The ONLY place for Supra mechanical work in NM - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The ONLY place for Supra mechanical work in NM

Im looking for a shop/person that could do a factory rebuild on a gte bottom end...havent torn it apart yet to see if there is any piston damage or cyl wall damage..engine still runs perfect but is low compression in 1 cyl...kinda tight on budget and we dont have a machine shop here that i can even trust to mill the cyl head..i have a ge bottom end that i was gonna use but am scraed to use it cause the tops of pistons had oil build up on them...dont know if thats anything to worry about or not...i just want to get my car back to the way it was before it lost compression...
    1993 NA supra.... gte and single 67..r154 soon

2016 harley davidson streetglide....

2013 silverado hd duramax.....

2015 silverado...

2017 accord sport....

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I realize how old this thread is. I just wanted to know if you guys are still around and where yall are located. I just got a 93 NA/Auto and will need a trust worth shop to help me out with some things.

SupraForums Member
    Try Motiva. They've got a Supra guy there that really good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Try Motiva. They've got a Supra guy there that really good.
    Sorry I would have to disagree 100% about Motiva, even though Jeff is a good guy.
    Go to NM Imports

Ashybone check out my build thread
    https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ole&highlight=

I would HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT go to Motiva for any work on any of your vehicles, whatsoever. I know that it's tempting to go there because of the big shiny building. Don't!!! Work on it yourself and learn a bit while you're at it. You can find just about anything you need to work on your car via Google and Youtube. If you absolutely have to take it somewhere, NM Imports is a much better option than Motiva.
    '
    Chris
    Not one ounce of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me....

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneix View Post
    Sorry I would have to disagree 100% about Motiva, even though Jeff is a good guy.
    Go to NM Imports

Ashybone check out my build thread
    https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ole&highlight=
    I'm the shop foreman at Motiva now. If it sees a wrench at that shop, it doesn't leave without my going-over and approval.

Yes, it sucks and it sucks big that your stock 140k mile longblock spun a rod bearing on our dyno. These things happen with the age and mileage involved, as much as it sucks.

It also sucks to see you succumb to all the typical haterade and hearsay BS. Scottie doesn't lock his tunes because he has nothing to hide. I'm sure Cam filled your ears with his typical unprofessional poison about it, but I don't expect anything less from a guy that claims to be professional, yet works out of his garage and refuses to return phone calls or emails to his customers until he sees his customer cars at our shop when trolling social media.

That aside, I never would have allowed your car to leave with that firewall clusterfuck if I'd had a say in it at the time. I do now. I also personally insisted on Dave going down to NM Imports and paying Alex out the shop's pocket to repair that properly. Dave also took the time to go over your bill and the work performed and Alex agreed that he'd charge similarly in hours for it all, aside from the firewall, and that while it was a $6k tab a hell of a lot had to be done and no small part of that was simply parts cost, such as the new engine wiring harness.

Do you know that even happened? Ask Alex.

Dave also offered to convert your engine harness to a firewall mil-spec connector FOR FREE to make your firewall that much better, and you declined.
    I offered to pull your engine FOR FREE and tear it down to a shortblock to diagnose the issue FOR FREE, and frankly, if the results inside looked like it could have been tuning related in any way, I'd have dug into my own parts stash to figure something out for you, and if it wasn't tuning related, I'd have figured something out for you for a pittance.
    I offered to source you a set of Manley rods & pistons at our cost -which would be a substantial discount from street price anywhere you've seen- and machine and install them all at cost, or free, depending on how that all played out.
    But considering the oil that came out of that engine, I'm not confident that it was tuning related but I'll never know because I never saw the internals.
    But you declined completing your tune. You declined all further work despite my transparent communication, honesty, and relentless desire to make it right for you.

Instead, you fell in with all the people who seem to make a 40hr/week hobby out of reviling our success when they've almost never even been our customer, and in the maybe one in ten that has, it was some nickle and dime shit where we booted their falling-apart POS off our dyno because it leaked too much or simply couldn't be tuned due to mechanical problems, or it's something like your case where a 20+ year old engine has issues on the dyno due to things entirely beyond the scope of our work or control, and they bailed out to jump on the haterade brigade bandwagon before I/we could make it right within the scope of our responsibility - or beyond that scope, as was the case with your car and how badly I wanted to make it right for you.

I struggle with it personally because we ship 10-20 cars a week with work big and small and we work on a lot of very high dollar platforms and we stand behind what we do. We very rarely have problems but in high performance, shit does happen.
    BadZ06, as you might have heard, suffered an engine failure because we used pistons that simply weren't up to the task of a 1100+hp build on a Vortech YSI. Despite that being a $10k+ loss to us, WE WARRANTIED THE MOTOR. We've warrantied a lot of other work of that scope as well when it didn't meet standard. But when we didn't touch the shortblock, and you didn't pay us to touch the shortblock, and the shortblock is 20+ years old and ostensibly 140k+ miles, is it that outlandish that something can happen to it, even with good tuning and good work elsewhere?
    It's absolutely insane how intense it is whenever anything goes wrong at Motiva. If we are not perfect we're slayed relentlessly in all the social circles. Despite doing an average of 7 dyno tunes a week for the entire calendar year of 2015, we had exactly four failures that entire year, including your car, and none of which were tuning related or of any fault of our own. What's worse, is that old friends of mine won't talk to me anymore because I work for 'them'. Yet in most cases they weren't ever a Motiva customer, and despite knowing me, and my knowledge base and integrity, they don't allow that to sway the 'common knowledge' that 'Motiva Sucks'.

