is my guess. That and the 8-speed trans, tires, and launch control definitely help.

Steve
    That would actually be funny if they did that. I'm curious to see what sort of agreements were signed in regards to power output and marketing of each side's power output. The dyno will reveal the truth soon.

That BMW puts up some nice numbers! I wonder if the gentleman's agreement is back in effect? That yellow one is starting to grow on me though.....hmmmm
    NAH !!!! Must have manual !!!
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismael View Post
    In my opinion, Supras are the right hand of god in the car world. Sent to put order when Mustangs and Camaros get wild. To bring justice when cocky Evo and Subaru drivers get out of hand. And to show bikers that two wheels are NOT faster than four!

SupraForums Member
    I can't even begin to understand why Manual wasn't offered here. A part of me could almost see and understand it but then you hear something like, If you buy a Supra MKV they'll give you a track day pass for your new Automatic Automobile.

And I'm just like WTF!?!!? The jokes keep coming I mean we had a peanut commercial and then now free tickets for a Track Day... .
    2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S --> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BA6Jtw5pgzz47JeH7
    1994 MKIV Supra in RR (First Car in High School in '99) Auto to V160
    (Supra is being restored like new with surgery by Patrick94TT) Preview --> https://photos.app.goo.gl/69o8PpFoVQr9GPbk9

Very Senior Member Silver Supra's Avatar
    In this "collaboration", one thing is clear - BMW is the boss and holds the cards.
    Like any other collaboration, the boss will not let #2 offer a better product than the one they are selling. BMW put many conditions on this deal to make sure that happens. I think taht explains a number of problems with this car.
    Toyota claims they detuned the engine (lower hp) to make it more reliable. Actually, I think they just left the emissions crap required in the EU on, even for other locations. I suspect the Z4 will be that level in the EU, as well.
    Anyway, this car is what it is - it is just misnamed.
    '94 T Auto Silver Bullet | 471 rwhp at 15.5 psi |

but the real improvement comes in the 30-to-50 and 50-to-70 acceleration runs, which are started in top gear (most automatics will downshift, while manual cars remain in top gear). At 2.5 seconds from 30 to 50 mph and 2.8 seconds from 50 to 70 mph, the new Supra crushes the old car,

LOL , What an idiots...tested 30-50 with a manual in a 6th gear and at the same time "allowed" automatic to downshift and say how it "crashed" the old on.No shit Sherlock. Whats the point of that test? If the car downshits, then its not final gear.Whats the point of the test when one car have to stay in one gear, and another one one is allowed to find its useful rpm? If you cant make auto stay in its final gear, dont perform the test.
    Last edited by Skyline GT-R; 05-15-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    It's a Psychedelic Trance thing.....you wouldn't understand.

The fun starts @145bpm

They did it on purpose to improve the opinions of onlookers following progress (you guys)

Imagine how [email protected]#(*$'d it would be if the car dyno'd less than sticker promise, or exactly as much as promised
    Instead they hope that people will dyno and go "huh, what a nice surprise, maybe its not so bad after all"

Honestly the 2jz makes incredible VE with it's OEM head at a pretty much max RPM for daily driver style platforms. Without increasing displacement significantly it isn't surprising that they only made a teeny bit of extra power with any other engine in the world. It just isn't thermodynamically likely to 'tech up' beyond 100% of an air pumps capacity to flow air, considering the minimal drag attributes already tech'd out in the 90's.

Very Senior Member Silver Supra's Avatar
    The new kid is officially marginally faster than it's grandfather.
    Big whoop.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in