Supra Forums banner

The Mk2: L-type and p-type and year differences

73K views 95 replies 39 participants last post by  klausgb 
#1 ·
Just to help clarify the whole P-type and L-type for everybody. Just to let you all know I'm new to this forum! I have had my mk2 for a year now. I have been researching it forever. So here goes all the quick info on it(mk2):

L-type:
82-84 the L-type came with 14x5.5 rims that were used on the regular celicas. They did NOT have the fender flares. They also do not have the 8-way adjustable sport seats. They were available in either 5 speed or 4-speed auto. Digital Dash with a Trip computer were optional only on the L-type. Did not have Limited Slip

P-type:
Has always had the sport seats, 14x7 rims, flares and headlight washers(option, but was not available on the L-type).This was also available witha 4-speed auto or a 5-speed manual. The wing was also only available on the p-type. Did have limited Slip

Year differences:

82:
first year of sale. The had the original steering wheel and the always had a black hatch and bumper regardless of color. Speedometer went up to 85 mph. The p-type could not have leather. They came out with 3.73 gears. Also it debuted with 145 horsepower. Also in 1982 models there was no power antenna instead a glass antenna was used.

83: No changes accept for the addition of TCCS, and the p-type could now have leather, and the addition of the power antenna.

84: In 1984 it gets tricky, all automatic and L-type supras came rated with a 150 h.p. and all 5-speed p-types had 160 h.p. Now this was the first year where the front turn signals were wrapped around. It also got a new steering wheel, cruise control was moved to a stalk on the steering column, and a more aggressive front air dam was installed. Now the gear ratios changed as well. 5-speeds got 4.30 gears while automatics recieved 4.10 gears. Also the mk2 recieved a hatch sticker that went all the way acroos it that said "SUPRA"

85: All mk2's now had 161 h.p., they also recieved a new spoiler that went the length of the hatch. The l-types, also got new rims they looked exactly like p-type rims, but were in a 15x6 version and were silver clear coat painted. Not many know this, but 85s had heated mirrors which are activated with the rear defroster.

86: The last year, the only change was a CHMSL on the spoiler to conform to federal regulations.

Keep in mind there were color changes through thius time.

hope that helps.

joe

See less See more
#7 ·
Sounds about right but a couple things I noticed.
1. In some year the digital dash became an option for the PType. I know this because I've owned an 85 ptype with the digital (I assume 84 would have been the year).

2. My 82 (and an early 82 at that, made in 81) came with a power antenna. However it may have been added at some point but it always definatly had the proper holes for it. It has the cable in the firewall to attach the window antenna and the normal one for the power, but I suspect that one was added. I have looked for this cable at wreckers so I could convert my 86 to a window antenna but I could only find it on some celicas. And the celicas that did have it did not have the holes in the rear quater for the power antenna, like my 82 does. I also gave up on this idea cause I'd have to remove the whole dash to install it.

#10 ·
Never ever even seen a trip computer, that must be the rarest of all options on mk2s. I have seen several ptypes with digital dashes though, it was no hack job. I should mention that I've never seen an american ptype with one, but I haven't seen that many ameircan mk2s anyways so that doesn't mean anything. I"m sure its the same in both countries.

G
#15 ·
Very Good info to know.

I am a newbie from upstate NY and without this forum I would be one lost dude. I bought a white 1984 in pretty good shape for 550.00 including a rear & side skirt ground effects package. I dont think I would of bought the car if I didn`t become a member of this forum. Thanks everyone. Anyone having information, clips, how to's, etc on the 84 supra....feel free to send them to me. I can use all the help I can get restoring this beast.

#16 ·
#17 ·
I have seen the legendary trip computer! It consists of two parts. One is mounted on the left side of the console, level with where the steering wheel goes into the dash. Don't remember what it does. The other side has four buttons with lots of little functions. Judging by the owner's behavior, you need the manual if you want to know how it works...'cause it's complex. However, it's REALLY COOL to see....I WANT ONE IN MY '83 P-TYPE!

G
#18 ·
84 supra

My 84 had a 3.73 rear gear in it. The door locks were on the doors.
As far as the rear gear being LSD I don't beleive it was, as it would leave two tire tracks during burn outs.
Car was completely stock except for the stereo and the non power antenna.

#21 ·
Re: LSD

Srider said:
I was under the impression that LSD (Limited Slip) was where only one tire would spin (one wheel wonder is what we called them in high school) and positraction was both wheels turn.

Thanks for the info! :)
Incorrect. Positraction and limited slip are the same thing.

You're comparing an open differential and posi/LSD.

Positraction is the GM name for it from the old school.

No problem. :bthumb:

#24 ·
Just to complicate things, I've recently learned that the new style 84s kicked in mid way in 84. Kinda like we have two generations of 86s. I was at the wrecker the other day and almost half of the 84s there had the old style taillights and frontbumpers. I ordered some taillights off a guy who was parting out an 84 and they were the old style too. His car was really weird though because he had a 4.1 rear end with the old style tails and front bumper cover.

Question for the guy who said he has an 84 with the 3.73 rear end, which taillights do you have on your car? I'm guessing you have the old style which would also mean you have the old 145hp engine too.

G
#25 · (Edited)
suprafiend
I haven't had the 84 for 8 yrs. I couldn't tell you what the tail lights looked like. Sorry. I remember the 3.73 because I compared that code to the code in a haines manual, I checked it several times because I was surprised at the ratio. I remember the front lights wrapped around the fender, the speedo registered 130mph, analog. I think the manufactured date was mid to late 84. It had the single piece spoiler on the back. I now have an 85. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.