But if anything goes wrong even when it's not our fault, it's somehow our fault. Yet if the same car blew up on another dyno in this town, everyone would simply say 'shit happens' and drive on.
    Yet we never hear about all the other shit that blows up on the other dynos in this town or all the outlandish billing that happens for really shitty work at other shops in this town, because they're all in the cool-kid group in some shitty, dirty shop so they get the underdog cred, even though a startling amount of their former customers come into Motiva and want us to fix what was done wrong, and some even ask us not to post pictures of their cars because the other shop owners all relentlessly troll our social media.

It's fucking asinine. It's immature. Ryan, I will still find you internals and other parts if you want them. I'm glad you still consider me a good guy. Let me know if I can help you in any way, either as Jeff that other local Supra guy, or as Jeff @ Motiva.

I will say that Alex at NM Imports is a stand-up man and a professional. If a Supra or Nissan goes anywhere, I feel a lot better about it going to him than anywhere else in this town. He is a good dude and I consider Alex and Aoki to be friends. I'd like to think they feel the same about me, despite where I've worked for the past year.

Let me end it with this - nothing in that shop leaves that shop without my thumbs-up. So if anyone here holds my knowledge or professionalism in high regard, I'd like to think that carries some weight. No, I will not do shit for free or insist on doing free shit just because I see shortcomings in what the customer was actually willing to pay for. I learned about that the hard way.

Chris - please stop by the shop and let me show you around. Let me dispel the BS you've heard and SHOW you what's happening under that roof. We're so busy we'll be expanding soon. Our business is only getting busier and better - and the only way that happens in this industry is from word-of-mouth from happy customers to whom we've delivered top-shelf work.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

Hmmm… Wreakless I read your post a day ago and thought on it before replying I’ll keep it clean and simple.

Yes, I know Dave offered to fix the wiring harness for free. I told them no because I did not want my car to go anywhere near that shop again. I do agree with you about the wiring harness it’s a shit show with the firewall. It’s to the point I have pins falling out of the connector! Why would I want him to touch it again?

Why I said no?
    I had close to zero communication with the shop when my car was being worked on. I did get a random phone call here or there, but I remember having to stop by the shop to get an update on what was going on. After everything that happened after my car blew up. I honestly had no trust with Motiva at that point besides talking with you. We talked on the phone the day after, I remember you didn’t really have nice things to say about Motiva or some of the employees, you even considered quitting. Then your other job had called and you went out of state for over a month (I completely understand that comes first.) Now I was stuck to let the car sit over a month before it got touched to even find out what happened, or get it worked on.
    I also talked to Ryon maybe a month ago, why I got charged 2 hours to do spark plugs?! His answer “ Well I just go by the book in the front office, I don’t know I’m just the office guy” I could understand on my E39 M5 where you have to remove a crap load of top end stuff to even get too the spark plugs but on a MKIV. It takes 20 min max.
    Also for me the icing on the cake what you just posted.
    I have a voice mail on my home phone and when I talked to you at work you told me happened when YOU were taking my car on a test drive, That the dyno went great. Now you state it happened ON the Dyno. No wonder when asked for the video of the dyno tune I got the run around or just ignored.
    As far as Cam talking to me, I came to my own conclusion about Scotty as a tuner. When we found bad coil packs and the fuel pump not being big enough causing it too lean out on high boost. I would think a competent tuner would see the warning signs and stop not keep pushing it on the dyno.
    So yes we can beat this dead horse even more. I keep getting different versions of the story or what happened every time I talk to someone about it. It’s pretty simple, somebody asked about a shop and I gave my opinion based on what happened to me. My recommendation is NO and it will stay that way when someone asks me in the future.
    I am sure I will see you around at car meets or drives, no hard feeling towards you. My response is based off a horrible life learning experience I had with my Supra and Motiva. The good news is. It drives great and I can have fun with the car and now I know what questions to ask and where and when too be when I work / have work done on my cars.

Yes, your car took a long time. Almost all of that was straight-up waiting time for Chase Bays to make the damn engine harness which took close to 4 months if memory serves, vs buying a new Toyota harness as I'd recommended, and could have been there the next day. At the time, it was about saving the ~$300 something cost difference and having it 'perfect' for the AEM vs modding a more expensive Toyota factory harness. With that kind of wait time sometimes comes complacency about customer updates. Again, something that I now have direct control of in my current role. But it still happens, especially when the customer is told that something is a month out, we won't call them next week and tell them it's still a month out - unless the customer specifically requests updates like that. If you'd requested something like that, that's obviously a failure on our part.

