Supra Forums banner

The Mk2: L-type and p-type and year differences

73K views 95 replies 39 participants last post by  klausgb 
#1 ·
Just to help clarify the whole P-type and L-type for everybody. Just to let you all know I'm new to this forum! I have had my mk2 for a year now. I have been researching it forever. So here goes all the quick info on it(mk2):

L-type:
82-84 the L-type came with 14x5.5 rims that were used on the regular celicas. They did NOT have the fender flares. They also do not have the 8-way adjustable sport seats. They were available in either 5 speed or 4-speed auto. Digital Dash with a Trip computer were optional only on the L-type. Did not have Limited Slip

P-type:
Has always had the sport seats, 14x7 rims, flares and headlight washers(option, but was not available on the L-type).This was also available witha 4-speed auto or a 5-speed manual. The wing was also only available on the p-type. Did have limited Slip

Year differences:

82:
first year of sale. The had the original steering wheel and the always had a black hatch and bumper regardless of color. Speedometer went up to 85 mph. The p-type could not have leather. They came out with 3.73 gears. Also it debuted with 145 horsepower. Also in 1982 models there was no power antenna instead a glass antenna was used.

83: No changes accept for the addition of TCCS, and the p-type could now have leather, and the addition of the power antenna.

84: In 1984 it gets tricky, all automatic and L-type supras came rated with a 150 h.p. and all 5-speed p-types had 160 h.p. Now this was the first year where the front turn signals were wrapped around. It also got a new steering wheel, cruise control was moved to a stalk on the steering column, and a more aggressive front air dam was installed. Now the gear ratios changed as well. 5-speeds got 4.30 gears while automatics recieved 4.10 gears. Also the mk2 recieved a hatch sticker that went all the way acroos it that said "SUPRA"

85: All mk2's now had 161 h.p., they also recieved a new spoiler that went the length of the hatch. The l-types, also got new rims they looked exactly like p-type rims, but were in a 15x6 version and were silver clear coat painted. Not many know this, but 85s had heated mirrors which are activated with the rear defroster.

86: The last year, the only change was a CHMSL on the spoiler to conform to federal regulations.

Keep in mind there were color changes through thius time.

hope that helps.

joe

See less See more
G
#52 ·
I'm looking to buy a Mk2 - but I only want it if it has an LSD. Now a lot of sellers are 2nd or 3rd owners and don't know if they have a P or L type. Aside from measuring tires, is there any other constant (letter in the VIN maybe) that tells which it is? I was going by fender flares but apparently a lot of people like to add them afterwards? (I'm in Canada so the LSD was an option on the ltype as well which makes it even harder)

That way if I can confirm over the phone that it's a Ptype I'm not wasting my time driving over to check it out.

I read the thread, printed out the original post and have all the important bits highlighted. But I just don't know how to visually check for LSD.

Thanks!

Khyron

#53 ·
Look under the hood at the data plate on the bottom line should be a series of numbers and letters. Look for something like F followed by 3 numbers. This will tell you if you have an LSD or not and also what gear ration orginally. For instance F283 would be a 4.30 LSD. The "28" is the gear ratio and the
"3" indicates LSD. A non LSD car would be F282, "2" for non LSD. Generally speaking pretty much all 5 spd cars came with a factory LSD as well as most of the automatic P-types.

G
#55 ·
hi guys and girls a little note for all u mk2 lovers, from down near austraila a country called New Zealand
we got a lot of imports from japan as well as the models they sold new hear
lots of models had lots of variations that u hav'nt seen maybe?
New Zealand models L type had
5mgeu
xxbages
14" wheels
non indicator rap around bumpers,they in gauard
air con
key petrol flap
power windows
blue interior/ ajustable front seats
non winged ingition
centered reverse lights in taillights
no rear spoiler
pull out door handles
no emission gear
flat front window beading
no lsd
w57 /w58
or auto

p type
5mgeu
w57/58
or auto
rap around indicators
pull up door handles
no catalac converters
groved tail lights
no window squaters in front nose
spoilered hatch with solid rubber window rubber
different window suround on front
power mirrors sunroof maybe
winged ingition barrel
no key lock in petrol flap
flared guards
some came out with 15" 8" rims
digital dash and analog
no cruise control
no emission shit

