Passenger side window won't go down (MKIII)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passenger side window won't go down (MKIII)

Passenger side window won't go down (MKIII)

Does/Did anyone have this problem?

Do the windows have fuses? I'll have to check that, but otherwise, besides the wires being unplugged, what else could go worng with these windows not powering up or down? Could it be a bad motor? has anyone have this problem before..

I did a search, yes, but it's nothing related to my car. My search came up with crap about a wire snapping or a window stuck halfway. Mine just won't go down period.

Thanks,
    Gregory

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Did you lock it on accident? Check the buttons on the driver's side to see if you bumped the lock. Ive' done it before w/o realizing it.

SupraForums Member
    It could be the motor ,but first open up the passenger side switch and clean the contacts. Every mk3 has had that problem.

To check the window motor take off the door panel and run 12 volts directly to the red and red and yellow wires that run from the door switch to the window motor. I think those are the right colors.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Turbonetics..faggot asses
    does it go up when you push the passenger window switch?

Had this problem on mine. Cleaning the switch solved it. Give that a try.

^ me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckanderson
    ^ me too.
    Me three.

Same thing with me, except the window will not go up. Occasionally if I play with it long enough, I can get it to go up by pressing the button at the right angle.

What is involved with "cleaning the switch"

Quote Originally Posted by LuMpY
    Did you lock it on accident? Check the buttons on the driver's side to see if you bumped the lock. Ive' done it before w/o realizing it.
    Nope.

I will check out the switch and clean it. Will keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by Fried Rice
    does it go up when you push the passenger window switch?
    Nope...but i'll check again. but i'm preety sure I tried the passenger side. Will double check.....

Quote Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
    Same thing with me, except the window will not go up. Occasionally if I play with it long enough, I can get it to go up by pressing the button at the right angle.

What is involved with "cleaning the switch"

Had your exact same problem. Cleaning the switch is simple. Pull plastic switch plate from the door handle. Disconnect the wires. Remove the switch from the plastic plate. Use a small screw driver to open the switch. Use some sand paper and clean all electrical contacts. Reassemble and your done. Some also use electrical contact cleaner, but if you dont have that around, just sand them.

Sadly... my window probs continue to reoccur every couple months or so after I clean the switches. Maybe its the wildly fluctuating MI humidity that does it..

Next time I think I'm gonna add a small dab of solder to the contacts and see if that helps...

SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat Twigger's Avatar
    If you pull the switch apart make sure you dont loose that spring, mine shot out never to be found again and now the auto down does not work.

I have you all beat.

In my Supra I roll the pass window down with the driver side switch.....and roll it up from the pass side.

In my Prelude I once locked the window DOWN while delivering pizza in the rain. took off my whole fuckin door panel when one of my friends with a 200+hp civic comes up and holds the lock switch in my face and laughs at me. Fucker

Not ur jizz, not ur bizz Johnny Dangerously's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supra87T
    I have you all beat.

In my Supra I roll the pass window down with the driver side switch.....and roll it up from the pass side.

In my Prelude I once locked the window DOWN while delivering pizza in the rain. took off my whole fuckin door panel when one of my friends with a 200+hp civic comes up and holds the lock switch in my face and laughs at me. Fucker

lol I like how you incorporate your friends horsepower to indicate "its ok, guys, hes cool"

anyways, tahts pretty ghetto..roll down via drivers side, roll up pass side...thats weird..never heard of that.

young blood
    I started laughing when I read your thread title. I had the same problem about two weeks ago, and wrote a thread in this. all I did was buying some tuner tonic, and sprayed it on both switches. someone even told me to grease metal where the windows roll up and down from, but I've been to lazy to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerously
    lol I like how you incorporate your friends horsepower to indicate "its ok, guys, hes cool"

anyways, tahts pretty ghetto..roll down via drivers side, roll up pass side...thats weird..never heard of that.

LMFAO yea thats exactly what I meant....I hate on most civic drivers but he knows his shit. low 12s all motor no nitrous.
    And WHERE ARE ALL THE DAMN SMILEYS???

Jesus Wind
    i had this shit happen to me. after testing some shit i figured out it was the motor. so i replaced it. the worst part is pulling that shit through the little service hole on the door.

nigel
    04 Silver SRT-4

Quickest and fastest stock bottom end SRT-4.
    Best E.T.-10.67 and Best MPH-138

Borg Warner 91-79, E85, stock bottom

Is this thing on? SupraDreamer44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supra87T
    I have you all beat.

HAHAAHA i Have the same problem its drivin me crazy as hell especially when my my friend gets in and rolls it down with the passenger switch and im like WHAT THE FUCK how did you do that and it worked all day when he was there but as soon as he left it stopped working again

[QUOTE=Supra87T]I have you all beat.

Thats whats wrong with mine too. haven't tried to fix it yet but doesn anyone know what might be going on?

i have the opposite problem, my buddy rolled the passenger window down, but i had to roll it up from the driver's side.

ya i got that the pssanger window rolls down but not up from the driver side switch.. whats up?

Had to deal with this issue on my '89, although I just couldn't get the passenger side to roll up from the driver side switch. Passenger side switch worked just fine. You really have to take the switch assembly apart completely (although since the window lock button didn't want to budge, I left that on and just cracked it open enough to get at all the contacts of concern).

Took some pics to help out others so they understand what they need to get at. You do need to take off both button caps (gently), especially as two screws are blocked by the driver side button cap. Then, at least for the passenger side, there's two silver rocker bars that make contact with circular copper contacts. Either the bars or the copper bits can be fouled up and need to be cleaned. I used the sprays pictured, and some tweezers are helpful to get those bars and anything else that falls out back in place.

1989 Supra | Stock 7MGE | AT | Sport Package | White Package | Targa Top

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in