Yes, I heard the noise for the first time on my test drive. I called you immediately, IIRC, and at the time, I had every reason to believe the dyno went well at that point, just as the literally hundred+ other cars that I'd seen getting tuned prior to that.
    Since we hadn't diagnosed it at that point, it was foolish to jump to conclusions but it's obvious at this point that if I'm on a test drive that never saw boost or more than 1/4 throttle and was mostly stuck in traffic, and I hear a bad noise from the engine, and it ends up in the end being bottom end damage, chances are good that the damage was done on the dyno immediately prior. Worn out bearings and tired old motors can and do fold under increased power without warning even if a healthy version of the same would have held that no problem.

Scottie is an incredibly skilled tuner in my direct experience over the past year+ of seeing him un-fuck countless messy setups and optimizing them to a higher standard than I'd believe possible.
    But things still happen that are totally beyond a tuner's control, and while I still feel sick at the thought of what happened to your car, and my role in bringing you to the shop, as much as I tried to blame ourselves for what happened the evidence simply wasn't there. We'd done so much to other parts of your Supra, but it was an old stock shortblock with a completely unknown history under a 67mm single turbo. Shit happens and I still hate that it happened to you. I did everything I possibly could to advocate for you. I hope you still know and believe that.
    If you remember, I supplied spare coil packs for free to help out on that end. Small beans now, but something.

Yes, I considered quitting. I was mad as hell at Ryon (yes, with an O) and his approach to what happened. I was straight up losing my shit and I was ready to flip out if that's what it took to properly step up if it was truly our fault.
    In the end I had to come to grips with the reality that we didn't touch the bottom end nor were we asked to or paid to inspect the bottom end. I personally inspected the tune and the datalogs and there wasn't anything like what you're describing, nor was it like that when I watched your car on the dyno. So in the end neither we nor you nor anyone could anticipate failure on a 140k mile shortblock and our role in it as Motiva just didn't convince me that it was our fault - and believe me, I *WANTED* it to be our fault so we'd fix it for you. I still hate that it happened.
    But yes, Things like being charged 2 hours for a spark plug change are long gone now that I'm the shop foreman and I correct any BS like that long before it has a chance to make it back to the customer.

As far as Dave doing the wiring, Dave usually sticks to design and engineering work and believe me, if you'd seen the wiring harnesses he's done you'd have been delighted to have him work on your car. How the firewall ended up so damaged I have no idea and it still horrifies me. I can guarantee you that it wasn't us. The unbelievably shitty silicone filler repair (that I had nothing to do with, btw) to that damage was inexcusable and that's why Dave went to NM Imports and paid for the proper fix. Shit like that will literally never leave this shop again under my watch.

Nonetheless, I'm happy Alex is as good as he is and that there's always a solid second choice here for Supra owners. I am not sure I'll be at Motiva forever, and the relentless bias against our shop has gotten to the point that friends of mine straight up don't talk to me anymore, or go pay to get a few dyno pulls at another shop when I'd have been happy to hook them up with a couple of power check passes for free.
    It's impossible to describe what that feels like. It's the worst juxtaposition of perception/beliefs vs actual reality that I've ever experienced personally.

I hope to see you around. I hope you'll caravan with us to SIV. If you need anything from me personally I'm just as happy to help out a fellow Supra owner as ever, whether that's just as Jeff Wreckless or as Jeff at Motiva. That will never change.

Edit - as for dyno videos and or runs, I didn't know that you were left hanging without either. I remember discussing them with you the last time we'd spoke but that was some time ago but that wasn't really my lane at the time.
    If you want them, I will be happy to provide the dyno runs files to you. The dyno video would have been done with Ryon's old phone and I will see if I can get that somehow. I was in and out of the dyno room that whole afternoon and I made it a point to be around for the pulls because I love hearing a 2JZ so much. I wish I had the video handy because if anything that'd lay to rest everything that I've said. Oh well.
    Last edited by Wreckless; 03-18-2016 at 07:59 PM.

So where is the place to go for supra work now days?

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carmex View Post
    So where is the place to go for supra work now days?

Alex @ NM Imports.

93 Supra - ProEFI

I like the guys at NM Imports however I did have one bad expierience on the one thing I had them do on an old mkiv of mine, neither here nor there, not sure when you're looking to get work done but I will be taking over a shop in the next month or two and when that's done I'll certainly look out for and hook up all my supra friends. I will be making a post about it once the transistion is made!
    97 Deep Jewel Green tt 6spd (Daily)
    1990 th1 blue 4 door r32 skyline (grocery getter)
    94 white single turbo 6spd (sold)
    95 white n/a 5spd supra (sold)
    89 built 240sx (track)

Quote Originally Posted by JUPRA View Post
    Alex @ NM Imports.
    Yep - Alex is damn good at what he does, and he's damn good at taking care of stuff if something goes wrong.
    I'm sure Anthony's new venture will worth considering, as he's a veteran of the Supra world at this point - but with the number of top-shelf Supras that have come out of Alex's shop it'll be a challenge to unseat NM Imports as the place to go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in