ok imports
some had 5mgeu's, 1gge, 2ltr sohoc turbo six there are more motors that were used but can't remeber them all
the celica was the l type and the p type was the celcia supra
there are some many variations very hard to list as they changed so much the celica had all sorts
lsd's w55 w57 w58 and auto's
sun roofs
no side mirrors/ some did
power windows/ hand wind
beaded window surrounds front and back
power antenaa/ most did not
buget seats and full justable seats
ac
all different types of interiors blue/brown/black
pull out door handles
some came out with rap around indicators/bumper but most came out with normal indicators in gaurds/bumper
cruize control, emission control,catalac conveters
ditital and anlog dashs
trip meters and service meters

i thought i had it sorted and the other day i picked up a xx celica and it had all the p type gear but with standard non flared gaurds
and it had a 1gge with a w55 no lsd ( import)
15"7" supra wheels year 85
it had as all stumped
as i said the imports have so many variations its hard to keep on top of them all ( i got this car for free)
well i better go
sorry i have a mk2 celica that has been repowered by a lexus v8(supacharged)and soon will be going ,it is a total rebuild from the ground up and has been a 4 year project,contact me if u want any info

G
#57 ·
trip computer

When I purchased my 86 MKII (purchased it new in 86) it had the trip computer listed as an option. I think it was $550.00 (+/-) then and approx $1200.00 to add after the sale. Needless to say I did not get it as I was young and LUCKY to be able to afford the car to begin with.
Still got her!
Windecker

G
#58 ·
I hav been researching now for some houres about the swedish mkII,

sweden started selling supra's 1984, and there where only L type avalible and it had LSD and some other things that the P type had, like the same 14*7 rims insted of the 14*5.5 that the usial L type had, sports seats, flares and headlight washers, and so on. but sad sad, sweden had som strange laws about exhaust fumes so we had a SOCH 5M-E insted of the DOCH 5M-GE. :( this make me bouth glad and sad.

#60 ·
hey ya'll...
now i've got a strange one here for ya... trying to find out what or where it came from

all we know so far is...
originally came with a 5me
has L type body
came with trip meter
digital dash
power windows, mirrors
manual seats
black hatch & bumpers
is registered as an 81
has headlight washers as well
and 14.6" wheels

any help finding out the originality of this car much appreciated ;)

Cheers

Suze

G
#61 ·
Is it RHD?
If it's got a 5M-E and it's RHD then it must be an AUS car, though I thought they didn't get them until late '83.

Have you got the VIN? That'll tell what market it was built for and the original spec.

#62 ·
yes it is rhd and unfotunately the car was stolen and recovered..... TWICE :eek:
vin tags all ripped off... no id tags anywhere :(
any other ideas hehe

G
#63 ·
With the id gone you're probably never going to know for sure. It does sound like a Japanese spec car, except for the engine. Could it have been imported and then had the engine changed for some reason? Has the engine got it's serial number? Has the car got Supra badges or XX ones?

#64 ·
well i'm sure originally it had xx badges all round and can no longer look at the original engine.. its gone now lol... guess i'll never know :p
thanks anyway :)

#71 ·
I believe some white cars in 82 and 83 didn't have the black hatch thing, not sure why.

I have an 85 p-type that has the digital dash and the trip monitor, probably the rarest of all combinations....so it definitely exists.
Does the speed read in kilometers and you have to set it to mph? It's probably Canadian. USDM P-types did NOT have digital clusters.

Any info on roofs? My '82 had a sunroof that went back & under the top thanks to the long roof ( mkiii was too short-fuggedaboutit). Also there is a T-top one for sale on that website that we're not supposed to mention, Were there any factory T-tops? I can't recall any.

Mk2s only had hardtop and sunroofs, no t-tops from the factory.

#75 ·
Sport seat/standard seat

Years ago, I almost bought an 82 L-type in Sacramento, CA. An older guy was selling it, it had no modifications, and it had the sport seats. The upholstery matched the rest of the interior perfectly, so it's likely that the sport seats were available on L-types.
Currently, my mother has an 84 P-type, that she bought from the first owner. It has the standard seats. I'm 100% sure that it was not modified, so there are at least a handful of P-types that didn't come with the sport seats.

#76 · (Edited)
@ 2damaxsupra

"long live the mkii oh ya the canadian spec type P can get digit dash from i heard but is not common"

//

Y'ello! I've got one actually. Just picked it up a few days ago. I'm going to put up a pic of the dash (plus trip computer!) tomorrow somewhere on this site.

Mine also has a leather interior. Not sure if that adds to the supposed "rarity"? I hope so :D